off hand grip? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : off hand grip?

magister
06-03-2006, 18:17
how important is the off hand grip in contolling a pistol (recoil and aim)? how much tension/force should be used? the thing is i shoot slightly low to the left with a two-handed grip but spot on with a one-handed grip (i am right handed btw). i figured i was not holding the pistol correctly with my off hand?

tips anyone for a noob pistolero?

thanks! :)

vega
06-03-2006, 19:29
Originally posted by magister
the thing is i shoot slightly low to the left with a two-handed grip but spot on with a one-handed grip (i am right handed btw).
Recoil anticipation, you are flinching. Low to the left for right handed persons are normal for newbies, even oldies. I myself is guilty. Somewhere deep in your sub-concious mind is telling you to fight that recoil so your stronghand (which is right) pulls the pistol down just before you pull the trigger. Didn't you notice this when you run out of ammo.

When I was a newbie I was taught this, with my strong hand I grip the FA 40% and with my weak hand 60%. Meaning my weak hand has more pressure than the strong one. There might be other techniques out there but that is the one I'm using and it works for me.

Alexii
06-03-2006, 21:48
Yup, I was taught the same approach as Vega's. 60 percent strength for the weak hand and 40 percent for the strong hand. The logic of this approach, I guess, is to afford your trigger finger more control by lessening the tremor that often accompanies a tight grip. It is like that in my case.

What I found out later, and perhaps just as important is how you apply the pressure to the grip. Do you apply it to the side of the grip with palm pressure being countered by finger pressure? Detractors say it will cause your shots to string laterally if the pressure isn't optimized. Or does the push-pull pressure of both hands afford more control, meaning the pressure is applied in the front and rear of the grip, and not the sides? You'd be well served to learn both schools of thought.

Learn also the difference between Weaver and Isosceles stance. I know you asked about the grip but it seems that everything is interrelated in shooting.

pogie45
06-03-2006, 23:08
Here is the link to Todd Jarrett IPSC Pistol Grip Lesson video ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363&q=handgun

Learn and enjoy...

Allegra
06-03-2006, 23:33
weaver sucks :)

blueeagle
06-09-2006, 02:48
go fo the modern isosceles stance plus lots of practice!:rollsmiley:

mc_oliver
06-09-2006, 10:19
If you're having problems with your grip, first make sure your hands aren't wet/sweaty. If they are, it will be difficult to diagnose your problem since the gun will be slipping in your hands. Try some pro-grip (or any anti-perspirant) and see if your gun-handling improves.