Help guys [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help guys

JohnnyReb
06-08-2006, 18:25
I went to the recruiter and I'm very unsure about if I should join the USMC reserve or not. I really don't want to go in as active duty because I'm applying to police departments and a couple sheriff's departments.

My dream is to become a cop. Always has been and always will be.

But, something has drawn me to the Military. And really the only branch that interests me is the USMC.

So I'm thinking, if I were to go the military route, reserves would be the best way for me. I could be a cop and a Marine at the same time.

However, to be honest I'm very nervous/scared to join. Mostly becuase I'm worried about the commitment. I'm worried that I'll join the reserves for 4, 5 or 6 years and hate every second of it and I will be stuck.

Is this normal and did you guys have this feeling?

I want to serve my country and I honestly don't give a s**t about joining because of the GI bill. To me, I think that's the wrong reason to join. You should join because you want to serve your country and you should be willing to do so (as I would of course be willing to be). Better me go then a 35 year old with a family.

I'm just really concerned that I will not like it and be stuck for years. Its such a long commitment that I could not just "quit" if I hated it.

I really have a desire to serve my country I'm just having last minute reservations. Can anyone help me?

Sentry Post #1
06-12-2006, 11:42
Originally posted by JohnnyReb
I went to the recruiter and I'm very unsure about if I should join the USMC reserve or not. I really don't want to go in as active duty because I'm applying to police departments and a couple sheriff's departments.

My dream is to become a cop. Always has been and always will be.

But, something has drawn me to the Military. And really the only branch that interests me is the USMC.

So I'm thinking, if I were to go the military route, reserves would be the best way for me. I could be a cop and a Marine at the same time.

However, to be honest I'm very nervous/scared to join. Mostly becuase I'm worried about the commitment. I'm worried that I'll join the reserves for 4, 5 or 6 years and hate every second of it and I will be stuck.

Is this normal and did you guys have this feeling?

I want to serve my country and I honestly don't give a s**t about joining because of the GI bill. To me, I think that's the wrong reason to join. You should join because you want to serve your country and you should be willing to do so (as I would of course be willing to be). Better me go then a 35 year old with a family.

I'm just really concerned that I will not like it and be stuck for years. Its such a long commitment that I could not just "quit" if I hated it.

I really have a desire to serve my country I'm just having last minute reservations. Can anyone help me?

Seems to me you should get a CD with Sousa Marching Songs so you can play it when you feel patriotic. That way you can always turn it off whenever you feel like quitting!

JohnnyReb
06-12-2006, 13:17
Originally posted by Sentry Post #1
Seems to me you should get a CD with Sousa Marching Songs so you can play it when you feel patriotic. That way you can always turn it off whenever you feel like quitting!

:upeyes:

Jeez...:upeyes:

I know there has to be Marines, both current and former that have had the same exact feelings.

It's a long commitment that I'm not taking the decision lightly. When I saw that someone posted in this thread, I thought "Hey maybe someone can help me" Nope. All I get is spam. Thanks...:upeyes:

txleapd
06-13-2006, 09:03
Don't worry about Sentry Post #1, Johnny. Anyone that would waste their first post on such an asinine comment isn't worth a second thought...

As for the Corps, my personal experiences will not be yours. I spent a little over 6 years in the Marines, and the only reason I got out is because I didn't want to raise a family under the threat of constant deployments. Even in "peace time" Marine Corps units are forward deployed. I spoke with too many SNCO's about how they missed their kid's first step, first day of school, birth, etc... and decided that I didn't want that for my kids.

I spent 4 years in an infantry battalion and 2 years in a support unit, and leaving the Corps is still one of the hardest things that I have ever done. I loved being in the Marine Corps, and I loved being an active duty Marine. I did my share of griping an complaining, but I never once doubted my decision to become a Marine.

You're right that it's not for everyone, but I have little doubt that you would excel in the Corps. I think that you should consider going active duty and just give 'em 4 years of your life. The reason I say this is because with the current world events, you're going to end up getting activated anyway. Deployments always seemed easier on the active duty guys than it did on the reservist who had to tear themselves away from their lives.

Being a Marine is a calling. It's not an easy life, but it is rewarding. It is something that you will be proud of your entire life. If you really want to answer that calling, then make the commitment and see it through. If you don't really want to, then don't. In the end you have to look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what it is that YOU really want to do.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide...

Sentry Post #1
06-14-2006, 13:24
Yes my post was asinine. It was meant to be very symbolic and asinine. This is a Marine Forum and to ask those who walked the walk and earned the right to be called Marine this question is lacking a lot of thought and may even by some be called asinine.

No Marine can truthfully answer the question because they didn't quit. They may have wondered prior to joining if they could pack the mail and get it done. Their D. I's helped them with that question.

With those thoughts he may be best served by staying out of any military force, let alone the Marine Corps.

I earned the right to be called a Marine and completed my contract Honorably

Thank you very much!

psddoc
06-18-2006, 11:30
Sentry Post #1, what was your MOS?

I'm only a Navy Corpsman but every time I look at my blouse there is this Eagle, Globe, and Anchor looking back at me. So I feel qualified to answer the questions JohnnyReb is asking.

I'm in a unit of about 25 guys - 24 Marines and me, that is. For some of the guys, this is their third tour here (in Iraq) and they've had enough with the BS which is so deeply embedded in all branches of the military, but is especially prevalent in the Marine Corps. Just understand that you'll have some really crappy days and you'll be fine. Some of my friends here would tell you to run far, far, far away from the recruiter's office.

You'll get a lot of good experience and work with good people - I've worked with the Army and the Air Force and of course the Navy but I have absolute trust in my Marines and would not want anyone else watching my back.

Sentry Post #1
06-18-2006, 14:28
Doc you are missing the point of my message. You and your Marines are not quitters. You and they do not worry about quitting. Of course everything is not always fun and laughs, but you keep going on until you are finished, it is that simple. Yes I as all Marines felt at times it was a big mistake and was fed up with the Mickey Mouse crap, but I never thought about quitting.

Any way this is getting boring, but first keep your head down and Thanks for you and your Marines service. God Bless you and them.
Semper Fi

PS my MOS- it doesn't matter but to answer your request I had several - all combat arms related- 0300 etc, all time spend in the FMF in line companies.

Adios for this post

psddoc
06-18-2006, 14:32
Sentry Post

I get what you're saying. Thanks.

reconvic
06-23-2006, 15:32
If you have any questions in your mind, then I feel the Marines are not for you.http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/reconvic/recon.jpg

g27_mengi
06-25-2006, 21:07
Four years as an active duty Marine was one of the best things I've ever done. Didn't say it was easy. I served as a miltary policeman (also known as a grunt with a badge) in the FMF, and was able to work with the local police, also. Incredibly valuable experience.

Only you can make the decision about where you're headed, but if you want to be a cop, ask a recruiter about the possibility of going into the 5811 field. He may promise you the world--recruiters are known for that. But see what kind of written contract you can get for the MP field.

Just my .02 cents.

bayerta
07-04-2006, 01:08
When I enlisted in the Marine Corps back in 1996 it was because I did not feel I was ready for college. I enlisted in the infantry and enjoyed every minute of it. I am now on my 3rd enlistment and still love my job. It's strange how things work out.