What's the best career path to work in Cheyenne MT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the best career path to work in Cheyenne MT?

NDGlock
06-21-2006, 20:37
I thought I would throw that question out to the AF vets on-board. Any of you been there?

About the closest I got was when I deployed to Iraq w/the 1st Infantry Division. My BN was from ND...light combat engineers. We trained up at Ft. Carson for 6 weeks and saw the mystery mountain everyday.

What's it like in there (w/out going into too much detail of course)?

I've always been curious about the hoops/career path one would take to be in the control room at Cheyenne Mt.

hokieglock
06-22-2006, 12:12
be a space geek.

habu3
06-27-2006, 20:55
My dad was stationed there about a million years ago. He was actually part of the first group that was assigned there and eventually retired from there.

As a kid I got to go in there a couple of times on family days but we obviously didn't get to see the really cool stuff. Riding the 1/4 mile on the little shuttle was fun. The security/blast doors were massive. I think they were about 3 feet thick. There were huge springs supporting the structure in case of a direct strike I suppose.

If you've every been near or in a control center it is similar but larger. My guess is command and control, communications, security, and of course computer specialties are in demand there. There are also a lot of admin and staff positions because of the large number of people and there is also a small hospital.

In order to get there you would need to have one of the required specialties and of course any required clearances. Other than that, put it on your "dream sheet" and hope for getting selected.

Do they still have dream sheets? Man it has been a while since I retired. I know some people who watch Stargate and have seen the old movie War Games and think they know what it looks like in the "Mountain." The exterior shots are close but I don't recall seeing anything like what they showed on tv.

Kalmah
07-04-2006, 00:06
As an AF space geek, I can confirm the space career field will be most beneficial for you to get a job at the mountain. Are you officer or enlisted?

vern23
07-30-2006, 13:03
Not much is going to help you now that they are moving Ops to Pete. Try being a contractor.