Do you carry a back-up gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a back-up gun?

HEAVY
06-26-2006, 00:46
hey, guys.

aside from your primary carry gun, do you also carry back-up?

what's your combination?

i usually only carry one but i've read and heard of people (not law enforcement officers) that carry 2 guns.

i'm not sure i would do the same (mahal ng ptc, hehe) but if i ever did, i would probably have my g19 with 1 extra mag as primary and a small frame revolver like a taurus model 850 with +p's as back-up.

i'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

sundancekid
06-26-2006, 02:33
i used to do that before. i carry my P14 as my primary and my P13 as my backup. but i got tired of carrying 'heavy' pieces coupled with the fact that nowadays sobra mahal na ng PTC (it only cost like P3,500/PTC b4). now i only carry my G19 plus two spare mags fed with Hornady 147g XTP JHP.

jimbullet
06-26-2006, 05:08
Presently, my primary weapon is my 1911 45 ACP gun with a bucket of mags. My back up is a g26. The combination is kinda...not so good especially with my trigger finger but I just have to be aware what gun Im firing coz both have different trigger pull feel

Valor1
06-26-2006, 06:49
Would love to carry a back-up pistol but I don't have back-up to pay for the extra PTC. Perhaps a knife as a back-up or extra mags will do. If I carry a back-up,it would be a pistol that will take the magazine of the primary gun and in all probability same operation or trigger pull (i.e. Glock 17 w/ Glock 26, Colt Gov't model w/ Colt Officers model, Beretta 92FS w/ Walther PPK, Ruger Redhawk w/ Ruger SP101, etc.)

royal glockster
06-26-2006, 08:25
Originally posted by Valor1
Would love to carry a back-up pistol but I don't have back-up to pay for the extra PTC. Perhaps a knife as a back-up or extra mags will do. If I carry a back-up,it would be a pistol that will take the magazine of the primary gun and in all probability same operation or trigger pull (i.e. Glock 17 w/ Glock 26, Colt Gov't model w/ Colt Officers model, Beretta 92FS w/ Walther PPK, Ruger Redhawk w/ Ruger SP101, etc.)

+1. If u really want to have a back-up gun, the caliber, magazine, or even trigger operation ideally must be the same with the primary gun. In that way, spare mags would not be a problem. So, if you carry a g19 or g17, your back-up gun must be g26. The same principle applies if your carry a standard or commander model 1911, the back-up gun must be a either an officer or defender model 1911. See, compatibility of mags and ammo is the name of game, not to mention the uniformity of trigger action mechanism. Just my two cents bro!

sundancekid
06-26-2006, 22:30
Originally posted by royal glockster
+1. If u really want to have a back-up gun, the caliber, magazine, or even trigger operation ideally must be the same with the primary gun. In that way, spare mags would not be a problem. So, if you carry a g19 or g17, your back-up gun must be g26. The same principle applies if your carry a standard or commander model 1911, the back-up gun must be a either an officer or defender model 1911. See, compatibility of mags and ammo is the name of game, not to mention the uniformity of trigger action mechanism. Just my two cents bro!

+1 :)

isuzu
06-27-2006, 00:17
Originally posted by HEAVY
hey, guys.

aside from your primary carry gun, do you also carry back-up?

what's your combination?

i usually only carry one but i've read and heard of people (not law enforcement officers) that carry 2 guns.

i'm not sure i would do the same (mahal ng ptc, hehe) but if i ever did, i would probably have my g19 with 1 extra mag as primary and a small frame revolver like a taurus model 850 with +p's as back-up.

i'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

If you really want to carry a back up gun with your G19 as a primary gun, you would be better off with a G26 as your back up. That way, you could still use G19 mags on the G26.

jimbullet
06-27-2006, 06:49
In practicality, I agree, its gotta be the same caliber and same operating pistol style but variety is something that we like. If you have been owning a 1911 style pistol for like years already you would like to own a pistol that is kinda new - simply for the thrill and fun. Its like you've own a mistubishi and you'd like to try out a honda...

