Ranger School Is it mostly Physical? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ranger School Is it mostly Physical?

Hal9mm
06-29-2006, 13:10
I have heard alot about it, not sure what to believe but I get the impression you really need to be in incredible shape to even have a fighting chance.

Any insight? I can only amagine how hard the junior enlisted guys from Ranger Battalion train to get the chance at Ranger School.

I am only at 285 in my PT now so I realize I need alot of improvement.

Odin's Underlin
06-29-2006, 13:31
If you want to become an Army Ranger you must be in good enoigh shape to last the entire course. There is food and sleep deprivation the whole time. You will be constantly on the move and the stress of not being able to eat or sleep will reduce the ranks quickly. You must have a sincere desire to make it through and if you are intending on being assigned to the Ranger Regiment, you can expect more of the same. Go to armyranger.com and learn more there. Don't ask a lot of questions over there that have been answered a million times, use the search function and read what others have to say.

Hal9mm
06-29-2006, 14:12
Originally posted by Odin's Underlin
If you want to become an Army Ranger you must be in good enoigh shape to last the entire course. There is food and sleep deprivation the whole time. You will be constantly on the move and the stress of not being able to eat or sleep will reduce the ranks quickly. You must have a sincere desire to make it through and if you are intending on being assigned to the Ranger Regiment, you can expect more of the same. Go to armyranger.com and learn more there. Don't ask a lot of questions over there that have been answered a million times, use the search function and read what others have to say.

Thanks I will check that site, I will not be assigned to Ranger Regiment I will just be going to School and than back to my company.

Arkroyal
06-29-2006, 14:44
Originally posted by Hal9mm
Thanks I will check that site, I will not be assigned to Ranger Regiment I will just be going to School and than back to my company.

I don't know what sort of experience you have in the field, but think of all the things that go into getting an EIB, then add some more things to it. Times that by a bunch and you may be getting close.:supergrin: Any way Best of luck to ya.:beer: :beer:

RangerAv8r
06-29-2006, 21:53
It is both mental and physical. Two months of very little sleep, lots of walking in austere training areas and not much food. I went in 1987 lost 42 pounds. Benning (& Darby,) Mountains, Desert (Dugway) then Florida. It's different now but it's still tough. You have to want it. I was so hungry at Darby that I snuck into the dumpster and grabbed MRE bean packets that guys had thrown out because they didnít like them. Walking up and down the Tennessee Valley Divide in the mountains and getting giardia was no fun. Flipping boats in the winter in Florida was really cold. I look back on it and am glad I had the guts to stick it out. There was no way I was going to Korea without a tab.
M

ranger88
07-02-2006, 17:21
I agree with everything that has been written so far. I went in 1988 and it was no picnic. Even with all of the misery and suffering, if you complete the course you will reap the rewards for the rest of your life. I went almost 20 years ago and still find myself telling stories from that fateful 58 days. I was 150 pounds at 5'10" going into Ranger School and was a PT stud. A lean mean fighting machine. And it did NOT serve me well in Ranger School. I came out weighing 122 pounds and had some nerve damage to my shoulders and arms from carrying such heavy rucks. I should have trained more with ruck marching instead of doing tons of running for endurance. My advice is to do as many core exercises as you can to build overall usable strength and to not lean yourself out too much. Go int Ranger School with some muscle mass. Swimming would be great exercise. Most of all have the right frame of mind and the determination to finish what you start. QUIT is not a word that should be in your vocabulary. Remember how many people would give valuable body parts just to have a chance to go to Ranger School. Don't waste the slot. Best of luck to you.

mdavid
07-25-2006, 16:37
It's very physical and more mental. You need to be physically all there but your mind must be tough and you must be able to play tricks on yourself to not quit or start feeling too bad for yourself. You should be cool with dying or getting seriously injured rather than quiting, then when you finally find yourself sobbing while walking in the swamp you'll have something to laugh at yourself about. You should be getting in shape with the same devotion.

JohnNC
07-26-2006, 03:37
I went in 1998 when I was 32, and I was in good shape but no Olympian. Itīs mostly an endurance thing, and I would say more mental endurance than physical. If you can carry a ruck, pass the APFT (with plenty of room to spare) and 5 mile run, you should be good. You just have to make your mind up that you will never quit.

Saw a lot of guys in a lot better shape than me fall by the wayside. Started second-guessing themselves, wondering why they were there, thinking about home, food, sleep, and soon they were gone.

I would say go for it. It is completely doable, just put your mind to it and never waver. Good luck.

AKJD
07-26-2006, 12:53
As one of my soldiers stated upon his return, "Ranger school is not hard, it just SUCKS"

There's been plenty of Ranger students that were PT studs that failed because they were not mentally prepared for the course. Yes, you need to be in shape physically, but if your mind is not right, you won't make it. As stated, being able to hump a heavy ruck and having endurance is more important than being able to run 2 miles in 11 minutes. If there is a pre Ranger course available that you can attend, it would be wise to do so. It's important that you allready know your basic soldier skills and navigation, a basic understanding of the patrol order process and patrolling is nice, but they will teach you what you need to know to pass your patrols. Have a good attitude, stay motivated, be a team player. Spot-light Rangers are exposed pretty quickly.

JD

jowee
07-29-2006, 16:11
I've seen a lot of CO's with Ranger tabs that tell me the same thing, it's almost all mental.

And everything already said is very true.

Horned Toad
08-08-2006, 00:04
Originally posted by Hal9mm
I have heard alot about it, not sure what to believe but I get the impression you really need to be in incredible shape to even have a fighting chance.

Any insight? I can only amagine how hard the junior enlisted guys from Ranger Battalion train to get the chance at Ranger School.

I am only at 285 in my PT now so I realize I need alot of improvement.

The junior enlisted guys from Bat donít train up for Ranger school; they just do that stuff everyday. Itís not if you go to RS but when, just a block to check, and if you donít come back with a tab, depending on why you didnít get one, you go down the road to leg land. Pretty good motivation to deal with the suck.

ranger88
08-08-2006, 08:47
The "Bat boys" were definitely the best trained and prepared of all of the candidates that I went to school with when considering groups of soldiers as a whole. I would bet that they also had the highest pass rate as well. There is something to be said for training hard all of the time. It will always pay dividends when the going gets tough, and then tougher still.