Boot Camp 20060612! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp 20060612!

coltremington
06-04-2006, 02:52
So I'm shipping out to MCRD San Diego a week from Monday. Any advice, do's/dont's from anyone??

E5MC
06-04-2006, 11:54
Keep your suck shut and do what your told. Good luck, and let us know if you make it.

1800bigk
06-04-2006, 12:58
Ditto the last comment. Stay hydrated because you dont want to be the guy that passes out from heat exhaustion.

Ignition
06-04-2006, 13:31
strive to do the best, move fast, stay quiet, dont take ANYTHING personal, and just play the games.

dont take anything with you except the clothes on your back and your liscense and some stamps for writing home if and when you have the time to write home.

water is your friend and always give 100%

Gl and hopefully in 3 months we can welcome you into our wonderful family

able1234
06-04-2006, 18:50
Remember that everything that happens in Boot Camp is to change you from a civilian to a Marine. There have been many that have successfully treaded this path before you. You can also tread this path successfully.

I can remember standing by the fence next to the San Diego airport watching planes take off and wishing I was on one of them. I didn't care where it was going. Finally I became a Marine and made it on one of those planes.

There are two groups of people who really understand what a United States Marine is all about. The first group are US Marines. The second group are the unlucky SOBs that take on the US Marines in combat. Every one else in the world only has 2nd hand knowledge of what a United States Marine is all about.

Good Luck, I am looking forward to welcoming you into the Brotherhood in about 4 months from now.

coltremington
06-04-2006, 18:55
Good deal. Is there anything else that would be good memorize before I go? (i.e. General Orders, ect.)

1800bigk
06-04-2006, 21:14
It wouldn't hurt to know your general orders before you get there, but you will spend plenty of time memorizing and reciting them while you are there. What I am about to say next might not sound right, but if you are in pretty good shape and do what they tell you, then you will probably have a lot of fun at MCRD. I went through Parris Island in '96 and most of the kids in my platoon had a blast. Of course there were days that sucked, and the DI's will smoke you on the spot sometimes, but sometimes they do some funny ass ****. Just stay hydrated, learn to love PT, keep your body weight down and have a can do attitude and you will be more than fine.

inkslut
06-04-2006, 21:57
Originally posted by coltremington
Good deal. Is there anything else that would be good memorize before I go? (i.e. General Orders, ect.)

Get alot of sleep before you head out, cuz there won't be any for about 3 days when you first get there. Wear running shoes on the plane, you don't want to be the dumb ass walking around in BDUs and loafers for the 1st week or so.

Pay close attention to everything that your DIs say, it is for a reason and a good reason. You will hear the same stuff a thousand times during the 3 months or so.

Stay motivated, noone will do it for you. Stay hydrated, they will do that for you too but it is most unpleasant.

Stay out of sick back at all costs, don't even think about trying to steal the candy from your MREs or you will end up getting a blanket party after your whole platoon gets thrashed at your expense.

Eat fast, drink fast, run fast, talk fast,

Breathe, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze.

That should about do it for now.

Semper Fi and good luck.

Ignition
06-05-2006, 03:47
ahhhhh some of the funny things taht happened back in boot camp.... lol

we had one recruit that no one liked, was overweight too.... well lets just say the morning of company commander's inspection, he woke up with the word FAT written on his forehead in edge dressing....

it was funny till we all paid for it on the quarterdeck.... but then the DI's couldnt even hold their bearing for much too long either.

he had to scrub and scrub to get that off.... funny looking back now

lethrnk
06-05-2006, 05:48
Get USMC tattooed on your shoulder before you go...:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

Not really... Good luck to you... Keep your bearing... Keep your mouth shut... Don't volunteer for anything...

coltremington
06-06-2006, 02:52
Can anyone tell me how long MCT school is and if anyone might know how long my MOS school might be? I'm an 0844 (Field Artillery, Fire Direction/Control) by the way (active duty).

I'm sure my recruiter could tell me but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also... what happens next? Where might I go from there?

inkslut
06-06-2006, 08:16
Originally posted by coltremington
Can anyone tell me how long MCT school is and if anyone might know how long my MOS school might be? I'm an 0844 (Field Artillery, Fire Direction/Control) by the way (active duty).

I'm sure my recruiter could tell me but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also... what happens next? Where might I go from there?

MCT is 1 month. MOS schools vary depending on the school. After that you go to your unit.

truckstop cop
06-06-2006, 11:03
good luck to you!!! my daughter just recently graduated from Parris Island. focus on your goal of being a marine.

able1234
06-06-2006, 11:54
Originally posted by truckstop cop
good luck to you!!! my daughter just recently graduated from Parris Island. focus on your goal of being a marine.

Followed your posts about your daughter. She is now a Marine and will always forever be a Marine. In ALL reference of United States Marines the word Marine is capitalized.

on target
06-06-2006, 21:06
Practice yelling very loud from your gut not your throat, it can save you a lot of misery LOL

FireGuy
06-08-2006, 09:44
You need to turn your loved ones on to the support web sites. Regardless of how much they think they know, a little help is always a good way to relieve the tension they are going to feel while you are being transformed into a Marine.

The best site found so far (and totally free with no strings) is:
http://www.recruitparents.com

Later on they can go to an associated site:
http://www.usmcparents.com

I'll be in San Diego for my nephew's graduation in August - 51 weeks after my son graduated. :supergrin:

Good Luck, and I'll probably see you if you are in San Diego - as another of those "almost a Marine" types marching down the steet... :rollsmiley:

coltremington
06-10-2006, 12:25
Well I appreciate everything. I'll update when i get back.

MCRD San Diego
Golf Company
Scheduled Graduation- Sept 8

Ignition
06-10-2006, 16:00
enjoy ur last weekend as a "nasty civilian"

texas_mustang
06-12-2006, 02:17
Hey guys,

Colt's my bud and he's in route. He'll be on the yellow footprints sometime late tonight.

If you are the praying type, keep him in your thoughts today.

Semper Fi

coltremington
09-10-2006, 18:56
Well, I made it. Back home at last. It seemed like it was never going to end but now it seems like just last week I was standing on those yellow footprints. I freaking love it. On the plane ride home I bought dinner and drinks for my family and the flight attendant would take my money. She said "oh I saw your uniform, your money isnt good here," and everything was free. Pretty much the greatest feeling in the world. I can't wait to get back in training.

357glocker
09-11-2006, 07:58
Congrats, boot! It's funny how even now when looking back at my "yearbook" I can recognize the barracks and the sandpits I spent time in! My favorite game was probably the indy 500. The funniest day was when the recruit directly across the squad bay got his "BC" glasses. My favorite course of training was the range (of course). Memories! Good luck, and thanks for your service:thumbsup:

gruntmedik
09-12-2006, 15:33
Welcome aboard, Marine :patriot: :usmc:

USMC Ryfleman
09-12-2006, 15:51
Just sound off as loud as you can each and every time and youll be fine. Oh yeah dont ***** on the deck in the head, it seemed to make the DI really angry.

Trason
09-13-2006, 11:33
Congrats Marine!!

Welcome to the brotherhood, keep up the motivation, have as much fun as possible at all times, because you will always look back and remember the good times. The experience you will gain over the next several, or more years will never be duplicated. Enjoy being an active Marine, unfortunatly, you will have to leave active duty at some point. So MAKE THE MOST OF IT! NEVER QUIT! And THANK YOU for your service!

SEMPER FI!

09-13-2006, 11:48
I graduated from Boot Camp many years ago. The memory is still fresh in my mind. I am today because of my time spent in the USMC.

Enjoy it.

rick458
09-23-2006, 04:28
Welcome Aboard Marine, Good luck and God Speed to you:usmc:

Grim Jackal
09-30-2006, 05:44
Enjoy sitting on the toilet for ungoddly amounts of time now, because soon you'll wish you had:rofl: You'll understand this all in good time:tongueout:

SemperFi
10-07-2006, 05:12
All good advice. Add to keep slient unless you have something that has to be said, and make sure Sir is the first and last word out of your mouth. The words you and I should be forgotten until you graduate Boot Camp. Good Luck.

reconvic
10-08-2006, 14:13
Listen intensely and always start off and finish by saying sir!
Once your feet hit the yellow footprints the world as you know it will never be the same. You will belong to a brotherhood like no other. Best of luck, S.F.Vic