UFC 61 results [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : UFC 61 results

gr81disp
07-09-2006, 07:17
Format:

Favored fighter v. Underdog - Winner Round Method

Methods: Sub-submission, TKO-Referee stoppage, KO-Knockout, Doc-Doctor stoppage, UD-Unanimous Decision, SD-split decision, MD-majority decision

Results and comments where necessary:

Non-Televised:

Drew Fickett v. Kurt Pellegrino - Fickett RD3 Sub.

Gilbert Aldana v. Cheick Kongo - Kongo RD1 Doc
This fight wasn't televised, but it was an upset.

Jeff Monson v. Anthony Perosh - Monson RD1 TKO
I hate that Monson won, but I enjoy the idea of him being destroyed by the Sylvia/Arlovski winner.

Hermes Franca v. Joe Jordan - Franca RD3 Sub
No surprise, it is good to see Franca back in the UFC. They showed the finish as it was the Sub of the night and Franca had a sweet mounted triangle.

Undercard:

Yves Edwards v. Joe Stevenson - Stevenson RD2 Doc
Stevenson looked tentative the first round and was really rocked badly towards the end but recovered. The second round, he came out, got the takedown and never looked back. He pounded on Edwards, cutting him open bad enough that there were puddles of blood on the mat. Although they checked Edwards and let him keep going the rest of the round, they couldn't stop the bleeding between rounds.

Frank Mir v. Dan Christison - Mir RD3 UD
This was really disappointing. Mir's conditioning was horrible and he didn't try to finish the fight until the third when he was already gassed. I was so disappointed.

Tito Ortiz v. Ken Shamrock - Ortiz RD1 TKO
This was a premature stoppage. Shamrock STARTED to take damage and referee Herb Dean stepped in to stop it.

*****HUGE ANNOUCEMENT*****
Dana White announced that if Chuck Liddell beats Sobral in August, his opponent in November will be PRIDE Middleweight Champion, Wanderlei Silva. I was literally jumping up and down. This is a dream matchup, two of the most DOMINANT Light-Heavyweights in the history of the sport colliding in an all out war. Go Chuck!

Josh Neer v. Josh Burkman - Burkman RD3 UD
Entertaining close fight.

Main Event:

UFC World Heavyweight Championship

(Champion) Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia (23W-2L-0D)

vs.

(Challenger) Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski (9W-4L-0D)

First off, I WAS RIGHT!!! HAHA!!! In a 5 round standup war, Sylvia managed to prove all the critics wrong, again, besting the Belarussian to retain his Heavyweight title. This was a somewhat boring fight, because both fighters were shy about engaging, but Sylvia was only stumbled once or twice while he rocked Arlovski about four times throughout the bout. Sylvia record improves to 24-2 while Arlovski's falls to 9-5.

Sylvia RD5 UD (48-47 49-46 48-47)

agalb
07-09-2006, 10:45
UFC 61 was a huge suckfest. I KNEW that Ortiz would win in the first, but holy crap that was fast. I hated that it ended so fast but after watching the DVR replay a few times I understand why it was stopped. (Not agreeing with the stoppage, just understand why it was stopped.)

The fight I was exited about, Arlovski/Sylvia, was one of the most boring UFC fights I have ever seen. It was literally a 25 minute boxing match.

The Stevenson fight was the best one, at least someone was bleeding. I have never seen that much blood in a UFC fight.

$tinger
07-19-2006, 23:35
Herb Dean is a wuss.

agalb
07-20-2006, 14:40
Originally posted by $tinger
Herb Dean is a wuss.

+1, I used to spar with him. I pounded him into the mat more times than I can remember...

Not!