New Mustang in the snow? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Mustang in the snow?

Fungunner
06-27-2006, 14:11
Anybody have experience with the new Mustang in the snow? Wife's fondest dream is to have a new GT Convertible. Now that the car has been out there for about a couple years, just wondering if folks at Glock Talk might have one or know someone that could give us a clue.

Rob1035
06-27-2006, 19:32
does the GT come with a LSD? That would be a crucial option. In general, RWD cars are good in the snow with a decent set of snow tires. Now if you live in Vermont or something with lots of deep snow year round, that might not be a plan. But my BMW got me around just fine in about a foot last winter with a few extra lbs in the trunk, limited slip rear end, and nice aggressive tires. FWIW.

Ron3
06-27-2006, 20:10
Yes the Mustang GT comes with a limited slip differential and 3.31 gears. (5-spd manual or 5spd auto) A simple traction control system is also standard. All it does it keep the rear wheels from spinning during accelleration.

4-wheel ABS is standard too.

Ron3

triggerjerk
06-27-2006, 21:48
Try doing a search on the tirerack.com for snow tires for the car and look at the reviews.

norton
06-28-2006, 12:14
In Indiana, I travel 4 days a week in my job, on interstates, state highways, county roads and city streets.
The majority of the cars and vehicles in the ditch are rear wheel drive.
Even front wheel drive cars sometimes do not have enough ground clearance to handle packed hard snow. Rear wheel drive cars, forget it.
I think ice is more treacherous then snow.
The only Rear wheel drive vehicle I would have in the winter in Indiana is a 4 wheel drive pickup or Jeep.

walkin' trails
06-28-2006, 19:34
Throw a couple of 50 lb bags of sand in the trunk, one behind each rear wheel. Consider investing in a set of snow tires in addition.