Tips on getting first FA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting first FA

binoy
06-22-2006, 00:31
Greetings BOG's, A newbie here and would like to ask around for some tips and tricks in getting my first firearm (g17 or g19).

Im planning to visit Makati Cinema one of these days to check out the prices. I have the ff questions in mind

1. Whats the local price of G17 and G19?
2. What are the things to ask so that I wouldnt look like a moron when it comes to fa's? :)
3. What are the recommended stores to visit? Do you have any contacts?
4. Is there a store that can rent you a g17 or g19 so that one could get a feel of the gun? (test fire if possible)

I would probably purchase the fa at the gun show this July. Would there be a BOG stall there :)
1. What are the requirements? The license procesing, how long does it take?

Thanks

horge
06-22-2006, 02:28
Hi :)

1. Whats the local price of G17 and G19?
You're looking at 35 to 42K depending on model, and on who's selling :)

2. What are the things to ask so that I wouldnt look like a moron when it comes to fa's?
You will look like a moron if you DON'T ask questions.
Ask, ask, ask, and ask. No matter how obvious the answer
might seem to whoever you're talking to. That said...
Ask about warranties; ask them to call FED warehouse to verify the
unit's existence and physical presence there, and ask for the unit's
serial number; ask about ammo/cleaners/substances that should NOT be
used with the pistol; ask exactly how much the licensing fees are, and
how much their 'processing fee' is separately; ask about timeframe
for delivery; ask about extra mag prices and other accesories;
...then deadpan ask 'em about the timeframe again. ;)

3. What are the recommended stores to visit? Do you have any contacts?
Weapons Systems Corp., if they still have Glock stock.
You can try Trust Trade too.

4. Is there a store that can rent you a g17 or g19 so that one could get a feel of the gun? (test fire if possible)
Haven't got a clue, sorry.
You can search this forum for "G19" or "G17" and turn up a few new
and old owners, and try to set up a meet if they'll let you pop off a
few rounds from their Glocks.

The Gun Show itself is almost a one-stop shop for FA requirements,
where you can get 'drug-tested' and all that crock (lots of ID photo
booths elsewhere in the mall). However, be forewarned that you will
wait anywhere from 4 weeks up to several months for your firearm,
depending on the integrity of the person/company you're buying from.

Know your safety rules unto instinctiveness.
Train hard, fight hard.

h.
:)

antediluvianist
06-22-2006, 03:33
Be aware that there is no external safety on a Glock - be very sure that you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire . And be sure nobody else - others in your house, whatever - can get hold of your Glock.

9MX
06-22-2006, 03:54
binoy,

1.if you're primary use for the FA is daily carry - G19

2. for carry and IPSC comp or just IPSC comp - G17, G19 oks pa din pero talo ka sa mag capacity sa IPSC

3. if same as no. 2 but for IDPA comp - G19

IIRC, there is no price diff between G17 and 19, the diff kicks in when you get a higher caliber.

we will be practicing on sunday at armscor around 10am, if you show up, i'd let you shoot my G17.:cool:

cebuboy
06-22-2006, 04:38
try going to a gun club, there you can meet people with experience with guns. you can learn learn a lot of things from them and most of them will let you shoot their guns too:)

binoy
06-22-2006, 07:27
Thanks for the replies .

horge ...
very enlightening :-)
All points noted ..

antediluvianist ...
Thanks for the warning. I already have a safe ready.

9MX...
My primary goal right now is to learn, I'll think about competing when the targets are falling fast .. really fast :) Which would probably take a long time :frown:
Very tempting offer though for the G17 shoot unfortunately im the designated driver of the wifey this Sunday..

cebuboy..
Sir deenoh has provided the WSC contacts, ill check them out one of this days.

Thanks again ..

MR_BIG
06-22-2006, 07:44
go to mcs, trust trade look for bernard, tell him, youre a friend of mr croox, he will help you out pagdating sa requirements, 3-4 weeks bago lumabas yung unit. btw, ill get the 17 if i were u

darth board
06-22-2006, 21:46
get the g17. it's the first and the best of all glocks.

jasonub
06-23-2006, 01:14
go straight to a standard pistol. Duun ka rin babaksak, or open pistol:shocked: :supergrin:

I started with a berretta 92 fs then a sig 226 my primary thing was carry piece. A friend of mine told me to take a short cut and get a 1911. I did not beleive him, me using a dinosaur gun? no way!!!

then I bought a hk 9mm then a usp 45 then an armscor framed standard pistol in 45 acp (cool trigger, easy to shoot and hit with)

then an armscor framed sti topped std pistol in 40 cal(better, more bullets!)

then svi.

sold everything and stuck with the svi.

