How do tankers carry their sidearms? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do tankers carry their sidearms?

Lior
06-23-2006, 21:19
Hi. I have a question - how do M1 / M60 tank crewmen usually carry their M9s? I would imagine that hatch diameter is a constraint as to holster type.

As an artilleryman (M109 SP howitzer), I have no problem carrying a G19 using a Safariland 6280 - our hatches are huge compared to those of tanks.

Any feedback would be welcome - thanks.

Cav
06-24-2006, 00:16
A shoulder holster. Under the arm, or in front of the chest.

A'boy
06-24-2006, 12:46
As an artilleryman (M109 SP howitzer), I have no problem carrying a G19 using a Safariland 6280 - our hatches are huge compared to those of tanks.

How are you able to carry anything other than the M9? You are US military right?

Lior
06-24-2006, 18:08
Originally posted by A'boy
How are you able to carry anything other than the M9? You are US military right?

Nope. Israeli military.

Cav
06-25-2006, 00:57
Originally posted by Lior
Nope. Israeli military.

And you carry Glocks?

Wow seems like everyone trusts Glocks.
One day I hope to serve in the Israeli military (for a few months), but I have to retire first.

Lior
06-25-2006, 01:03
Originally posted by Cav
And you carry Glocks?

Wow seems like everyone trusts Glocks.
One day I hope to serve in the Israeli military (for a few months), but I have to retire first.

It's not like it's easy for people to own guns. There must be about 3 people in our battalion who own handguns, plus another half a dozen who are issued handguns as part of their work. The gun laws here makes New Jersey look like Knob Creek.

But yes, Glocks are extremely good pistols.

While I served in the army, I earned $50 a month, so you may want to reconsider.

Cav
06-25-2006, 06:54
Originally posted by Lior
While I served in the army, I earned $50 a month, so you may want to reconsider.

Thats why I want to retire first :)

IMHO you are working for one of the best military forces (some of the best war stories come from there).

I always thought everyone over there had a gun. Had friends there for R&R who said people at the beaches had UZI's and other weapons just slung over their chairs like nothing, while out and about.

Lior
06-25-2006, 06:57
The government is trying to eradicate civilian possession and ownership of firearms.

That said, I went into the sea yesterday with my G19 in a fanny pack, but that was the only gun on the beach as far as I know. Besides T&A is more interesting than firepower...

A'boy
06-25-2006, 12:20
Ahh, I see. I saw the "NRA member", and presumed you were American.

I know I've seen pictures of deployed US soldiers carrying different sidearms than the M9 and I know they aren't all SF. I've also heard stories of people's own experience carrying them too. I've just wondered how they pulled it off(ie, special permission from CoC or just having it on them w/out anyone's knowledge or just a blind eye turned towards them).

I've heard from a buddy of mine in my unit that you could, but it had to be turned into the armory, recieve an inventory number and basically not be yours anymore and anyone who outranks you could have it if they wanted to.