CRAP! I need a new car. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CRAP! I need a new car.

epsylum
07-15-2006, 15:08
Thanks to a girl that just HAD to run a red light, my 05 Corolla XRS (aka the best damn car I have ever owned) is about foot shorter in the front.

I was perfectly fine. Her, not so much. They had to cut the roof off the car with the jaws of life and took her away on a stretcher.

So, not by choice, I need a new car. I love the XRS and if nothing peaks my interest, I will try to get another one.

I know that gas is expensive and is only going to get worse, so plannig for the future I want something pretty economical. I do not want a hybrid, if for no other reason than they are not a proven platform for long term durability. Plus those batteries will be EXPENSIVE when they need to be replaced.

BTW I cannot spend more than I had before ($16,000).

My thoughts for cars other than another Corolla XRS:

Toyota Corolla (non-XRS) - Does not require premium gas like my XRS did, gets 40mpg (opposed to 25-28), a platform that I already know I like and fit in.

Toyota Yaris - again, 40mpg.

Honda Civic - everybody pretty much knows what these are, I would like a new Si, but doubt I can afford it.

A used RSX Type-S

VW TDI, either Golf or Jetta - Almost 50mpg from what hear form owners, and the diesel is sure to last pretty long. Decent torque.

Any others? I don't do American cars any more. Even Ford and they were my last hold out (I would love a Mustang GT, but I can't afford the gas). I am picky about the euro cars. In my price range, I think VW is the only one I like.

also no SUVs. I am open to wagons though. Hmmmm Subaru WRX wagon...... :cool:

Thanks.

Norman
07-15-2006, 17:54
That sucks...

good luck on the new car.

jungle
07-15-2006, 18:50
Stick with the Japanese, the VW engines are great but the rest of the car will drive you crazy with poor quality control.

epsylum
07-15-2006, 19:59
Originally posted by jungle
Stick with the Japanese, the VW engines are great but the rest of the car will drive you crazy with poor quality control.

I just wish Toyota made a diesel. Instead they keep screwing with the whole hybrid craze.

itisbruno
07-15-2006, 20:09
I wish more companies would offer diesel cars too. I hesistate buying a VW for the reasons jungle pointed out.

I've had both corollas and civics, and don't think you can go wrong with either. Pick the one you like the design of the most. I'm driving a civic now with 140,000 miles, still drives like new.

There is a dealer in the midwest that sells toyota's and honda's who offers a 100,000 mile drive train wnty on them to comepte with the korean stuff, but with honda and toyota, you won't need it.

Sorry to hear about the car, but it can be replaced, glad you came out of it ok.

Rob1035
07-15-2006, 20:24
I'm glad you're ok as well...

you could easily do the previous generation Civic Si (space shuttle looking one) for $16k, but I doubt that would be as fun as the Corolla. Hell, as much as you liked that car, I'd try and get another!

SIGSAREBETTER
07-15-2006, 20:40
If you won't get a Focus, stick with the Corolla. I had an '04 CE for a rental car......damn thing even at that trim level is a mini-Lexus and nothing like an economy car.

epsylum
07-15-2006, 21:30
Originally posted by itisbruno
There is a dealer in the midwest that sells toyota's and honda's who offers a 100,000 mile drive train wnty on them to comepte with the korean stuff, but with honda and toyota, you won't need it.

That is a Toyota extended warranty and I had it. I got it becuase if you didn't use it, they refunded your money and it was only like 4 or 5 bucks a month more for it.

It's going to be a while before I find out what all I am getting out of my insurance company and what the situation on the loan for the wrecked car will be. I am hoping that since my loan is through Toyota Financial that if I get another Toyota they will just switch out the difference on the loan so I am not forced to pay a bunch of interest an a wrecked car. But, that sounds like it makes too much sense, so I doubt that will happen.

Another Corolla is definatly on the list. I wonder how much a new I-4 Camry is? They do look pretty cool.

Glock&Schpeel
07-15-2006, 22:12
Where are you located? You could buy my 05 Taurus for 10 grand. Great mileage - good reliability - excellent crasher (safe) - not too bad looking. A hell of a value. Even if you don't buy mine, these cars are generally cheap because Ford craps these out in their sleep and there are always way too many for sale a year later.

Only 25 k miles - warranty till 1/08.

I like some of the Japanese cars (my other car is an Acura) but they cost a lot more used and Toyota seriously let me down with an 05 Sienna I bought a year ago. Never again. What a piece of @#$% . . at least the AWD version.

:soap:

epsylum
07-15-2006, 23:04
Originally posted by Glock&Schpeel
Where are you located? You could buy my 05 Taurus for 10 grand. Great mileage - good reliability - excellent crasher (safe) - not too bad looking. A hell of a value. Even if you don't buy mine, these cars are generally cheap because Ford craps these out in their sleep and there are always way too many for sale a year later.

Only 25 k miles - warranty till 1/08.

I like some of the Japanese cars (my other car is an Acura) but they cost a lot more used and Toyota seriously let me down with an 05 Sienna I bought a year ago. Never again. What a piece of @#$% . . at least the AWD version.

Sorry, but my brother's girlfriend has an 03 Taurus. POS. My parents have a loaded 03 Sable (Taurus with leather ;) ) and it is falling apart.

No American cars.

Glock&Schpeel
07-16-2006, 00:32
Then look for a used Accord. It's a better value than a used Civic. The Civic's are tough .. . they hold their value to the point where you're much better off buying a new one. It's stupid, some of the prices I've seen on used Civics. Accords are a lot easier. Probably the same for the Maxima. I'd say Camry too but I'm done with the "T" word.

Norman
07-16-2006, 08:28
Well, the new I-4 Camry (IOW, the 2007) is out of your price range of $16,000, but I'm willing to bet you could get into a 2006 Camry for $16,000

It'd be a step up from the Corolla. They're great, comfy, gas efficient cars.

gixxer11
07-17-2006, 10:06
Well, I think you should look for a nice clean Lexus IS300. An '02-3 can be found in the 16k range. I'd rather have one of those with 999k mi on it than a brand new Yaris, that's for DAMN sure! BTW, our "Toyota mechanic friends" think so too. The thought of someone your size in a Yaris is effin hilarious!!! I love ya bro, that's why I'm trying to help!

fnfalman
07-17-2006, 12:56
May I suggest a BMW? Although you need to raise the price ceiling to $19K. Friends don't let friends cage.:supergrin: Room for the missus, panniers for grocery and shopping, speed to make Viper owners cry.:motorcycle:

http://www.bmwmcc.co.uk/northern/K1200GT-BMW-Press-photo.jpg

epsylum
07-17-2006, 15:57
I have turned my mind off to the new car thing for a while. According to the lawyer, state law is not on my side. Basically, if it can be fixed that is all the insurance company needs to do. But I did get to mandate that the car be fixed with only new OEM parts, no aftermarket and no used parts if the insurance company chooses to fix it. Unfortunately, they do not owe me any money for the difference in value between one with no history of a wreck and one that had a head on collision. That is the part that sucks. I chose the only new OEM parts to A. make it as close to right as possible if they choose the repair route, and B. to make it as expensive as possible hoping they might total it.

BTW Gixxer11, I will drive a friggin Smart car if I want. At least I don't want an xB :puking: I would rather look like I was driving a clown car than the cube that will no longer be cool in 5 years and no one will want to be seen in (it's the Vanilla Ice of the car world). That is one car that makes an Aztek look good and that isn't easy to do.

fnfalman, do those come with snow chains, because I will need them here in Indy. ;)

fnfalman
07-17-2006, 17:36
Originally posted by epsylum

fnfalman, do those come with snow chains, because I will need them here in Indy. ;)

BMW is featuring traction control (ASC as in their cages) for the newly introduced R1200R, I'm sure the K1200GT is next.:supergrin:

epsylum
07-18-2006, 17:22
Originally posted by fnfalman
BMW is featuring traction control (ASC as in their cages) for the newly introduced R1200R, I'm sure the K1200GT is next.:supergrin:

Even with traction control, I bet in the winter months I will need one of these to get around.

:supergrin:

http://www.roadracerx.com/images/RoadRacerHead/v2_12/ice_racing_thumb.jpg

epsylum
07-18-2006, 17:31
The body shop called. They still are not done with the estimation (they just found out my sunroof is screwed) and they are already over $12,000 in damages.

I am thinking that it is totaled (what I thought after the wreck), but the insurance company may decide to fix it even if it is only a grand less than blue book.

I think though that if it is totaled, I will just go with a plain jane 5-speed Corolla or an older I4 Camry.

