History: the legendary sniper in U.S. history [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : History: the legendary sniper in U.S. history

theTactician
05-29-2006, 19:56
HIs name: Carlos Hathcock

With probably more than 300 kills during the Vietnam War, Carlos Hathcock is the most famous sniper in United States History. The North Vietnamese put a $30,000 bounty on his head and called him "Long Trang" or White Feather. Hathcock was once accredited with hitting an NVA at 2,500 yards with a special scope-adapted .50 caliber machine gun converted to single shot operation. The year before going to Vietnam, Carlos won top honors at the National Rifle matches at Camp Perry Ohio. Hathcock began honing his rifle skills at an early age bringing home food for the family table in rural Arkansas. When an armored vehicle he was riding in hit a mine and caught fire in Vietnam, he was sent back to the U.S. to recover from extensive burns. Although he was unable to return to Vietnam, he put his efforts into establishing the Scout/Sniper school at Quantico Virginia. Here, Hathcock spoke against the "John Wayne" mentality of many soldiers, always emphasising skill and quiet deliberate thought as essential to be an effective sniper. Sadly, what the North Vietnamese couldn't do, was finally done by the slow debilitating disease of multiple sclerosis at the age of 57.

vega
05-29-2006, 20:13
I believe he was the one who shot a Vietcong general (?) and he crawled 3 days to reach his objective. After shooting the officer he can't run because it will give away his position so he crawled away again until is was safe to run.

wingz
05-29-2006, 20:14
Good day Sir, I've read a book about him I think Marine Sniper was the title. He was attributed to killing several high ranking Charlie officers at nearly close range w/o being noticed; inching his way slowly towards the enemy positions for days by crawling!- deliberately ignoring insect bites, weather and hunger. I remember the .50 cal machine gun that was used on a VC, IIRC, that VC was a boy riding a bicycle who was a guide for NVAs. The book is my eldest brother's. I think I'll have to borrow it again. Last time I read it was in the late 80's during my college days. Thanks for opening this thread Sir.:cool:

Benj
05-29-2006, 22:15
I was able to download a video called "The Ultimate Sniper". Part 1 was an instructional while part 2 was an interview with Carlos Hathcock with some very interesting stories.

horge
05-29-2006, 22:36
My favorite anecdote is how he shot an enemy sniper
in the eye, through the guy's scope --a feat since
strip-mined by many a Hollywood travesty, like
'Saving Private Ryan'.

To hear Hatchcock tell it, he just saw a gleam in the undergrowth
at great distance (glare off the other fella's scope) and fired.
Point is, the other guy obviously had Carlos in HIS crosshairs,
and was a heartbeat away from pulling the trigger.

Eeeeeeeeeeee.
:shocked:

theTactician
05-29-2006, 23:35
i wish i have that talent. it really takes great concentration, focus and endurance to become a good shooter. i've long been wanting to go into deer hunting and rifle competitions here in the u.s. im still confused as to what rifle im gonna get. since the m40a1 sniper rifle is exclusively for marines, i dont think i can buy one so i'll probably settle for the m1a national match rifle from springfield armory which costs something like 2000 dollars plus.
i like sniper stories. i like vassili zaitsev and the red army snipers. then i heard of carlos hatchcock...wow, he's amazing. of the 300 reported kills, i believe, if im not mistaken, 98 were totally confirmed.

jasonub
05-30-2006, 01:07
i have the book who wants it for 300 pesos??

also the record holder now is a marine sniper too stationed at iraq i forgot the website but i think his confirmed kills is above 110 as of a month or 2 ago:shocked:

wingz
05-30-2006, 03:04
What about the movie "Shot Through The Heart", any of you guys have watched it? It was based on the true story of two National Rifle Team members of Yugoslavia ( not sure ) which ended up being worst sniper enemies when civil war broke out. One hunting the other not knowing until lately that it's his shooting buddy at the national team, his after. very nice movie IMHO.

Wp.22
05-30-2006, 03:39
shot through the heart. i remember a scene na nagprapractice sila binabaril nila yung parang bunga ng aratilis na nasa barbeque stick. IT was a civil war in sarajevo.

wingz
05-30-2006, 04:05
Originally posted by Wp.22
shot through the heart. i remember a scene na nagprapractice sila binabaril nila yung parang bunga ng aratilis na nasa barbeque stick. IT was a civil war in sarajevo.

Yupp. That was the early part of the movie. I think mas magaling yung sniper who got shot in the ending. He made a killer shot which an ordinary sniper might not able to figure out the location of the shooter. Sad thing is that, the poor target was his national team buddy's girl neighbor, and his friend knew on that moment, that it was his ex teammate who's making those fatals, yet nonsense sniping spree against them. Kaya sa ending he was shot by his former buddy while getting ready to leave his house, never gave him a chance to fight back. What a waste of talent...

theTactician
05-30-2006, 12:45
Originally posted by jasonub
i have the book who wants it for 300 pesos??

also the record holder now is a marine sniper too stationed at iraq i forgot the website but i think his confirmed kills is above 110 as of a month or 2 ago:shocked:

really? i didnt know that. wow, 110 confirmed kills? he's one helluva snipa.:alien:

theTactician
05-30-2006, 13:18
sending in the best sniper team i believe, is the best way to counter terrorists in modern urban warfare...it is precise and as deadly as sending a guided missile into the heart of the enemy's stronghold. this way, you minimize civilian casualties as well as infantrymen deaths and you zero in only on your principal targets. maybe in the philippines too, i dont know if they have it, they should put up a sniper training school for those people (civilian/military) who have potential in the sniping art. Only those who qualify can graduate and get a handsome pay/reward for every enemy kill.

paltik45
05-30-2006, 17:03
We already have an extensive sniper schools/program in the AFP. The army has its Scout Ranger sniper school and the marines. You can check them out at the "Phil. Defense Forces Forum" website. They have active members in the military and police. Check the army forum and click on the "SR Sustainement training" post. You will find CDF's(cold dead fish) declassified sniper photos. ;)

theTactician
05-30-2006, 17:51
there's another legendary marine sniper by the name of gunnery sgt. jack coughlin,usmc who wrote the book entitled"shooter"..his autobiograhpy and he has 60 plus confirmed kills. not as much as carlos hathcock though but they're both good in their deadly craft of stealth and accuracy.

jasonub
05-30-2006, 18:14
tactician ill look for the site in the meantime here is the sniper who has the official farthest confirmed kill using a 308 at 1250 meters

Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M24 rifle, Staff Sgt Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier.

His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth-floor bay window of a hospital in battle-torn Ramadi, still clasping a long-barrelled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 feet high.

A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of 1,250 metres, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 1,000 metres.

"I believe it is the longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle," said Staff Sgt Gilliland, 28, who hunted squirrels in Double Springs, Alabama from the age of five before progressing to deer - and then people.

"He was visible only from the waist up. It was a one in a million shot. I could probably shoot a whole box of ammunition and never hit him again."

TOO LONG SO ILL POST THE SITE

CLICK ME SITE (http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/01/one_shot_kill.html)

quick
05-30-2006, 23:18
Originally posted by paltik45
We already have an extensive sniper schools/program in the AFP. The army has its Scout Ranger sniper school and the marines. You can check them out at the "Phil. Defense Forces Forum" website. They have active members in the military and police. Check the army forum and click on the "SR Sustainement training" post. You will find CDF's(cold dead fish) declassified sniper photos. ;)

very nice. the forums contained many interesting topics. thanks.

for those who couldn't find it, or couldn;t be bothered looking. here is the link: http://pdff.sytes.net/index.php?showtopic=1092

:)