Senate Kills Biofuels Act [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Senate Kills Biofuels Act

isuzu
06-17-2006, 20:57
Read the www.visayandailystar online news yesterday, and I was disappointed that the senate "killed" the Biofuels Act (with a strong lobby from Chevron-Texaco Philippines). When I went to the Philippines last month on an emergency, the rumor that was going around was that a powerful lobby group against the Biofuels Act was claiming that you need energy in order to produce biofuel such as ethanol or biodiesel. Duh! If this claim is true, this is the lamest excuse. You need energy to produce petroleum products, too!

My friends and I were discussing the benefits of biofuels. Take the case of ethanol from sugarcane. If you want more ethanol, simply increase the land area of sugarcane to be planted. Bagasse from sugarcane would be used as fuel to process sugarcane juice into ethanol. Same with coconut.

As a result, I'll be sending an email to my brother and our office in the Philippines instructing them to completely STOP using Chevron-Texaco products in our farms.

http://www.visayandailystar.com/2006/June/16/topstory5.htm

Allegra
06-17-2006, 21:55
http://www.philstar.com/philstar/News200606180401.htm

Normally , I dont like complaining about the idiots in our govt but this time...

Di maganda pakinggan , mukang nabili a

antediluvianist
06-17-2006, 23:52
yes, this is bad for those with investments in businesses related to bio-fuel, such as sugar centrals.

blueeagle
06-18-2006, 00:36
bagasse is also used as feeds for cattle. they don't want us to be self-sufficient kasi mawawalan sila ng customer!:frown:

isuzu
06-18-2006, 00:53
Originally posted by antediluvianist
yes, this is bad for those with investments in businesses related to bio-fuel, such as sugar centrals.

Prices of sugar is quite stable nowadays that GMA, Sugar Regulatory Administration administrator James Ledesma, and high world market prices ( a high of $0.19/lb) have prevented, if not eliminated sugar smuggling. A price of P1,300.00 per bag is quite fair, considering the high price of fuel, fertilizers and labor. The high price of sugar and molasses also allowed sugar farmers, both big and small, to upgrade their equipment.

During FVR's and Erap's time, sugar smuggling was rampant in the Philippines. Low world market prices of sugar(which went to as low as $0.05 per lb), coupled with self-serving interests of those in power, affected the sugar producing regions in the Philippines. Imagine, those smugglers would buy sugar at P400.00 per 50 kilo bag (LKG), and sell them at P650.00/bag. Our cost of production was hovering around P680.00/bag.

Now that Brazil would like to be fully independent from foreign oil by the end of the year; Thailand's committment to their ethanol program, as well as the salt intrusion damage suffered by sugar plantations in Louisiana, affected the supply of the world market for sugar. Consumption of sugar has also increased.

If the senate would only support the Biofuel Act, this would encourage more people to plant more sugarcane, provide more jobs, stabilize the fuel prices, and help the economy because we don't have to spend a lot of our dollar reserves buying oil.

antediluvianist
06-18-2006, 01:49
Every little bit helps , to boost the price of the stock (on the Philippine stockmarket) with the symbol "ROX" (Roxas). Go sugar!

atmarcella
06-18-2006, 06:37
tagged;)

Skyhook
06-18-2006, 06:58
Fermentation of sugars from cellulose which very abundant and emminently renewable will be, perhaps, the best solution for ethanol fuels in future.
This cellulose-based fuel can be made from grass- something called 'switchgrass', wood chips, corncobs, and similar materials.

Stumbling blocks at present involves procurement of effecient enzymes such as those common in termite guts, and, of course, the infrastructure.

I do think this will evolve- however slowly - in spite of resistance from the fossil fuel giants.

jasonub
06-18-2006, 17:20
dapat buwagin na senado!

isuzu
06-29-2006, 06:40
Just saw the news that even oil-rich Alberta (Canada) will construct a BIODIESEL refinery near Edmonton. Canola oil will likely be the main ingredient of the biodiesel.