AirAssault
06-19-2006, 10:26
Sheehan Supports U.S. Deserters in Canada
Jun 18 8:11 AM US/Eastern
Email this story

By CAROLYN THOMPSON
Associated Press Writer

FORT ERIE, Ontario

A group of American military deserters publicly embraced their new lives in Canada on Saturday with the support of "peace mom" Cindy Sheehan, who said she wished the son she lost in Iraq was among them.

"I begged him not to go to Iraq," the anti-war activist said through tears at a rally in support of the former soldiers, who wore black T- shirts emblazoned with "AWOL." "And I wish he was standing up here with these people because he didn't want to go."

Sheehan was making her second visit to Canada in support of sanctuary for those fleeing the U.S. military. The Canadian government has so far denied political asylum to U.S. soldiers who have sought it but appeals are pending.

"They're trying to deport me," said Darrell Anderson of Lexington, Ky., who arrived in Canada by way of Niagara Falls in January 2005. He spent seven months in Iraq with the Army's 1st Armored Division and received a purple heart following a roadside bomb attack before deciding during a leave he would not go back.

"When I was in Iraq, we were killing innocent people for oil. It was obvious they didn't want us there," said Anderson, 24, who is petitioning to remain in Canada.

The gathering at a park in the town of Fort Erie, across the border from Buffalo, N.Y., was organized by peace groups on both sides of the border.

About 20 former U.S. soldiers, referred to as war resisters, have applied for refugee status in Canada. Organizers estimated there may be as many as 200 soldiers in the country who have not yet sought formal protection.

"They say we're traitors, we're deserters," said former Marine Chris Magaoay, 20, of the Hawaiian island of Maui. "No, I'm a Marine and I stand up for what I believe in, and I believe the Constitution of the United States of America is being pushed aside as a scrap piece of paper."

The soldiers thanked Canadians for their hospitality and were cheered by about 100 in an audience that included Iraq veterans opposed to the war and Vietnam-era resisters who sought refuge in Canada decades earlier.

"I know that their choice has been difficult but I know that they made the right choice," said Bruce Beyer, who spent five years in Canada as a draft resister during Vietnam.

"I know that they miss their family and their friends that they're cut off from," Beyer said. "But I know that you Canadians have stepped up and stood behind them and I thank you from the bottom of my heart."

Sheehan, who energized the anti-war movement last summer with her monthlong protest outside President Bush's Texas ranch, said she has spent time with many of the resisters.

"They're moral human beings who don't want to go to Iraq and kill innocent people to line the pockets of George Bush and the war machine," she said.

:steamed: :steamed: :steamed: :steamed: :steamed: :steamed:

Minuteman
06-20-2006, 03:36
They are all going to be real surprised when they get picked up and handed to American MP's at the border.

Canada will not be a shelter for deserters/dodgers this time.

:patriot:

WIG19
06-21-2006, 09:22
Originally posted by AirAssault
"They say we're traitors, we're deserters," said former Marine Chris Magaoay, 20, of the Hawaiian island of Maui. "No, I'm a Marine ...Well, not really; but you could be about to become an ex-Marine as soon as they get you into custody. ex-Marine being different from someone who simply left active duty after however long (1 tour, or a whole career) with an honorable discharge and is still a Marine.

I often wonder if people like Sheehan have jobs; I mean, don't they have to go to work? Is the reason that Republicans typically vote late on Election Day because they've been working all day?

RomanCatholic
06-21-2006, 09:28
Some people are not cut out for military service. An all volunteer force of people who want to be there is far more effective than a force of people who don't want to be there and do not believe in what their doing.

WIG19
06-21-2006, 11:19
Originally posted by RomanCatholic
Some people are not cut out for military service. An all volunteer force of people who want to be there is far more effective than a force of people who don't want to be there and do not believe in what their doing. I agree completely with that, however there are avenues early on for exercising this. Beyond that, it's about individual accountability; otherwise one is saying that a Soldier can pick & choose their conflicts based on an individual moral compass. I know a reservist who always managed to be ill to the extent of being non-deployable whenever a conflict came along and his unit had to deploy starting Desert Shield/Storm & continuing past OEF/OIF.

Fine; if he's non-deployable he should be released. Not a punitive discharge, but a general under honorable will get the job done. But not allowed to hang in for another 10 years and retire with full benefits, which is an insult to those (and their families) who understood that, when the time came, they had an obligation to go and picked up their ruck. They're AWOL and should be treated accordingly.

RENEA
06-23-2006, 03:40
In a better time Shame-Ham and her ilk would have been arrested and thrown into prison for sedition and aiding the enemy. Where's the HUAC when we need them?

Fred Hansen
06-23-2006, 08:14
Originally posted by Minuteman
They are all going to be real surprised when they get picked up and handed to American MP's at the border.

Canada will not be a shelter for deserters/dodgers this time.

:patriot: Why? Is Canuckistania so busy sheltering terrorists like Ahmed Rassam they are unable to accomodate American deserters?

Canuckistania a terrorist Haven? (http://www.lifesafety.ca/documents/ls0009.htm) Seems like even the Canuckistanians think so. :upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes:

With friends like Canada who needs enemies? :soap:

Arkroyal
06-23-2006, 09:13
The last time I looked at UCMJ's, Going awol while on leave during time of war was not just awol, it's desertion! and I'm fairly sure that going to another country while you are in the military and not coming back, is the same!

Also Mz Shehan, think of her crying with these deserters, bo hoo, I wish my son could be a deserter too! :freak: Is this the same son that you abandoned when a child? Is it the same son that you STILL do not have a grave stone for? (that's rite) What's a matter, been too busy jetting around the country on someone elses money! BITC*! She is a flunky, who is useing her son 's honerable service and death to further her liberal agenda. I wonder WHO is paying her bills? I would personally like to stick a boot in this bitc*s ass. Her son didn't want to go! so what, He was a man, he went! He did his job, upheld his oath to his country. He didn;t agree, but he faught and died. This makes him more of a hero in my book. Any one can fight for something they think is rite! It takes a bigger man to fight for what he thinks is wrong, but gave his oath.

Minuteman
06-23-2006, 15:51
Originally posted by Fred Hansen
Why? Is Canuckistania so busy sheltering terrorists like Ahmed Rassam they are unable to accomodate American deserters?

Canuckistania a terrorist Haven? (http://www.lifesafety.ca/documents/ls0009.htm) Seems like even the Canuckistanians think so. :upeyes: :upeyes: :upeyes:

With friends like Canada who needs enemies? :soap:

They are sheltering ahmed rassam? I thought we arrested him in '99?

I'll think we see a very public campaign against these disserters very soon. This will not be a repeat of vietnam, I'll bet money on it. (as crappy as it sounds, canada is one of the best freinds we've got)

...and yes, going awol durring a time of war is clearly dissertion.
I'm curious why we don't just go and arrest them or sue canada to arrest them.
Those "soldiers" are property of the gov't of the USA, and we want our property back.

Fred Hansen
06-23-2006, 22:13
Originally posted by Minuteman
They are sheltering ahmed rassam? I thought we arrested him in '99?Yes, they sheltered Rassam. They even paid for the motel in which he assembled his explosives. Then again you already knew that, but figured that playing stupid was the way to play it. Whatever. :upeyes:

Cava3r4
06-30-2006, 10:40
if those asshats can hang in there until the next democrat gets in office they will be forgiven.
Back in 1978 or so Jimmy Carter forgave all the deserters and the awols and called my sorry ass into the VA to cut my 30 % VA compensation!
Real sweethearts!
Bob

FedGunner
07-01-2006, 23:09
Originally posted by WIG19
Well, not really; but you could be about to become an ex-Marine as soon as they get you into custody. ex-Marine being different from someone who simply left active duty after however long (1 tour, or a whole career) with an honorable discharge and is still a Marine.

I often wonder if people like Sheehan have jobs; I mean, don't they have to go to work? Is the reason that Republicans typically vote late on Election Day because they've been working all day?

Actually Sheehan is living off her son's insurance pay out.

gjwheels
07-07-2006, 13:50
Roman Catholic: We have an all volunteer military. Those guys that are in there took the same oath that I and millions of men and women before me took. Sorry, I have no sympathy for those people who run and hide. I'm rooting for the MPS at the border.

RENEA
07-07-2006, 19:39
Originally posted by gjwheels
Roman Catholic: We have an all volunteer military. Those guys that are in there took the same oath that I and millions of men and women before me took. Sorry, I have no sympathy for those people who run and hide. I'm rooting for the MPS at the border.

Amen to that!

Arkroyal
07-10-2006, 08:39
Originally posted by Cava3r4
if those asshats can hang in there until the next democrat gets in office they will be forgiven.
Back in 1978 or so Jimmy Carter forgave all the deserters and the awols and called my sorry ass into the VA to cut my 30 % VA compensation!
Real sweethearts!
Bob

I think you and I both got caught in the same sweep. They cut my % down by 20%, I think it was so they didn't have to pick up my medical. :beer: