Battlefield 2 for the PC question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2 for the PC question

Jaegergirl
06-16-2006, 07:43
I've looked online for the information I'm trying to find but have been unsuccessful so I thought I'd post a question here.

My 12 1/2 year old son wants this game for his PC. I'm pretty careful of the games I let him play. The only "teen" rated games he has been allowed to play are the Star Wars games and "mature" games are not even up for discussion. I am trying to find out why this game has the teen rating. Obviously, it's a war game so there will be some violence (which I am ok with), but I'm curious how "graphic" it is and would also like to know what the language is like (if there's swearing and if so, how much).

I know, some of your are probably thinking I'm a geek but that's ok, I don't mind. :) I just don't want my son playing games where "f" bombs are dropped and where there's intense blood and guts. I've seen some screen grabs and it doesn't seem to be too bad but I'd appreciate some feedback if possible. I suppose if the game was too intense/graphic, it would have a "mature" rating, right?

Thanks!

Jaegergirl
06-16-2006, 10:11
You can just disregard this post. He bought a set of the Battlefield games (BF2 wasn't included.)

MrMurphy
06-17-2006, 00:41
No cussing unless it's from other players (sometimes).

Graphically? Not much, bodies flying through the air from bomb hits etc but no real blood. Less than you'd see on Black Hawk Down.

Tiloke
06-17-2006, 03:13
No blood, Pretty unrealistic crappy ragdoll effects compared to others, explosives wont blow enemmies to peices. And I love playing it very addicting.

Jaegergirl
06-17-2006, 05:58
Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.

He ended up buying the Battlefield 1942 Complete Collection because he didn't have the $$ for Battlefield 2 (he only paid $20 for the set at WallyWorld). He is having a blast with it so he's not too disappointed he couldn't get Battlefield 2. I will keep it mind though for his birthday in a couple of months.

:)

Tvov
06-17-2006, 07:40
As Tiloke said, no bodies blown apart, etc. Also one of the few games out there (it seems!) that you DON'T end up fighting undead zombies.

The single player is fun, but mostly is practice for multiplayer. There is no plot or storyline. Online multiplayer is where you realize how good the game really is.

If I am not mistaken, the complete collection is Battlefield 1942, Road to Rome, and Secret Weapons. Secret Weapons is surprisingly accurate historically (keeping in mind it is a game). Most of the equipment/weapons in that game were actually used in WWII. Some weren't manufactured until after the war, and lastly some were just on the "drawing boards" (and never really made it off). But all the weapons do have a historical background.

A REALLY good and FREE download "mod" for BF42 is Desert Combat.

For playing online multiplayer without bad language, there are many game servers that have language filters that automatically kick players if they type in bad language. These are mostly run by clans. I am in MOW clan (mowclan.net). You might be surprised how many "older" people are playing these games.

JBlitzen
06-26-2006, 15:54
The Pirates BF1942 mod is also great fun, when you can find a server with more than 3 people on it. BF1942 is all around generally looser and more arcade like than BF2, which gives it a lot of lasting appeal.

Have him grab this:

http://www.fileplanet.com/135743/130000/fileinfo/PlanetBattlefield-QuickMatch

It's a non-virus program designed to easily sort, filter, find, and join game servers for any installed BF1942 game, expansion, or mod.

Jaegergirl
06-27-2006, 08:30
Thanks for info! I'll be sure to pass it along. I know my son would love to play it online. He said he wants to get good at it first though.

I am in MOW clan (mowclan.net). You might be surprised how many "older" people are playing these games.

I guess so. I just found out that my 64 year old father-in-law likes to play computer games. So they're definatly not just for kids. :)

Glacked79
06-28-2006, 11:02
For future reference:

There is mild language in BF2 online. I hear, "Damnit, sorry," in my headset every day.

If he starts playing it online, make sure he's with a good clan/unit. There are some great ones out there that will boot you for cursing, etc. They tend to be pretty well organized and cater to the younger gaming times with matches, etc.

