slide sticks when hammer is half-cocked [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : slide sticks when hammer is half-cocked

Young Once
06-18-2006, 21:17
Guys, I just noticed yesterday that the slide of my 1911 "sticks" when the hammer is in half-cocked position. There is a very distinct and significant snag, and then sometimes a click (although not audible all the time) when I try to pull the slide back from that position. What gives? Di kaya baka may sira na? Would really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

isuzu
06-18-2006, 21:38
Originally posted by Young Once
Guys, I just noticed yesterday that the slide of my 1911 "sticks" when the hammer is in half-cocked position. There is a very distinct and significant snag, and then sometimes a click (although not audible all the time) when I try to pull the slide back from that position. What gives? Di kaya baka may sira na? Would really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

There's definitely something binding or broken inside the firing mechanism. Now way of telling unless you have a gunsmith disassemble your firearm. Replace the broken parts (if any) with good quality parts. These parts are critical to the proper functioning of the firearm.

Young Once
06-18-2006, 21:42
Isuzu, thanks for the advice. I'll have a gun smith look at it but I would surely appreciate inputs so that I can adequately explain the problem to the gunsmith and not look like I don't know whats going on. :-)

isuzu
06-18-2006, 22:57
Could be the sear, sear spring, or a broken mainspring which is very rare. Another could be a corroded mainspring or loose pins "walking." Nevertheless, have a reputable gunsmith check your firearm out. You may want to bring a bottle or can of Break Free to lube your mainspring and sear.

If you have loose pins "walking" and the holes on the frame are already off specs, have the gunsmith make new oversized pins. My gunsmith made pins from high quality bicycle spokes.

Young Once
06-19-2006, 00:30
Ok. Will do that ASAP. Thanks once again, Isuzu.

mc_oliver
06-19-2006, 09:31
Hammer at half cock...slide "sticks". "Sticks" to where? What's the position of the slide?

Young Once
06-19-2006, 19:54
mc_oliver, the slide seems to "stick" to the frame. When it is in battery position and the hammer is half cocked, the slide "sticks" to the frame and there is a considerable effort that must be exerted before it can be pulled to the rear to chamber a round. There is also a distinct click once I have succeeded in pulling the slide to the rear. Whats funny is that the efort to pull the slide to the rear is considerably less when the hammer is not cocked (hammer - up) than when it is half-cocked. Kinda weird.

mc_oliver
06-20-2006, 11:42
Ah, ok. Try to have your sear-disconnector engagement areas or the sear spring middle finger checked. Something could be off a bit.

Here's a test: remove the slide. Put the hamer on half-cock. Try pressing down on the disconnector. If you need a any considerable effort to do so, have it checked. HTH.

Young Once
06-20-2006, 18:51
mc_oliver, thanks. did the test already, and it is quite hard to press down on the disconnector. will bring it to gunsmith this afternoon and point this out. Thanks a lot!

mc_oliver
06-21-2006, 11:09
No prob. :)

That should be an easy fix. I'm willing to bet it's the sear spring not clearing the tip of the disconnector.

Young Once
06-21-2006, 19:22
Mc_oliver, I'll let you know as soon as I get it back. I also had some other things done to it. Thanks.

jimbullet
07-02-2006, 10:03
Definitely the disconnector if your 1911 is a series 70 type where there is no firing pin lock. If there is afiring pin lock, the next thing to look at is that little steel pole that disconnects and actuates the firing pin. Maybe its hanging something in the canal.