99 DAKOTA misses [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 99 DAKOTA misses

manonmars
07-02-2006, 16:58
Anyone know a fix for this problem?

99 Dakota, 68 K.....318, auto.

It has a miss under slight load, especially when pulling hills.

I replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PVC.

Went to place of purchase, they scoped it, could find nothing.

They say they contacted Dodge, and factory/dealer said;

"This particular model just has a miss that we can't figure out. That's why we don't keep this year on the used car lots. The buyer can throw a lot of money at this problem, and we may or may not find a fix, and probably won't".

I just bought this as it is really clean, but did not notice problem before............duh

I'm about ready to go park it back on their lot and walk away unless I can find a fix......(I realize ramifications of doing this , but not concerned....I have an "out".)

Anyone KNOW anything about this problem, and is there a fix?

THANKS!!!

manonmars
07-04-2006, 16:19
WHAT?

No ideas at all?????

NO dodge mechanics out there?

elgoatropo
07-05-2006, 17:33
I work on airplanes, which share a few commonalities with Dodge trucks.

If I were troubleshooting it, I would try to recreate the problem by finding a dark garage, putting my head under the hood while a buddy loads up the engine, preferably in reverse so he doesn't smash you against the Nordictrac if the brakes slip. THere is a good chance you'll see some arcing when the problem occurs.

If not, there is a remote possibility you might have some freaky buildup inside one of your jugs that is grounding a plug.

Did you gap your new plugs? Are your injectors clean?

manonmars
07-05-2006, 19:12
HHHHHHMMMMM, I'll try that "Garage idea".....

# 8 plug was slightly fouled when I changed it...Research says it's valve guides...but it wasn't foulded enough to cause this miss....

gapped them all....

Don't know if injectors are clean. I just bought truck.

Thanks for response and ideas.

This is driving me nutz, as I like the truck a lot, but driving with an almost constant miss does make for a lousy experience...and gas mileage.

What is a good inj. cleaner I can dump in the gas?...or is there a better way?

Thanks.

elgoatropo
07-05-2006, 19:48
My truck has throttle body injection, so I am not familiar with the cleaners on the market these days.

You might try installing the #8 plug 90 or 180 degrees out of phase from its usual orientation by using a lighter torque. A knowledgeable mechanic friend of mine uses that trick when fouling is a problem. I think the idea is to keep the electrode from getting between the fuel and the spark.

manonmars
07-05-2006, 20:49
Originally posted by elgoatropo

You might try installing the #8 plug 90 or 180 degrees out of phase from its usual orientation by using a lighter torque. A knowledgeable mechanic friend of mine uses that trick when fouling is a problem. I think the idea is to keep the electrode from getting between the fuel and the spark.

HUH?

I have no idea what you mean.

Can you explain this?

Thanks.

elgoatropo
07-05-2006, 21:13
Depending on the design of the head, there is an optimum rotational position for the tang of the plug to be in. You can vary this by varying the torque on the spark plug or using a fatter washer.

manonmars
07-05-2006, 21:26
OK thanks.

I now understand.

Thanks for help.

CW

OUSooner
07-06-2006, 16:57
Have you had the timing checked? Maybe it's off.

Geeorge
07-09-2006, 01:35
Go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com and ask the pro's over there.They be smart fellers;)

JC26
07-10-2006, 12:17
You might try Googling DakotaUsa.com or the DML(Dakota Mailing List). A strong possibility is your belly pan gasket. You can probably tell by opening the throttle body and shining a flashlight down the throat. If you see a puddle of oil, your belly pan gasket is blown. Relatively easy fix.

HTH,

jc

manonmars
07-31-2006, 20:04
Thanks for everyones ideas.

I tried a few with no positive results.

The dealer now owns this vehicle again, and my atty. is getting richer........................

Thanks again.

spober
08-15-2006, 13:38
try higher, octain fuel hi test 92 oct!da huh.my 98 club cab 3.9 v6 4x4 5 speed has 143,000 miles any perrrrs like a kitten.basicly a 318 with the 2 forward pistons deleted.no hi rpm barnburner but for off road low rpm touque shes plenty powerful!in lw range in 1 st gear i can just let the trck walk(1 mph)without stall!thats aint bad.