pipo
06-27-2006, 09:02
I don't carry a back up gun. All I need would be my 8 rnds of 45 acp for protection as a last recourse. Heck I'm not going to war anyway and my primary self defense is to turn and run like hell.:supergrin:

isuzu
06-27-2006, 17:41
Originally posted by pipo
Heck I'm not going to war anyway and my primary self defense is to turn and run like hell.:supergrin:

You got it right!;)

sundancekid
06-28-2006, 09:28
Originally posted by pipo
Heck I'm not going to war anyway and my primary self defense is to turn and run like hell.:supergrin:

+1 :)

blinkin357
06-28-2006, 12:21
I haven't been carrying a BUG lately but I'm thinking of it because I'm concerned that my Glock 30 (sn EPWxxx) may be one of the defective ones. I don't trust my G30 but want .45 caliber when it works right.

Last year, I sent my Glock 21 for "upgrade" but shipping costs were too much so I'm putting off calling about my Glock 30. The 21 is too big for comfortable concealed carry.

KevlarSix
07-18-2006, 21:07
I only carry a Colt Mustang .380 It's very small and I carry it in a waistband or a custom made wallet holster. I also carry just one clip of 6 rounds (The most I need) and withdraw from the scene. Most of my friends were surprised on how effective the gun can be concealed and how you can still carry it with the shirt tucked in. IMO, surprise is still the best element in all situations.

My 2 cents worth..
KevlarSix

MR_BIG
07-19-2006, 10:09
Originally posted by blinkin357
I haven't been carrying a BUG lately but I'm thinking of it because I'm concerned that my Glock 30 (sn EPWxxx) may be one of the defective ones. I don't trust my G30 but want .45 caliber when it works right.

Last year, I sent my Glock 21 for "upgrade" but shipping costs were too much so I'm putting off calling about my Glock 30. The 21 is too big for comfortable concealed carry.

looks like youre not shooting your pistol that much, how do you know if its defective? you need to test it at the range first. if doesnt have any hiccups after 1000 rounds over a period of a month or so, i guess your good to go.

rhino465
07-19-2006, 16:50
I always carry a minimum of two. The primary reason is not as a "back-up," but because I need to be able to access a gun with my left hand in case my right side is inaccessible for some reason. The fact that it serves as a back-up is a nice bonus.

I carry two 1911s in .45ACP. Right now it's a full size and a commander, but it's usually two full size. I used to carry a pair of Para P14.45s, but I shoot my single stacks in matches and I shoot better with them, so I switched.

Dalton Wayne
07-19-2006, 17:18
I always carry two, my main ccw is my Glock 30 with a laser max laser, mep. night sites, with a 10 round mag in the mag well, a 13 round mag in my pocket, and two ten round mags on my hip, all loaded with Remington Golden saber 185 gr +P HP with one in the pipe.
My back up gun is a Kel-Tec P-3AT with 7 cor-bon hp 90 gr with a back up mag on my belt, will be adding a 2oz can of fox labs pepper spray soon.
Best DW
Doug

jundeleon
07-19-2006, 21:30
I read in one gun magazine that the back up gun ideally should be a small frame revolver in a potent caliber like the 357 magnum for reliability / fail safe function.

The ease of operation of a revolver is also a factor when the back up gun has to be lent to a companion in a shooting situation.

In the good old days of cheap PTC, I used to carry a CZ 75B with two extra mags and a Taurus M605, a five shooter 357. That gun is so light and so small you sometimes forget its there on your IWB.

Soon i will get PTCs for my Glock 35 and my 23 as my carry guns. The 35 with four mags shall stay in the car and the 23 plus 2 mags on my waist.

But that will happen only after I get familiar with the tupperware trigger system.

Why Glocks? Light, high capacity, and the laser sword is beginning to take its toll on my back.

jimbullet
07-21-2006, 16:44
Same here dude, my pistol, ala joker in the batman sequel movie, which shot batman's plane is killing my back...Glock is better, ultralight and yet high capacity.