PS2 Disc read error [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Disc read error

lwt210
06-20-2006, 07:37
Tried a search and couldn't find anything on this.

My son saved up his coins and bought a PS2 last night and the Cars vid game. He has had that thing lock up more than twelve times. Always with the disc read error.

So here is the question? Is this a common occurance with a brand new outta the box system now? I been out of the gaming scene since N64 and am not used to having problems such as these.

I am kicking the idea round about taking it back and swapping it for a Nintendo system.

Thanks in advance.

One Ragged Hole
06-20-2006, 09:34
My son's gets that error sometimes. I take the cover off the unit, disassemble the top of the disc unit and with a very soft brush (old makeup brush) clean the LED that reads the disc. It's most always covered with dust and dirt (the fan brings it in). Cleaning it brings the unit back to life. Be carefull not to scratch or damage the LED. good luck.
O-R-H

gruntmedik
06-20-2006, 09:59
If it is a new PS2, see if you can just exchange it. My PS2 was bought about 6 mos after they came out, and haven't had the 1st problem with it.

RyanSBHF
06-22-2006, 15:47
Originally posted by lwt210
So here is the question? Is this a common occurance with a brand new outta the box system now? I been out of the gaming scene since N64 and am not used to having problems such as these.

Of all the consoles I've ever owned, only the ones from Sony have given me trouble (my Nintendo and Sega ones have worked perfectly). I had my PS2 for a little over a year when I began seeing the disc read error. If yours is still under warranty contact Sony. If not, you may want to try and fix it yourself like I did (information on how to do that is located here (http://faqs.ign.com/articles/390/390535p1.html) )

malkore
06-22-2006, 16:48
what I've heard is that the PS2's started getting made with cheaper parts.

but NIB, it should function. is that the ONLY game you have? will it play a DVD movie? it could be a bad copy of Cars. I got a bad copy of The Sims 2 for my wife...wouldn't install fully on any computer, exhanged it, and it installed fine.

The way they high speed burn/mass produce discs, there are plenty of bad ones around. Worth checking.

fastvfr
06-26-2006, 00:58
For whatever reason, the 'free demo disks' that came in PS gaming mags sometimes wouldn't work at all.

Until they were immersed for a few moments in boiling water, that is.

I have seen this revive many optical disks that had no obvious flaws. The only explaination is that the manufacturing process was rushed and the opaque layer needs heated to make the disk fully readable.

And as for cleaning optical drive lasers, you should only use either canned air or a special lens paper made for camera and microscope lenses.

Or, as was said, return it for a new one that works...

GL!

Roro
07-01-2006, 14:26
Mine is dead...

want some games? Sure theyre more geared towards you but you can have fun with them.

Take it back. Easy as that.