Leash Training Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leash Training Help

AZBob
06-21-2006, 10:40
I need help leash training my two beagles Bo and Luke (they're over there <--- in my avatar).

They both pull like crazy until they get tired, then Luke continues to pull. They stop when I stop and won't try to run when I'm not walking, but as soon as I start walking, they pull. Because of this, I put them on an EXTREMELY short leash (about two feet) when we walk, which means they are ALWAYS at the length of the leash. Luke pulls so much that he is constricting his airway, but he doesn't seem to care about that.

I would imagine I need to take them out one at a time so that they don't get distracted (though, really, they don't really pay much attention to each other) and so I can control them easier. I have also heard that a muzzle leash/collar will help to control them until they get used to doing what I want them to do.

I understand I have to change something, just let me know what I have to change.

marley
06-21-2006, 12:42
try a gentle leader. It looks sort of like muzzle. It works like in foot ball when someone grabs your facemask. You go where they tell you. You can walk any dog with a finger with these thing. Also just keep stoping when they are pulling. Patrick

HarlDane
06-22-2006, 07:04
Prong collar. My dog pulled once on it, and that was it. Now I don't even hook it up. I leave the leash on his flat collar, but put the prong collar on as well.

lethal tupperwa
06-22-2006, 08:06
normal large link choke collar. (small link is dangerous)

one dog at a time.

long leash at least 8 feet.

hold the leash firmly to your chest or waist.

hold the slack in your other hand.

when the dog goes away from you (pulling)

Drop the slack and Turn around and Go in the Opposite Direction.

when the dog reaches the end of the leash you are going the other way.

Don't say anything when you change direction.

As the dog rejoins you pick up the slack.

when it goes past you drop the slack and turn again.

the dog WILL learn quickly that it has to pay attention to you.

If it does then you couldn't move quickly enough to tighten anything.

keep changing directions the dog learns that to get anywhere it has to go with you not pull you.

limit training to about 10 min at a time.

TurboRocket
06-22-2006, 09:33
Prong collar... A few good corrections will learn 'em mighty quick. I also agree with Lethal's post. They pull, you turn in another direction. Good luck.

AZBob
06-22-2006, 15:03
Sweet, thanks for the replies. I will be implementing these training techniques immediately. I'll let y'all know how it goes if ya care.

Steve #1
06-23-2006, 03:01
I would also suggest the gentle leader. Not all dogs will deal with it, they get distracted and just want to get it off, however, when it works it works great (my guess would be it works for 75% of dogs).

If the dog starts to pull, stop walking. Once the dog settles down then go again and praise the dog while it is doing good.

IF you use the gentle leader do not use the methods others suggested of stopping and turning quickly as you don't want to injure the dogs neck.

Use the gentle leader as a training aid until you get the dogs taught how to behave on a leash. The go to a standard collar.

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=101369+PET+BLK&Cat=Collars

.... and I'd highly suggest training one dog at a time. They won't be distracted by each and you'll be able to focus on the individuals behaviors. Once you get the trained, it shouldn't be an issue.

Steve #1
06-23-2006, 03:05
woops

forthehalibut
06-28-2006, 16:23
Originally posted by Steve #1
I would also suggest the gentle leader. Not all dogs will deal with it, they get distracted and just want to get it off, however, when it works it works great (my guess would be it works for 75% of dogs).........

Our dog is one of the 25%. He did ok with the gentle leader at first, but now he pulls like crazy with it--we can actually pull my wife along, and almost dislocated her shoulder once doing it!

I was thinking about the prong collars, but I heard that they could be dangerous and end up crushing the dogs windpipe--is that true and what are the odds?

Droanx
06-29-2006, 20:45
Prong collar on a beagle? No way...

I have a beagle. They are extremely hard to train. I don't know the correct terms...we have a collar that is nylon with the chain choker. I am only suggesting the choker because our dog used to try to pull out of a regular collar. She got loose and we spent 30 minutes chasing her around the neighborhood...

Beagles are hounds. They hunt. They are pulling on the leash because they are smelling something...Our dog hunts squirrels...seriously she will follow a scent then run up to a bush...out pops a squirrel and she chases it up the nearest tree. Lizards too...

After about 4 months of being consistant on the leash she learned and walks ahead or behind or next to us. Whenever she feels a small pull she comes sprinting to catch up.

Every now and then she smells something really enticing and will refuse to leave. Thats when I have to to call her name and tug a little harder.

Anyways good luck the beagle they really are sweet but they do what they want.

Ever try ice as a treat? We have hardwood floors and she will chase ice around the house for hours.

Steve #1
07-01-2006, 04:28
Originally posted by Droanx
I don't know the correct terms...we have a collar that is nylon with the chain choker.

It's called a Martingale.... unfortunately for me, they don't work well on dogs with big heads because you have to adjust it once you get it on.

Walter45Auto
07-02-2006, 16:27
I'v had the same problem wih my German Shepherd. I've got to where he's not so bad now. I used the prong collar and when he pulls, I stop, lean back, let him back up to take the slack out of the leash, and when he does, we continue walking again. I have an article that explains it in more detail. I'll finad ans post it.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

fastvfr
07-03-2006, 23:26
Teach them to heel NOW.

Then, when he starts pulling (TRAIN ONE DOG AT A TIME), you simply stop walking--and the pup has no choice but to return to your left heel and plop his butt down to complete the maneuver.

Well, okay...there ARE other options open (this IS a Beagle we are talking about!) but if you make sure he won't like their outcomes, they'll be quickly forgotten.

BTW, I agree with the prong collar theory. If nothing else, it gives you one less thing YOU have to correct him on, as he'll do it himself. They are not cruel when used properly--cruelty is when a dog chokes himself on a flat collar and the owner does nothing to prevent it.

Be sure you get a good one. I use Leerburg models exclusively...

http://www.leerburg.com/Photos/quickrealse.jpg