This was my first car that I picked out and bought for myself because it was something I wanted. I had it all of 8 months and someone has to go and ruin it for me. I am now of the mindset that it is not worth haveing a car that is special (to you or anyone else) because someone will just ruin it.

I can spend money on guns as I have control over who they get exposed to. Not so with a vehicle. They are out for any moron to wreck into, scratch, bash with a car door, etc. So at this point it is a "why bother" kind of thing. I am looking at just good economical transportation at this point. Nothing fancy or special. The plain vanilla Corolla was made to fill this role and it does it well.

The days of me having a "cool car" (at least in my opinion) are over.

fnfalman
07-18-2006, 18:15
The days of me having a "cool car" (at least in my opinion) are over.

I'm with you, brother.

gixxer11
07-19-2006, 07:50
Yep, I hear ya too ep. My Z and my CB1000F come to mind. Hell somebody SAT on my hood of my truck 1 month after I got it and the Cougar was backed into by some drunk ****** THE DAY AFTER IT WAS REPAIRED from trhe first wreck! It's very depressing to think about. It would be nice if the laws didn't piss on the victim. Pay the 'rolla off and get a dependable car no more than $4k. Drive it untill it dies, get a new one, repeat. I hope that idiot that caused the accident is in SERIOUS pain. I'll miss your car if you don't get it back. It's a real shame.

Screehopper
07-20-2006, 01:26
I just wish Toyota made a diesel. Instead they keep screwing with the whole hybrid craze.

Toyota does make diesels. Just not for us in the States. Almost every single Toyota Hilux (Tacoma), Surf (4Runner) that I saw in New Zealand and Australia were diesel.

epsylum
07-20-2006, 15:48
Originally posted by Screehopper
Toyota does make diesels. Just not for us in the States. Almost every single Toyota Hilux (Tacoma), Surf (4Runner) that I saw in New Zealand and Australia were diesel.

I meant to say sell them here. Almost every car company makes diesels in other countries, but not here.

BTW I found out today that the car is in fact totaled. Not sure what the insurance company has planned in terms of a payment and such, but I will never see that car again.

epsylum
07-21-2006, 16:23
So far my insurance company hasn't tried to screw me yet. They valued my car at over $3000 more than I bought it for (they said almost $20,000 when I paid only a bit over $16,000), so I am pretty happy. They are also cutting me a check for $1000 for not using the rental car money that my policy had (down payment on a new car for me) without me even having to ask. They are currently trying to see what they can get from the other parties insurance companies before they make me an offer. I might actually come out of this okay financially.

In the mean time, I think I will buy my brother's buddie's VW Jetta (not sure the year, but it is a mid 90's model) as my brother wants to buy it from me later.

spober
08-01-2006, 18:16
I have turned my mind off to the new car thing for a while. According to the lawyer, state law is not on my side. Basically, if it can be fixed that is all the insurance company needs to do. But I did get to mandate that the car be fixed with only new OEM parts, no aftermarket and no used parts if the insurance company chooses to fix it. Unfortunately, they do not owe me any money for the difference in value between one with no history of a wreck and one that had a head on collision. That is the part that sucks. I chose the only new OEM parts to A. make it as close to right as possible if they choose the repair route, and B. to make it as expensive as possible hoping they might total it.

BTW Gixxer11, I will drive a friggin Smart car if I want. At least I don't want an xB :puking: I would rather look like I was driving a clown car than the cube that will no longer be cool in 5 years and no one will want to be seen in (it's the Vanilla Ice of the car world). That is one car that makes an Aztek look good and that isn't easy to do.

fnfalman, do those come with snow chains, because I will need them here in Indy. ;) i was going to say.your screwed.unless you got gap insurance youll pay about 2 grand or more for a comprable car.i doubt they will ttoal it.even if its 7-8 grand to fix thats cheaper than new!your screwed!

amd4me
08-02-2006, 12:51
Dude , get a TDI , they are AWESOME.
They have only 90 horses but have 200+ lbft of torque.
So you will always be able to pass cars and climb steep hills.
And you can do rolling smokey burnouts in them.
Atleast you could in the 99 Beetle TDI tha I drove for a summer.

And about the I4 camry , get the V6 because that car is too heavy for the 4 banger and you will be on the gas all the time.
If you take it easy on the V6 it will last longer and give better fuel economy.