30 days until commissioning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 30 days until commissioning

et2mdo
07-15-2006, 18:58
You are (un)officially invited to attend the commissioning ceremony of Mr. et2mdo on 14 AUG 2006 at 1000.

Mr. et2mdo is a prior enlisted nuke ET2, and is soon to finish a B.A. in Chemistry. After being commissioned as an Ensign in the United States Navy, Mr. et2mdo will be stationed on the USS OSCAR AUSTIN (DDG-79) in Norfolk, VA.

KIDCOP
07-15-2006, 22:28
Congrats. I wish I could shake your hand and give you a salute, but thats a long ways to travel.

Bilbo Baggins
07-19-2006, 12:38
A hearty Congrats, most of the LDO's or prior enlisted officers I delt with in my time were good leaders. guess being on both sides gives you a bit of perspective.

DennisH
07-20-2006, 18:51
A "B.A." in Chemistry? Mine was a "B.S." (probably meant it was Bull *****)! At any rate, congrats on your pending commission. When I was a ship CO I placed a special premium on Mustang officers. Carry on that tradition, and above all, just take care of the troops, especially the deck force. And be a squeaky wheel with the CO to get all the shiphandling time you can, because if you don't, all the Academy Ring-Knockers will be there in your place. And while some of my friends were Ring-Knockers, I always had the greatest respect for those of you who came up through the ranks.
Sail Safe!

Tacnaidayu
07-22-2006, 15:29
Originally posted by et2mdo
You are (un)officially invited to attend the commissioning ceremony of Mr. et2mdo on 14 AUG 2006 at 1000.

Mr. et2mdo is a prior enlisted nuke ET2, and is soon to finish a B.A. in Chemistry. After being commissioned as an Ensign in the United States Navy, Mr. et2mdo will be station on the USS Oscar Austin (DDG-79) in Norfolk, VA. Ditto on the B.A. in Chemistry. Will be station? Also, names of ships are written in CAPS like in USS OSCAR AUSTIN (DDG 79).

don51181
07-23-2006, 10:05
Congrats. So you did the STA 21 program?

et2mdo
07-28-2006, 10:26
B.A. is correct. A B.S. at my university requires a few more math classes and a physical inorganic chemistry course and lab. I chose B.A. because it allowed me to get my degree one semester faster.

I am now only a little over 2 weeks out. I have to say that I am getting pretty anxious. I'm definitely looking forward to putting the chemistry books out of sight for a while (especially organic chemistry). Right now, it's looking like I will be the ship's electrical officer and legal officer.

DennisH- Thanks for the advice.

don51181- Yes, I am about to finish the STA 21 program (which, by the way, is by far the best deal in the Navy).

Navy87Guy
08-05-2006, 19:11
Congrats -- STA 21 is a great program.

OSCAR AUSTIN is in the yards right now...but don't let that get you down. Hit the deck plates running and you'll do fine. Your CO is a great guy -- you're going to enjoy it.

Another piece of admin advice: ship's numbers don't have a "dash" in them. It's DDG 79, not DDG-79. Some of us are anal about it!

Have fun!

Jim

Boats2006
08-09-2006, 08:03
Congratulations on your graduation. DennisH and Navy87Guy have some super advice - nothing I can add tops it. Good Luck.

FlyNavy
08-13-2006, 22:48
Congrats on surviving the intentionally painful and tedious sta21 program. You've proven that you wanted those bars.

Enjoy the Oscar Austin...the first boat with an "up the butt with a twist" helo landing approach. Good times at night!