OT any INFO on Lasik surgery? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT any INFO on Lasik surgery?

EL_DIABLO888
06-14-2006, 10:23
Somebody Told me that we have a member here that can answer some of my question,kasi doctor siya ng mata.I'm 27yrs old,physically fit for the operation.My doctor told me that I should take out my Contact lenses for about three months kasi marami daw gasgas mata ko dahil sa contact lense..I been wearing contact lenses for 10yrs now..I would like to know how much would the procedure cost me per eye and what to expect before and after the operation.also hope you can share some Pro's and Con's about Lasik..better if you know someone done it on their eyes..your immediate reply is highly appreciated...thank you so much...

b.r

vega
06-14-2006, 15:21
Tagged, I want to know too.

Eye Cutter
06-14-2006, 17:04
Madami kaming mga ophthalmologoists dito sa forum. EC, kamelot, imd, the tactitian, doctabako.

Laser in situ kerato milieusis, they make a flap then ablate the cornea to reshape it for optimum vision. It is a cold type of laser and the procedure lasts about 15-20 min.

Min. age is 22 yrs old and before you get LASIK, you need to undergo a screening procedure if you are a suitable canditate. Don't wear contact lenses for 1-2 weeks before the screening.

Madami na rin machines dito sa Metro Manila. SLMC, American Eye, AEI, IRLS, Advanced Vision Center, Eye Referral Center. There are also centers in Cebu, Davao and Pampanga that offer the procedure. Package cost now is bet. 65-75k for both eyes.

I don't do LASIK bec. the machine is not available in our medical center but I can refer you to a colleague who does it at St. Luke's or American Eye Center in Shangrila Mall.

All the people I know who got it are very happy. Alexii underwent LASIK about 4 yrs ago and is also very satisfied.

I'll let the other EyeMD's chime in now...

jasonub
06-14-2006, 17:37
then your eyeballs start to fall off after 10 years :supergrin:

joke only:)

kamelot
06-14-2006, 18:11
Lasik gives you the biggest bang for the buck. You have to undergo a screening process, though. Last time I know it was about P1,500 (deductible to the total amount you have to pay)at SLMC. They have to determine whether you are a good candidate for the Lasik surgery or not.

Your vision for far and near is good to go till you are about 40 where your difficulty for reading up close would kick in. By then you'll be needing reading glasses.

I would recomend our colleague Dr. Jimmy Dinglasan. He does this everyday.

EC,

pm me your landline or contact number. i need to talk to you. or call me at our "home base".

sundancekid
06-14-2006, 22:16
my wife had lasik surgery about 7 or 8 years ago and it restored her vision back to 20/20. prior to that her eyesights are so bad that she could pass for being legally blind. i remember paying $1,000 for her surgery before at medical city in mandaluyong. her eyes were completly healed just after a day of her operations. hope this helps.

Allegra
06-15-2006, 05:34
Can you swim or stay out in sunlight after your eyes heal sa surgery?

antediluvianist
06-15-2006, 06:04
I am 60 years old and when I had surgery a long time ago - I was almost legally blind and my grade was getting worse; the ophthas suggested I get a "Radial Keratotomy" operation.

No laser used in those days - it was a "micro-scalpel" operation.

It did not go well - the doctor cut too deep and scarred my corneas. Until now I get severe headaches, letters on the printed page seem to dance around, bright electric lights hurt, daylight is impossibly painful - I cannot go out without dark sunglasses - and I cannot drive at night, in fact I have stopped driving entirely (there has been some loss of depth perception.)

When I had my eyes looked at by other doctors after the surgery, they said it was a terrible job but they wouldn't testify in court. A German doctor said that if that had been done in Europe I could have retired already on the malpractice settlement I would have received. I know of one person who was completely blinded by that doctor who operated on me. For me, I just have permanently blurred vision.

