Where can I get a K&N air filter for my Toyota Tacoma? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a K&N air filter for my Toyota Tacoma?

RMTactical
06-20-2006, 13:13
Anyone know where the best place to get one is? How much HP would it add? Maybe 10?

fnfalman
06-20-2006, 13:21
Originally posted by GoreLicks
How much HP would it add? Maybe 10?

Only if you apply the factory-issued sticker.

Berto
06-20-2006, 13:27
I got mine from the local auto parts store.
If you're looking at the whole filter,tunnel heat shield thing (Filter injection performance kit),you might see as much as 8hp gain.The stock filter replacement style ones are more honestly as much as 5hp gain depending on the engine.
THey work,but it's similar to the feel of driving on underinflated tires vs fully inflated...there's a little more spunk,but not earth shattering power gains.

RMTactical
06-20-2006, 15:22
Originally posted by fnfalman
Only if you apply the factory-issued sticker.

No, I'm pretty sure the sticker only gives you 1HP. but every little bit helps.

Originally posted by Berto
I got mine from the local auto parts store.
If you're looking at the whole filter,tunnel heat shield thing (Filter injection performance kit),you might see as much as 8hp gain.The stock filter replacement style ones are more honestly as much as 5hp gain depending on the engine.
THey work,but it's similar to the feel of driving on underinflated tires vs fully inflated...there's a little more spunk,but not earth shattering power gains.

Do you get any better gas mileage? My brother in law has one on his Tundra. I think he said it added 14-15HP to his IIRC, but he said he can't really notice it unless he really guns it...

My Tacoma is a 190HP V6 4x4. If I could get slightly better fuel economy and/or 8-10 HP I think it would be worth it.

wb880
06-22-2006, 01:20
I use to have a 3.4l 190hp tacoma 4x4. I added a k&n drop in and did not notice much at all. Also my mpg stayed at 18mpg. I then did the deckplate mod to the air box as seen on www.ttora.com and noticed a good increase in response and power, and my mpg went up to 20mpg.

I then went to a 4.7L V8 4x4 4runner but my best tank ever, all highway, was 16.3mpg:freak: .

wolfpack_5150
06-23-2006, 02:35
Depending on who you talk to oil/guaze filters may cause problems with the MAF sensor. Do not clean it too often, and never over-oil it. Another problem may be gumming up of the throttle body.
K&Ns arent hard to find, call ur local kragen, autozone, pepboys or the like. Dont expect much horsepower, but much better throttle response.
I suggest getting an extra MAF from the junkyard just in case you have any idle/rpm issues after awhile.

just my 2 pennies

RMTactical
06-24-2006, 16:55
I might hold off. I appreciate the info fellas.

Also, would the deckplate mod in and of itself be an advantage or do you need the intake to make the difference?

nightstorm
06-25-2006, 00:50
Autozone has them. You can check out online vendors like Jeg's and Summit Racing as well. Most likely you won't see a significant increase in horsepower. The great thing about K&N filters is they are designed to flow better than paper filters and you never have to buy another filter again.

RaiderCop
07-01-2006, 21:30
Originally posted by GoreLicks
I might hold off. I appreciate the info fellas.

Also, would the deckplate mod in and of itself be an advantage or do you need the intake to make the difference?

I have a K&N series 63 FIPK Air Intake in my 98 Silverado and 96 Impala SS. Both have served me well. Combined with a good exhaust, they have given me better performance and slightly better mpg. It is important not to over oil the filter, for the above stated reasons; I have never had a problem. I do plan putting one in my 05 Tahoe. A retailer with a great selection is http://www.stylinconcepts.com/

isuzu
07-03-2006, 13:48
www.k&n.com

Rinspeed
07-20-2006, 07:57
I would do some research before buying a K&N. Not only do you have the sensor issue K&N filters are known to allow fine dust particles by that certainly won't help your motor. They do flow very well but it's at a cost.