help p.I questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help p.I questions

noway
06-15-2006, 14:34
I'm finallizing my post-summer trip to the Philippines and had a few questions that my local sponser couldn't answer for me.

1> Can a foreigner own a gun in P.I ? Would the local policia give you a problem ? Would a longbow be okay ?

2> if the foreigner is married to a flippina, can he own a weapon?

3> is their a such thing as gun license or restriction on guns and amounts of guns and ammo?

4> where can I buy a Philippino straw hat in the states or online that's of top quality? Any good hat shops in Manilla ?

5> For ex-military/retired and americans in general , where/how can you get medical treatment in P.I? My friend wife is from Palayan City and she just now is finishing up her medical studys and told me her ex boss ws trying to get a clinic open in Manilla that will treat mainly americans and offer support for blue cross receipients.

6> ( this question is for natives that are naturalized US citizens ) do you have to give up your P.I passport and can you hold dual citizenship?

Anybody know anything about this or similiar issues?

btw: I plan to retire to the P.I in 14 years if I get lucky ;)

Salomat Po

paltik45
06-15-2006, 16:48
Hi there, I think I can answer some of your questions but I am sure our fellow BOG's will chime in.

1. If you are a foreigner you can not own a firearms in Pinas. Long bow is considered a deadly weapon. Yes the Local pulis can give you a hard time if they found you have a firearm.:freak:

2. Legaly "NO" but the Filipina can if she still holds her Filipino citezenship.

3. YES;)

4. You can check "SM shoemart" at their filipiniana department. OR you if you have somebody familiar in Quiapo they have a lot of Native stores there.

5. You can check the US embassy in manila they have a list of hospitals that can accomodate you all over the Philippines.

6. I think you need to give up your Pinoy citezenship once you take an oath to the American Flag. But you can apply afterwards for a dual citezenship at the Phil. embassy here in the USA.

I hope I was able to answer some of your question Sir.

noway
06-15-2006, 18:57
thanks.

I wasn't sure about #1 since I gotten dual mix response on it and I'm shock that even a bow is a no-no .

I guess a spear would be out of the question also? Surely a Bolo/Machete would be okay ( i hope ) ;)

{4. You can check "SM shoemart" at their filipiniana department. OR you if you have somebody familiar in Quiapo they have a lot of Native stores there.
}

Not sure what/where quiapo district is at but If I can get their I would surely take alook. I would most likely be in my old familiar grounds of Makati city. do planon spending alot of time in Manila tho and that's going to suck but either way I will enjoy my time in the P.I no matter where ever I end up at ;)

Allegra
06-15-2006, 21:23
therer use to be Japanes and a French member at our gunclub
All their guns are registered to their Filipna wives names

I see lots of hats in Lucban , Quezon , that would be around 3 hours south of Manila. Be sure to visit Palaisdaan Restaurant there

I think you can own a long bow as long as you dont walk around the streets of Manila carrying one hehe for home protection that would be okay.

Stay in Makati :) or stay in the provinces :) stay out of manila hehe

mikey177
06-16-2006, 01:54
Originally posted by noway
Surely a Bolo/Machete would be okay

Yes, of course these common, everyday farming and gardening implements are okay to have around the house. They are even useful for dealing with snakes and other four-legged and two-legged vermin.

vega
06-16-2006, 08:09
Originally posted by mikey177
Yes, of course these common, everyday farming and gardening implements are okay to have around the house. They are even useful for dealing with snakes and other four-legged and two-legged vermin.
Not advisable in dealing with snakes since it could still inject you with venom after you cut-off its head. Patpat (piece of wood) is better.

noway
06-16-2006, 08:13
I was joking on the Bolo ;)

Great advice and looking forward with going back to the P.I for my 2 week stay.

Also , anybody have any good internet cafes and or is wifi-internet access available? I'm thinking about going with no laptop but if I can get wifi at a cafe that would be great and I don't mind paying either.

sundancekid
06-16-2006, 08:15

Also , anybody have any good internet cafes and or is wifi-internet access available? I'm thinking about going with no laptop but if I can get wifi at a cafe that would be great and I don't mind paying either.

you should have no problem with internet cafes. they're all over manila and other provinces now.

Allegra
06-16-2006, 08:19
Cats keep snakes away, kahit venomous

noway
06-16-2006, 12:44
{you should have no problem with internet cafes. they're all over manila and other provinces now.}

how about around negros occidental? and do you have any guess on price per hours? or are they free?

I remember back about 7 years ago I was emailing a pinay that told me the cost was like 7dollars per hour for access iirc. Not sure it gotten any cheaper.

9MX
06-16-2006, 13:11
1> Can a foreigner own a gun in P.I ? Would the local policia give you a problem ? - no Would a longbow be okay ? - this one i'm not sure

2> if the foreigner is married to a flippina, can he own a weapon? - the filipina can, and this is the common practice

3> is their a such thing as gun license or restriction on guns and amounts of guns and ammo? - for pistols/ small caliber rifle, shotguns - none. hi-powered rifles are politically restricted at the moment, but our laws actually allow it

4> where can I buy a Philippino straw hat in the states or online that's of top quality? Any good hat shops in Manilla ? - buy it here, its cheaper. some stores carry it in our malls, cheapest ones are found in Divisoria.

5> For ex-military/retired and americans in general , where/how can you get medical treatment in P.I? My friend wife is from Palayan City and she just now is finishing up her medical studys and told me her ex boss ws trying to get a clinic open in Manilla that will treat mainly americans and offer support for blue cross receipients. - for what ailment? maybe the some of the doctors in the group can answer.

PMMA97
06-16-2006, 14:19

how about around negros occidental? and do you have any guess on price per hours? or are they free?

I remember back about 7 years ago I was emailing a pinay that told me the cost was like 7dollars per hour for access iirc. Not sure it gotten any cheaper.

If you're staying in a hotel it might be free but be wary of where you go, like in any other place in the world keep your common sense in tact. Internet cafes with DSL or WiFi go for 15-50 pesos (.25- $1) per hour depending on the place. And when staying here in the Philippines, internet access will be the last thing in your mind because you have tons of fun stuff to worry about. :)

vega
06-16-2006, 17:28
Originally posted by 9MX
4> where can I buy a Philippino straw hat in the states or online that's of top quality? Any good hat shops in Manilla ? - buy it here, its cheaper. some stores carry it in our malls, cheapest ones are found in Divisoria.
No offense but for a few Peso less I wouldn't recommed Divisoria. Go to SM Filipiniana store as suggested by paltik45.

royal glockster
06-16-2006, 21:06
If you want to burn ammo, go to the ARmscor Firing Range at Parang, Marikina. I saw some americans there firing their boomers. I even saw one joining the local IPSC match. Ironically, he's using a stock philippine made .40 and not an "american made" pistol. :cool:

vega
06-16-2006, 22:38
Originally posted by royal glockster
If you want to burn ammo, go to the ARmscor Firing Range at Parang, Marikina. I saw some americans there firing their boomers. I even saw one joining the local IPSC match. Ironically, he's using a stock philippine made .40 and not an "american made" pistol. :cool:
That might be kenC, I don't see anything wrong with Phil made 40 used by a caucasian.

noway
06-17-2006, 17:53
{If you want to burn ammo, go to the ARmscor Firing Range at Parang, Marikina.}

So at least they have gun ranges where we americanos can shot at? Any list of ranges in-around the manila area ? or anywhere else as far as that goes ?

Any body can give me a extimate on range fees, cost of ammo, and gun rental charges?

I doubt I would travel 8k+ miles back to the P.I just to shoot a gun but who knows. I'm looking forward for a cold San Miguel at the nearest bar in the airport ;)

MR_BIG
06-18-2006, 09:26
for a foreigner its $55+ (3000 pesos) at armscor makati city, this includes the pistol, hundred rounds and personal instructor. if you want cheaper just bring someone along who's a member of that club, cost you around 800 pesos for a hundred rounds. i had an american house guest last january, i brought him there to shoot.

isuzu
06-18-2006, 10:22
{you should have no problem with internet cafes. they're all over manila and other provinces now.}

Hi Noway! I was in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental last month. Internet stations are in abundance there. The ones that I frequent are at Robinsons Department store near Bob's Cafe, and another at Sorrento at the corner of Lacson and 13th St. This internet cafe is just walking distance from L'Fisher Hotel. Rates are about $0.90/hour. Wireless internet is free with coffee purchase at Cafe Bob's which is about 15 minutes' walk north of L'Fisher Hotel. Just bring your laptop with the appropriate hardware to connect to their wireless internet.

There are two gun clubs in Bacolod City. One is the Central Negros Shooters Association and the other is The Gun Club of Negros Occidental. Look for Pablo Nava at the CNSA and Janette Gonzaga, Bongbong Poblador, or Chepit Dulay at the GCNO.

If you want to relax, there's Punta Bulata in Cauayan www.puntabulata.com and Takatuka Resort in Sipalay, www.takatuka.com.
If you stay at Punta Bulata, give the vice mayor of Silay a call. He is a good friend of mine. Jay Jalandoni, could take you to Danjugan Island Marine Sanctuary and go diving, snorkeling or kayak on one of the lagoons. He is one of the officers of the marine sanctuary, and you'll like it there.

While in the Philippines, be sure to register with the American Citizen Services. I'll PM you the contact number.

noway
06-18-2006, 14:39
thanks for the information ;)