Need info on 1968 Mustang [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need info on 1968 Mustang

ricky
06-18-2006, 09:57
I am looking at a 1968 Mustang convertible with the 289 engine in it and it has minor rust with a never wrecked straight body.

The floorboards are good and so is the trunk, engine is clean as well as the interior.

I wanted to know what a good ball park figure is on the price as he is asking $17,000 for it.

What is the difference between a gt and a regular convertible??

psddoc
06-18-2006, 13:09
Look for, of course, the badges, and dual exhaust with factory cutouts in the rear valance. Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes were also part of that package IIRC.

In 1968 the 289 took a back seat to the 302. The 289 was only available with a 2 barrel carb. I know that early (65/66) Mustangs could be ordered with the GT package only if the most powerful engine at the time, the 289 4 barrel, was selected. I think that practice stopped in 1967 but I can't be sure.

17,000 sounds a little high, though prices have come up recently. I own a 68 hardtop that I bought for 4 grand, a no rust, great condition car, but that was almost 5 years ago now. My dad had a 68 convertible with a 289/2 barrel. It was a great car, I loved it and wish we hadn't sold it, but IIRC we sold it for around 12,000, and it was in good shape as well. We also owned a 67 big block fastback but that was a different animal.

The best source for reference would be stangnet.com. My last piece of advice would be to check behind the convertible top and also the cowls for rust.