Enlistment Advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment Advice

subsonic
06-01-2006, 18:12
I am really considering enlisting in the next couple of weeks. I want to go 18B but I just missed the age cut-off for civilian entry. I was told that once I was in, I could get an age waiver. I plan on going in as 11B and would like to do an Airborne contract at the very least. Two of the things I want to do is airborne school and sniper school. Any suggestions on achieving these goals? TIA

gsr
06-02-2006, 19:15
Don't injure your knees.

Coastietech
06-02-2006, 19:20
I hate to say it but if it's not i writing then it's not worth ****. The recruiters jobs is to get people in. Some of them will lie to do that. Your recruiter may be telling you the truth and there may be a chance that you get what you want want, but unless it is in writing there is a chance you won't get what you were promised.

stiletto raggio
06-02-2006, 20:24
True. Be smart with the recruiter and if he tries any (get to inrocessing and they'll give it to you there" crap tell him it's a no-go. How old are you, by the way? I ask because if you plan on doing the grunt bit, a late start is a distinct and unqualified disadvantage. Several of my mentors were in the 82nd and I can tell you that you are sacrificing your body for that privilege.

Also, what sort of education do you have? Any previous training? Why 11B? I'm not nay-saying, but I thought I wanted to be Infantry before I joined the Army. After a bit of field training I realized it wasn't the life for me. Any more info you could give would be a big help in giving you guidance.

DriBak
06-02-2006, 20:59
I was 11B for three years, it put 10 years on my body and I am now 10% disabled.

Bravo-Four
06-03-2006, 15:23
Subsonic,

I have been to both Airborne and Sniper. I'll tell you a bit about how you can get there. First off, I highly recommend, highly, recommend that you go 11B and join a major airborne entity, (173rd in italy, 82nd airborne, 101st airborne etc) You can switch MOS's later. You will not regret starting in the Infantry, it will develop you the best as a soldier. From there, you will spend some time in your line unit training, training, and likely deploying. If you want to get sniper school, it is a must that you are in the infantry. When you are placed in your infantry batallion after basic, let them know your desire to become sniper, and try to move at all times to your batallions HHC, that is where your scouts and snipers are at. Even if you are stuck in a line company, find out where your HHC is at, and talk to your scouts/snipers. Get to know them good enough, they can rub elbows and get you in. Remember, be extremely professional when you get to your unit, set an image in your NCO's head that you are a go getter and they can rely on you. They'll send you after enough desire shown on your part. Airborne is easy to get if you are bound to an airborne unit, sniper will be the difficult part. I got it because I wanted it bad, if you want it bad, you will get it too, I promise you. You just have to be patient, and from here on out, take it one day at a time.

Sapperstang
06-03-2006, 17:14
Getting Airborne should not be hard. Just make sure you get it in your enlistment contract. Make sure you get to an airborne unit which was already stated.

A_Swede_17_1911
06-04-2006, 09:24
Fastest way is the way your going, to get to an Airborne Divison, the only division that is still 100% Airborne is the 82nd Airborne Division. Also there are other Airborne Units in Italy and Alaska. One way of getting to Sniper school quicker is to try out for the Scout/Sniper Platoon, once you get to you assigned Battalion, is usally a try out basis, and they usally hold try out 2-3 times a years depeneding on how many people are coming or going.

You could find your self getting an Airborne Infantry slot when you go to pick out your job. I know that alot of people have been going to Houston MEPS, were im an Army Recruiter at and havent been able to get both 11X and an Airborne contract, but you still can manage to get sniper, if you go to a divison like the 101st, 10th mountain, or the 25th. These are all light divisons, and generally use small unit tactics.

Go to Ranger School as soon as you can, that will open alot of different schools to you like sniper, and the like.

Stay motivated and focused, and you will be able to accomplish your goals.

subsonic
06-04-2006, 18:27
Thank you everybody for the info. I will do the ASVAB thing next week and see what they have to say at the MEPS station.

subsonic
06-04-2006, 18:34
Originally posted by stiletto raggio
True. Be smart with the recruiter and if he tries any (get to inrocessing and they'll give it to you there" crap tell him it's a no-go. How old are you, by the way? I ask because if you plan on doing the grunt bit, a late start is a distinct and unqualified disadvantage. Several of my mentors were in the 82nd and I can tell you that you are sacrificing your body for that privilege.

Also, what sort of education do you have? Any previous training? Why 11B? I'm not nay-saying, but I thought I wanted to be Infantry before I joined the Army. After a bit of field training I realized it wasn't the life for me. Any more info you could give would be a big help in giving you guidance.

I just turned 30 and I've got Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice. I've got 9 years experience as a LEO and I am a Firearms Instructor with a few hundred hours of weapons training in Handgun, Shotgun, Submachine Gun, Open Sight Rifle and Precision Rifle courses.

11B is the very least that I would go but I prefer that type of MOS as that is the type of work I like doing. I enjoy being on the front lines more then being back in command as I have had supervisory roles before and I prefer the grunt work.