Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit?

bac1023
06-26-2006, 05:47
I'm going to keep my older Honda Civic as a backup, but I'm looking to purchase a new car for daily driving. I travel a good deal of miles and want one of these new compacts from Toyota or Honda. Both of which I believe make the most reliable cars on the road. I have compared the two online. I prefer the Honda's standard features and interior, however I'm not really a 4-door guy. The Yaris is available in a 2-door hatchback and, once equipped with similar features, is still almost 2 grand less expensive than the Fit.

The Fit recently won Car and Driver's compact car comparison over 5 or 6 other cars in the catagory, including the Yaris. However, I'm not buying the car for handling or acceleration and the Yaris achieved the best fuel mileage in the test, even in 4-door trim.

I don't care for the Toyota's central instrumentation. I don't know why they use it on their small cars, but I think its a mistake.

That said, I'm leaning towards the Yaris due to the better fuel economy, cheaper price, and two door availability. I'm able to get them both at dealer invoice, so that will further reduce the price.

Does anyone have an opinion on these two econoboxes?

bac1023
06-26-2006, 05:50
Honda Fit (not Fit Sport)

bac1023
06-26-2006, 05:51
Toyota Yaris

Dandapani
06-26-2006, 06:16
Sometimes it is cheaper to insure a 4 door car over a 2 door car.

epsylum
06-26-2006, 16:33
I would pick the Yaris only because I am a Toyota fan (nothing wrong with Honda). Also it is the cheapest AND gets the best gas milage, which is the 2 main criteria for a car in this class.

BTW the reason for the center instruments is so they only need one dash for either left or right hand drive cars. This is why it is on the cheaper cars as it is a cost cutting measure. Toyota claims a bunch of silly stuff like "it is easier to see" or something like that, but the real reason is to save $$$.

bac1023
06-26-2006, 20:08
Originally posted by epsylum
I would pick the Yaris only because I am a Toyota fan (nothing wrong with Honda). Also it is the cheapest AND gets the best gas milage, which is the 2 main criteria for a car in this class.

BTW the reason for the center instruments is so they only need one dash for either left or right hand drive cars. This is why it is on the cheaper cars as it is a cost cutting measure. Toyota claims a bunch of silly stuff like "it is easier to see" or something like that, but the real reason is to save $$$.

Yeah, I've read about the dollar savings involved with the center instruments. However, considering the complaints Toyota got from Echo's dash, I thought it would have changed when the Yaris came stateside. However, I drove two Toyota center dash cars today and it didn't bother me much.

The first car I test drove was a Yaris sedan (the liftback wasn't available). It was the 4 speed auto, but I liked the car overall. I also drove the Scion xA with a 5 speed manuel. Although they use the same engine, the manuel transmission makes a big difference. It reminded me why I don't buy autos.

Anyway, the Scion was fun. It handled well, came with many standard features, and has that great Toyota reliability. I can get the Scion 4 door hatch for almost the same price as the Yaris 2 door hatch with similar equipment. I mostly have had 2 door cars, but I do like the extra room in a 4 door, especially a hatchback.

I'm going to try to drive a Fit tomorrow, if possible. I may also try to drive a couple others in the catagory, but I feel most comfortable with Honda or Toyota.

isuzu
07-03-2006, 13:55
For a sturdy suspension, I would choose Toyota over a Honda. They've had WRC experience while Honda doesn't. That's why Honda Cars Philippines did not allow Honda Civics for taxi use, because their suspension wasn't that good. Toyota Corollas are the #1 choice for taxis, airport service, and hotel service in the Philippines.

Toyota engines also last. It's not uncommon to see Toyota vehicles with 200,000+ kms on the odometer and still going strong.

My sister regretted buying a 2001 CRV. Gave her suspension problems even when it was just a few months old. The dealer didn't want to honor the vehicle's warranty until we threatened to file a case against them.

That's why we're starting to change our farm and office service to an all-Toyota fleet in the Philippines.

spober
08-01-2006, 19:07
Originally posted by isuzu
For a sturdy suspension, I would choose Toyota over a Honda. They've had WRC experience while Honda doesn't. That's why Honda Cars Philippines did not allow Honda Civics for taxi use, because their suspension wasn't that good. Toyota Corollas are the #1 choice for taxis, airport service, and hotel service in the Philippines.

Toyota engines also last. It's not uncommon to see Toyota vehicles with 200,000+ kms on the odometer and still going strong.

My sister regretted buying a 2001 CRV. Gave her suspension problems even when it was just a few months old. The dealer didn't want to honor the vehicle's warranty until we threatened to file a case against them.

That's why we're starting to change our farm and office service to an all-Toyota fleet in the Philippines. anti honda,talk about you chevy/ford rivalry!