If ptc becomes easyer on the pocket then ill get another hk usp maybe in 40 cal or a single stack in 10mm.

good luck with your choice and your journey. If i had to do it altogether again, i would have just tested a tweaked 1911 and go straight to buy the sti or svi

brawnless
06-24-2006, 09:03
4. True Weight, Araneta

They have a Glock 17 that you could rent in their indoor range. Unfortunately, they are closed on Sundays while I am free on Sundays.

OT: I am looking for a range that is open on Sundays that rents out Glock pistols. (Glock 17 to be specific) :supergrin:

pipo
06-24-2006, 17:30
I agree with jasonub. I too was on the same boat not so long ago. Got interested with all these pistols i often see on TV and movies (sigs, glocks and hk). Tried most of them and in the end the 1911 still works best for me. I am more accurate with the 1911 and its SA trigger and the safeties for me are more reasuring. Nowadays my glock 17 just sits inside my safe. Whatever you choose however, practise well with it. :)

isuzu
06-24-2006, 19:44
Originally posted by darth board
get the g17. it's the first and the best of all glocks.

Yep!

isuzu
06-24-2006, 19:55
Originally posted by jasonub
go straight to a standard pistol. Duun ka rin babaksak, or open pistol:shocked: :supergrin:

Something similar happened to me. Started with a 1911. Switched to a Browning MKIII. Bought a Taurus PT92 (which I later gave to my wife). She actually liked it so much that I had to give it to her. Sold the Browning and got a Glock 17. Didn't get contented with a Glock, and bought a Norinco 1911. Sold the Norinco :crying: and got a Glock 19. Sold both Glocks and got a 1911. So much for the confusion.

Will definitely get a Norinco 1911 or probably an NZ85 or a Glock 17 from Deenoh when I go home.

antediluvianist
06-24-2006, 20:25
Ah yes, the great circuit route: start with a 1911A1, go on to 9mms, .22s, .40s, .357s, in Glock/CZ/RUGER/S&W/what-have-you, then come back, with love , to the wonderful 1911A1 with .45acp.

Nah... who needs a barrel bushing, and unreliable feeding of hollow-points?

My end-point is the .357 mag. revolver. And a shotgun for home defense. I'm a civilian.

For a soldier, using the non-hollow-point bullets which are supposed to be required in military use by international laws, the 1911A1 should be fine.

Alexii
06-24-2006, 23:39
Save a lot of money and go straight to the 1911A1.;)

Seriously, you'd be well served by your two choices (the 17 and 19). GLOCKs in 9mm are tops in the reliability department. Just curious, why these two guns? What other guns have you tried?

isuzu
06-25-2006, 00:05
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Ah yes, the great circuit route: start with a 1911A1, go on to 9mms, .22s, .40s, .357s, in Glock/CZ/RUGER/S&W/what-have-you, then come back, with love , to the wonderful 1911A1 with .45acp.

Nah... who needs a barrel bushing, and unreliable feeding of hollow-points?

My end-point is the .357 mag. revolver. And a shotgun for home defense. I'm a civilian.

For a soldier, using the non-hollow-point bullets which are supposed to be required in military use by international laws, the 1911A1 should be fine.

Federal came out with the Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) while Corbon has Pow'rball. I've seen some of the Corbons sold at Nashe.

binoy
06-25-2006, 09:44
Originally posted by Alexii
Save a lot of money and go straight to the 1911A1.;)

Seriously, you'd be well served by your two choices (the 17 and 19). GLOCKs in 9mm are tops in the reliability department. Just curious, why these two guns? What other guns have you tried?

I dont think I can handle the 1911 yet. Ill stick with the glock and will probably go the 1911 route 1-2 yrs from now.
I like the Glock bec:
1. Less maintenance(?)
2. Less temptation (?) I read a thread that 1911 is like a can of pringles... once you pop ..you cant stop:supergrin: I think its a bit big for me.
3. ammo. cheaper, and i have 2 friends who are willing give me some of their extra loads.
4. I like the way it looks.
5. Its light.

Probably not the best reasons, but im just starting and I could get a 1911 for my second FA.

Guns I tried? Mostly rifles M16, carbine and .22's. So im really a newbie when it comes to pistols.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys. Im still dilly-dallying with the 17/19. Hopefully ill make up my mind befor the gun show. The chairman of the board have approved the purchase. Its her gift to me daw;)

MR_BIG
06-26-2006, 08:07
Originally posted by binoy
I dont think I can handle the 1911 yet. Ill stick with the glock and will probably go the 1911 route 1-2 yrs from now.
I like the Glock bec:
1. Less maintenance(?)
2. Less temptation (?) I read a thread that 1911 is like a can of pringles... once you pop ..you cant stop:supergrin: I think its a bit big for me.

answer to your problem is get a 2011.:supergrin: :supergrin: