Coyotes won today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes won today...

BlackBelt
07-13-2006, 17:12
Excellent morning in south-central Tennessee for coyotes. Trying to thin their numbers off my lease land, and the local farmer offered me $15 apiece for each one killed next to or on his land. Called up a couple of dogs, but they were pretty wary, and they made it back home alive. Couldn't quite coax them into range. They were interested in those 'distressed puppy' sounds, as well as a whole bunch of crows that came to see the action. But in the end, I went home with no pelts in the truck.
Still, any day in the woods is better than a great day at work!
There's always next week...

gruntmedik
07-14-2006, 09:49
I'd love to give coyotes a try sometime. Better luck next time.

noway
07-14-2006, 09:58
Have you ever tried to trap them with a snare or leghold trap?

BlackBelt
07-14-2006, 20:45
Originally posted by noway
Have you ever tried to trap them with a snare or leghold trap?
------------
Haven't tried trapping them, but I have a blast calling them in and putting the AR-15 to use.
The guy that went with me yesterday called me this morning all excited and was asking 'when can we go again?'. I figured that he was going to never want to coyote hunt again since it was HOT and MUGGY outside. The kind of humid hot that makes it where you can't take a deep breath, and your clothes are all wet with sweat and sticking to you. And then there's the ticks and spiders crawling up your back. But he was all about getting back out there and giving it another try.
Cool. Another predator hunter is born...
I used to run traplines years ago, but work schedules don't let me come back and run them the next day, which is required by TN state game laws.