If he's just in as a public player, you will not be able to keep him from hearing really bad german techno, cursing in many languages, and the odd string of profanity coming from some 12yr old who's parents aren't home. There is a VOIP function out of the box, so he will have online communications with strangers.

Make no mistake, this is a war game. When people get shot they scream, call for medics, etc.

I would suggest SWAT4 for your kid - if you let him play 1st person shooters. Decent single player missions and a fairly mature online community. It also rewards you for getting through a mission without killing someone.

You may want to pick up Dave Grossman's book, "Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill." I'm an avid gamer. I'm in a gaming unit for AA, BF2, BF2 PRMM, and SWAT4. I've been gaming with some of the same people since '98. I'm 34yrs old, too. Our unit does not allow anyone younger than 16 to become a member. In fact, we're talking now about raising that age to at least 18. None of us like to think we're exposing children to something negative even when it's just a fun video game to us.

http://www.killology.com/books.htm

When my wife's younger brother and sisiter lived with us for a year, I would not allow him to play FPS style games - 14yrs old and he'd had some issues with violence at his old school. I got him an xbox and played the heck out of some Madden, however. I don't think he gave it a second's notice that he couldn't play the games I played on PC. He was just happy to have something to do once he finished his homework.

Good luck with it.

Bikewer
07-16-2006, 17:05
There are a variety of mods for BF1942, and most of the better ones are in the process of being re-done for Battlefield 2.
My favorite is Forgotten Hope, which is a "realism" mod. Most of the arcade effects are absent or reduced.

Occasionally, you'll get a flame war in the chat box, but most decent servers will kick players for foul language.

Tvov
07-16-2006, 21:38
Originally posted by Bikewer
There are a variety of mods for BF1942, and most of the better ones are in the process of being re-done for Battlefield 2.

What looks like a good mod for BF2 is "Allied Intent". The big problem with the mods for BF2 is the stat/ranking system setup by EA games. You can only rise in rank (and get the unlock weapons) by playing on "ranked" servers, which can only played EA authorized versions. Because of this, the mods for BF2 are not played very much, and there are few servers that host them. Most everyone wants to increase their "stats", and so only play on ranked servers.

Bikewer
07-16-2006, 21:51
The Devs for Forgotten Hope promise no such nonsense...:supergrin:

Jaegergirl
08-10-2006, 13:56
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I've been so late in responding.

Glacked79 said.....

....I would suggest SWAT4 for your kid - if you let him play 1st person shooters. Decent single player missions and a fairly mature online community. It also rewards you for getting through a mission without killing someone.

Swat4 is a mature rated game, at least from what I've seen. I'm surprised you'd recommend that one, especially when you mention that book about games and violence. Is there a version somewhere that's not rated M?

I don't think my son has any interest to play the games online, at least not right now. Heck, he hasn't touched the game in a month but then again, it is summer break so sitting inside playing the computer hasn't been a priority. And I'm not so sure I'm ready for him to be playing online at this age anyway.

:)

Glacked79
08-16-2006, 12:50
I would suggest SWAT4 for your kid - if you let him play 1st person shooters

I don't think I've ever looked at a rating system - ever. I know that the community within Bf2 seems to be younger kids who love to swear when they win or lose. America's Army is a bit more policed community - I know we enforce no foul language policies on our server. SWAT4 had the most mature community I've seen. Great bunch of people playing it and most admins boot the offender at the first curse word. I'm sure there are people with different experiences with all the games, but those are mine.

Why SWAT4? IF you let him play FPS, then pick one that rewards him for less-lethal options - not just killing.

Jaegergirl
08-16-2006, 13:49
Originally posted by Glacked79
I don't think I've ever looked at a rating system - ever. I know that the community within Bf2 seems to be younger kids who love to swear when they win or lose. America's Army is a bit more policed community - I know we enforce no foul language policies on our server. SWAT4 had the most mature community I've seen. Great bunch of people playing it and most admins boot the offender at the first curse word. I'm sure there are people with different experiences with all the games, but those are mine.

Why SWAT4? IF you let him play FPS, then pick one that rewards him for less-lethal options - not just killing.

Ok, thanks. I appreciate the input because I know nothing about this stuff. :)