Tell me your favorite place to be stationed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your favorite place to be stationed

TexasGlock23
06-16-2006, 22:22
Whether you dream of it, or personally been. Post up what you can on where you have been also.

globemaster2112
06-16-2006, 22:25
Ramstein AB, Germany. Good food, Good beer, Beautiful places to see and really nice locals. Tons of stuff to do. :beer: ;)

Delta
06-16-2006, 22:35
Baumholder, Germany
1/77th FA

Ider Oberstien, Germany.

TexasGlock23
06-16-2006, 22:47
Seems Germany is popular!

DJ Niner
06-17-2006, 00:20
Eielson AFB, near Fairbanks, Alaska was my favorite assignment. Fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, goldpanning, sightseeing, photographic pursuits, mountain climbing, etc. If you can't find something interesting to do there, you're not trying very hard.

As far as your personal choice, I say a person should try to go someplace different than what they're used to. If you're from the south, request northern tier bases; if you're a Yankee, get down south and meet some of those southern belles (or gentlemen). If you're from a small town, request an assignment near a big city; if you've always lived in a large metro area, put in for Minot. :supergrin:

MrMurphy
06-17-2006, 00:25
If you're a hunter/fisher/outdoorsy person Malmstrom (Montana) is good. Sent some guys there, had some guys come from there. As Security Forces, you're primarily LE or a missile cop (5 days out in the missile fields 5 at home rotation). Pretty cake post.

Germany always gets high marks, England is so-so. Italy is great if you're not a cop, though as a cop it's tolerable because of all the travel opportunities (I'm 1 hr from Venice, 3 from Florence, Verona, 8 from Rome, Pompeii, and most of southern Italy, and 2-4 hours from most of Austria and Germany).

hmb
06-21-2006, 09:18
1) RAF Chicksands (now given back to the Brits)

2) Ankara, Turkey

hokieglock
06-22-2006, 11:56
howard afb, rep. of panama. gone now but in the early 90's it was the phillipines of the western hemisphere. thank god i was single.

curiousg
06-22-2006, 14:57
Originally posted by hmb
1) RAF Chicksands (now given back to the Brits)

2) Ankara, Turkey

Another vote for RAF Chicksands

Josh Aston
07-05-2006, 23:04
Anywhere in the Carribean followed by Bellows AFS is where I'd prefer to be. Stay far, far away from Laughlin AFB, and yes that's spelled right, it's not Lackland. I've been to Kunsan and Laughlin, heading to Eielson next month. If I remember correctly Kunsan was a blast. The exorbitant amounts of alcohol may have impaired my memory though. Laughlin was ok when I got here, but over the last 5 yrs I've seen it get pretty bad. New leadership is inbound though, maybe things will get better. I won't be here for it though.

TexasGlock23
07-05-2006, 23:12
If you dont mind elaborate on what states those are in

JimBianchi
07-05-2006, 23:26
Araxos AB, Greece! (closed now I think)

I loved it so much I stayed an extra year, and then married a greek!

Jim

MrMurphy
07-06-2006, 00:27
Just remember, Korea is an unaccompanied tour (no wife) for a year.

And for Security Forces, Korea kind of sucks... most of our second-basers come from there and they don't wanna go back (not because of the Koreans, because of the way the SF situation is there).

Josh Aston
07-06-2006, 06:29
Bellows is in Hawaii, it's a detachment of Hickam. The only people that actually get stationed there are cops and services. And that will probably change soon if it hasn't already. Last I heard they were talking about making it civilian. Laughlin is in TX on the border of Mexico. I loved Korea, but that was pre 9/11 for me. No idea what it's like now. I know Korea is unacompanied I did the Ironman tour, twelve months with no leave. Nowadays that's nothing seeing as they're talking about making our deployments 12 months. But back then deployments were only 3 months. I've never heard anything good about Osan though. Everyone I know that has been there hated it. I'd say 80-90% of the people I've met that were at Kunsan loved it. Laughlin isn't that bad of a place, I've just seen it go from good leadership to not so great leadership, to how the hell did this guy make it that far.

jackb
07-07-2006, 00:31
...heading to Eielson next month.
What career field are you/squardon heading to?
It's awesome here. And we really do have all 4 seasons up here. Winter, June, July and August. LOL.

I've never heard anything good about Osan though. Everyone I know that has been there hated it. I'd say 80-90% of the people I've met that were at Kunsan loved it.
Exact opposite for me. Osan was my second base, and I had a blast there. 99% of the other Crew Chiefs there loved it too. The only complaint I ever heard was from the married guys (guess what they *****ed about). I've been to Kunsan too. ******* THAT PLACE.

TexasGlock23
07-07-2006, 06:28
SF

Josh Aston
07-07-2006, 21:53
What career field are you/squardon heading to?

SF

tnoisaw
07-29-2006, 14:23
Elmendorf AFB- Anchorage, AK
1979-1983
6981st SPís
21st SPís
EST

I did a lot of backpacking etc. Took train to Denali. Good duty station.

douglasd
08-12-2006, 00:19
I spent 4 years at Hickam, protecting the Hawaiian Islands from another sneak attack from 1973 to late 1977. I truly believe it spoiled me for any other job. I probably worked an average of 4 days/week for most of the 4 years.

I know...it was brave of me, but it was a job that had to be done.

I was with the 1957th Communications Group, AFSC 307XX.

tnoisaw
08-12-2006, 09:36
My ex was stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI. It was okay but I enjoyed Alaska more.

Lennyjoe
08-17-2006, 12:47
Best assignment for me was Det 2 Leipheim AB, Germany. Had 54 USAF assigned personnel. We supported A-10's out of Bentwaters and Alconberry.

Second best was Myrtle Beach. Was there from 85-90 and loved it.

Best unit was the 70th FS at Moody AFB from 95-00. Top notch crew and supervision was outstanding.

MrMurphy
08-17-2006, 13:37
Got a friend from tech school at Alconbury, he loves it (SF).