BUT ... as far as I know, Lasik surgery works. No micro-scalpels are used. And the depth of the cornea is measured before the surgery (as it has been explained to me - the docs now tell me the surgeon should never have operated on me without knowing the depth of my cornea.)

I'd say go ahead.

vega
06-16-2006, 17:47
Guys, what about this? Is this being practiced in PH now? One thing I like about it is it's reversible.

Orthokeratology, or Ortho-K, is a procedure that uses RGP contact lenses to change the curvature of the cornea to improve its ability to refract light and successfully focus on objects. Unlike regular RGPs, Ortho-K RGPs have a design that can reshape the curvature of the cornea. This method, however, does not produce a permanent result.

With conventional Ortho-K, the lenses are worn about eight hours a day. After the cornea has achieved the best shape for optimal vision, the lenses are worn less frequently--perhaps for a few hours every two or three days. If someone starts and then discontinues Ortho-K, says Saviola, the corneas will eventually return to their natural state. People choose Ortho-K over refractive surgery because Ortho-K's effects are not permanent.

One disadvantage of Ortho-K is that clear vision may fluctuate during the day. Also, Ortho-K may take many months to change a person's vision. A more advanced technique known as "accelerated Ortho-K" takes less time, and may be recommended to achieve a rapid effect.

Since 1998, Saviola says the FDA has cleared a number of daily wear Ortho-K lenses, but overnight Ortho-K lenses have not been approved.

The best candidates for prescription Ortho-K are people of any age who have low amounts of nearsightedness or astigmatism. The goal is to bring the person's vision to at least 20/40. But for some, Ortho-K will provide 20/20 vision.

EL_DIABLO888
06-20-2006, 03:16
Thank you for your replies...

@Kamelot

Sir I already pm you kindly check

b.r

kamelot
06-20-2006, 05:35
El_Diablo,

I answered your pm to me dated 16 June 06. did you receive it?
Anyway I am resending info as per your queries.:)

sundancekid
06-21-2006, 19:49
Originally posted by antediluvianist
I am 60 years old and when I had surgery a long time ago - I was almost legally blind and my grade was getting worse; the ophthas suggested I get a "Radial Keratotomy" operation.

No laser used in those days - it was a "micro-scalpel" operation.

It did not go well - the doctor cut too deep and scarred my corneas. Until now I get severe headaches, letters on the printed page seem to dance around, bright electric lights hurt, daylight is impossibly painful - I cannot go out without dark sunglasses - and I cannot drive at night, in fact I have stopped driving entirely (there has been some loss of depth perception.)

When I had my eyes looked at by other doctors after the surgery, they said it was a terrible job but they wouldn't testify in court. A German doctor said that if that had been done in Europe I could have retired already on the malpractice settlement I would have received. I know of one person who was completely blinded by that doctor who operated on me. For me, I just have permanently blurred vision.

I'm sorry to hear this sir...

astig007
06-22-2006, 20:59
kamelot,

can I also have those details PM'd to me? i'm hoping to have my wife undergo this procedure also... para lalong maaliwalas ang tingin sa akin :alien:

EL_DIABLO888
06-23-2006, 04:31
Originally posted by EL_DIABLO888
Thank you for your replies...

@Kamelot

Sir I already pm you kindly check

b.r

Got it sir...thank you

b.r

kamelot
06-23-2006, 22:38
Astig,

EC summed it up well. Going price is about P60T up for both eyes; she has to stop wearing contact lenses for a while; and most importantly your wife has to undergo a screening exam if she's a good candidate for LASIK.

El_Diablo just asked me about my contact numbers and not about the Lasik. :)

Alexii
06-24-2006, 23:44
LASIK is probably one of the best investments I ever made. Five years later and my vision is still 20/20.

Yes, I was told I might need reading glasses someday. But if I will have to just wear them when reading the menu or a book, it's something I can live with. Gone are the days when I have to wipe my eyeglasses because of the frost brought about by alighting from the car on a rainy day.