buying second hand? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : buying second hand?

magister
06-01-2006, 23:35
how does one go about buying a used firearm? i assume, as a first step, the serial number of the firearm needs to be checked with the FED. (i understand gun shops can do this for you for a fee.) after this, what paperwork is next? may deed of sale ba yan? is it like applying for a new firearms license?

also, what things should one look out for? what needs to be checked with the gun before committing to buy?

thanks in advance for your inputs. :)

3kings
06-02-2006, 00:18
if you are going to buy a 2nd hand firearm check out the license if it is still valid and probably you can verify it with FED. if it checks out to be ok, then just go to the nearest gunstore to have it transferred.

if the f/a is not licensed then that is a problem. better not buy it or wait for amnesty.

if you are looking at a pistol,
a. remove the slide and look at the receiver. note the condition of the inner side of the reciever if its wear is even or not. if not there may be a problem.
b. with gun assembled, mag out (no load in gun) squeeze and hold trigger while you rack the slide. if the hammer falls down, there might be a problem
c. hold the receiver with one hand and hold the slide with the other, try to twist, if there is too much play between the two then it may need some adjustment/repair
d. lastly just plain physical observation will do. if it does not look ok chances are the internals arent also.

my 3cents

pogie45
06-02-2006, 00:20
If you can, try to shoot the gun for accuracy & reliability check before buying.

antediluvianist
06-02-2006, 03:59
Have the seller give you the license of the gun. Make the deed of sale (standard wording)....and then..oh well actually you can have a gunstore help you work out all the documentation, just give them a thou or so. Let them interface with the authorities re: all those other steps..ultimately getting the gunlicense in your name. Then you need to get the PTT too, presumably through the gunstore.

If the seller of the gun is a decent guy, there will be no problem. I bought a revolver from BOG member Hermo Gut and everything worked out just fine ; also bought a shotgun from BOG member Paltog and everything went fine. I have also sold two guns to two different people. If you deal with honorable people, no problem; if not, you are probably screwed. Dealing with BOG members should work out just fine.

i_am_infinity
06-02-2006, 06:44
Sabi sakin ng tiga FED wala na daw non-appearance sa gunsafety seminar since nahuli ung tiga FED na nag ffake ng mga certs.

Magister,

Check ur PM

Thanks

antediluvianist
06-02-2006, 07:21
The FED will get strict about the gun safety seminar? I have to see that to believe it. . Baka mahina lang ang gunstore.

PMMA97
06-02-2006, 08:05
Originally posted by i_am_infinity
Sabi sakin ng tiga FED wala na daw non-appearance sa gunsafety seminar since nahuli ung tiga FED na nag ffake ng mga certs.

Magister,

Check ur PM

Thanks

I never saw my safety seminar certificate when I personally renewed my license at FED.

vega
06-02-2006, 09:06
Originally posted by magister
also, what things should one look out for? what needs to be checked with the gun before committing to buy?
Pistol or revolver?
Check the crown and make sure no ding.
ETA:
Bore should be smooth.
Wear on a particular portion shows it to be carried a lot, I don't see a problem with that but you might be picky.
Cylinder should (only) have little play.
If it's a revo I'll post later.

If the license is expired, you or the seller just have to pay the fee for the expired years. You can still legally buy it and the seller legally sell it.

jimbullet
06-02-2006, 20:57
Im actually at the other side of the fence as I am selling my firearm. The gun is licensed and all - no problem. What I am worried about is that if a sale pushes thru, how do I now document this? I understand of course just like selling a car, a deed of sale must be present, but will this be enough? My fear is that what if the firearm is used in something bad after the date of sale? Baka ako managot.

jimbullet
06-02-2006, 20:59
On the gun safety, I believe they submit a picture of you holding a gun supposedly when you had your gun safety made. That is as far as what I know

vega
06-02-2006, 22:10
Originally posted by jimbullet
Im actually at the other side of the fence as I am selling my firearm. The gun is licensed and all - no problem. What I am worried about is that if a sale pushes thru, how do I now document this? I understand of course just like selling a car, a deed of sale must be present, but will this be enough? My fear is that what if the firearm is used in something bad after the date of sale? Baka ako managot.
After the official transfer from FED, you should ask a copy of the yellow slip to show proof that the liability is off your hands. Deed of Sale (for FA) is not acceptable in court of Law against civil matter. Even if the buyer pays you 100%, don't give possession (sp) of the FA. Turnnit over only after you have a copy of the yellow slip. The vendee should provide you one.

toxic
06-03-2006, 01:03
Originally posted by jimbullet

try to call a gunstore of your choice , they can assist you in your transactions.

antediluvianist
06-03-2006, 01:09
As toxic said. Both of my sales were assisted by a gunrange-gunstore, and the sales went perfectly smoothly. These guys do this sort of thing all the time/have all the FED/police contacts, deed of sale formats, know the documentary requirements etc.

Peace of mind. And yes, you get the documentary proof that the buyer owns the gun and has possession of it .

I repeat : sell a gun to or buy a gun from, a BOG.

jimbullet
06-03-2006, 05:22
Thanks a lot, I will take note of this, especially sell it to a BOG;) ..... Antediluvianist, perhaps I can interest you in the pistol I am currently selling.....:cool:

antediluvianist
06-03-2006, 06:14
Well actually I don't get enough freetime to go to the range with the 2 guns I do have.

Good luck to you.

Kiddo
06-03-2006, 07:22
Originally posted by vega
After the official transfer from FED, you should ask a copy of the yellow slip to show proof that the liability is off your hands. Deed of Sale (for FA) is not acceptable in court of Law against civil matter. Even if the buyer pays you 100%, don't give possession (sp) of the FA. Turnnit over only after you have a copy of the yellow slip. The vendee should provide you one.

To Vega, antediluvianist, and those who have sold some their firearms, is there a specific name to this yellow slip stating that the firearm is already owned by the buyer and you are free of responsibility? Thanks.

deenoh
06-03-2006, 10:23
They are referring to the yellow page of the Temporary License (TL) Form

vega
06-03-2006, 10:24
I can't re-call what it looks like but both vendor and vendee's names will appear. When you first bought your FA you also have that yellow copy which was in liue of your license card. No amount of DEED OF SALE will help you in prosecution. That yellow form is what you legally need to show proof of transfer. Of course the vendor will only get photo copy and not really yellow. The vendee will get the original since he is now the new owner.