Desert Eagle .44mag any use ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eagle .44mag any use ?

paltik45
06-28-2006, 17:02
Hi there again mga Sir. I just want to get your opinion about this particular pistol (Desert Eagle .357 or .44mag). I would like to know if there are any PRACTICAL use of this massive beast in the Philippine setting. Like for self defense, competition or carry gun(:freak: ). Here in the USA I've seen some of our club members have them and use them for hunting small games like mountain goat and wild boar. But in the Pinas I dont see any practical use of it. So what do you think mga Sir?

PS. Kaya ko kasi naitanong ay may nag aalok sa brother ko for 40,000php with papers and he is asking my opinion. Thanks

jasonub
06-28-2006, 18:02
good price but what will he use it for? It will be a nice collectors item.

Not much game here except maya birds and denr has revoked all hunting permits.

Maybe something to play with?> Bullets are expensive and hard to get by 44 magnum and 50AE. 357 dami naman.

Use and want are 2 different things. For me, want is more important:supergrin:

rex_valerian
06-28-2006, 18:48
Shot a few dozen rounds using the 357 version.

Pros: Very accurate, very controllable recoil. Huge flame blast (intimidation factor) using imported/relatively high powered (non-Armscor) ammo.

Downsides: EXTREMELY large and heavy. Not exactly a hip holster option. Doesn't cycle reliably with certain ammo, most importantly Armscor and a few other local brands.

Practical? Not very. Unless your brother's Shaq, of course.

But as a collectible, very very nice. Price is excellent presuming good condition.

(And if your brother isn't interested, would you mind dropping me a PM?)

:)

New_comer
06-28-2006, 18:57
IIRC, a DE weighs more than 6 lbs, or about three 1911's...:shocked:

If it shoots as well as I've read it does, it worth the 40G.

The pride of ownership, especially the 'wow' factor when you do shoot one at a range, especially the 44mag or 50AE, is priceless. ;)

Though I believe you'd be stung with almost a hundred kesos a pop for a full powered mag round. :cool:

isuzu
06-28-2006, 21:49
For hunting, maybe. For self defense, better get a finely tuned 1911 (in .45 ACP, .38 Super or 9mm), a Glock, a Browning MK III, a Beretta 92F or a Taurus PT 92.:)

darth board
06-28-2006, 22:50
at 40k talagang mura yan but the question is saan mo gagamitin lalo na yung 44 and 50 caliber? ammo is expensive and even in 357 you can't use armscor ammo medyo mahina kasi armscor to cycle the massive slide and double recoil spring.

941f
06-29-2006, 03:49
Totoo po yon.
Ayaw talaga mag cycle sa Armscor. Had tried it once.
mapili sya sa bala. Gusto ay imported.

:)

HEAVY
06-29-2006, 03:57
honestly, i have no experience with the deser eagles.

personally, it seems hard to justify owning one from a practical point of view. you don't need it.

but like a wise(r) man just said, and i rephrase :

"do not confuse "need" with "want". "want" is more important.";)

darwin25
06-29-2006, 04:38
6 pounds? Honestly if I have to carry a handgun that weighs almost as much as a rifle, i'd carry a rifle.

But as with jasonub says, want is more important.:supergrin:

horge
06-29-2006, 05:13
It has good name-cachet, assuming it's all-stock genuine
At 40k, it's a no-brainer, assuming good condition.
Buy it, and if/when you get tired of it, resell at profit
to the next person jonesing for a hand howitzer.

JM2P

cebuboy
06-29-2006, 09:09
40k is a good deal, stronghand knows the reload recipe for the de in .44mag:)