Huyndai OR Kia? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Huyndai OR Kia?

betyourlife
07-15-2006, 21:11
So I am looking to get a brand spankin' new car. I may get a used one from a dealer if the mileage and price are right, BUT. here is my concern.

I have had bad luck with anything but Japanese cars. My Japanese cars have never left me stranded.

BUT I figure that a new car with a warranty can't be that bad. The Kia seems like less cost, but the Huyndai seems to have a better reputaion, right?

I like the looks of the Huyndai better too. So who makes these cheap cars and which brand do you recommend?

SIGSAREBETTER
07-15-2006, 21:31
Hyundai owns Kia. The former is marketed as more "upmarket", the latter positioned as more of a value brand. Both make EXCELLENT cars....I have an '02 Kia Spectra and it's been great, and that's not even as nice as the new breed of Koreans they have. For the money, I think both the Rio and Spectra are the best values of the bunch depending on which tickles your fancy.

aaronrkelly
07-15-2006, 22:05
I have a 2002 Kia Rio that has also been great.

My first bit o' advise - BUY USED. I have owned me car since 2004 so when I bought it was 2 years old. It had 24K miles on it. I paid $3500 cash. It was a 4cyl, 5spd base model with air and cd player. When you buy used you dont get the 10yr/100k warranty (unless previous owner was family) but the resale value on these are NIL so it was worth it in my case. I still got the 7yr/60k warranty so my balance left was 5 years and 35k warranty. I paid $3500 for something and still had the same warranty as I would have had with a new Chevy product.

How do I like the car - great. Its underpowered compared to other cars I have driven but I had to expect that. One time when mine was in the shop I got an 04 Rio with an automatic and it was WAY more underpowered then mine with the 5 spd. I have also heard of troubles with their automatic transmissions but I cant confirm that.

I purcahsed my car from a private party and have had all the warranty work done at Kia of Des Moines (in Iowa). Every time Im there they treat me great, give me a loaner car and when they were out of loaner cars they sent me to Enterprise to rent something on their dime.

Repair work done to my car was done in very timely fashion. Recall work here and there. The only serious problem was the transmission (manual) was replaced. That took about 2 weeks as the transmission literally needed to be "boated" over from Korea.

Why did my transmission need replaced???? Well, when changing the oil I noticed the seal around the shift linkage was collecting road dirt. Wasnt outright leaking but was staying "wet". I mention it to them and took it in. They looked it over and spoke to a senior technician about it. Seems they need to take the entire transmission apart to replace that seal. They had never done it before and were not confident that they could do the service trouble free. The solution to them was to replace the entire transmission. Seeing as this is a major portion of my car they were replacing for a minor problem I didnt complain. I left a note to have them call me if the clutch showed any excessive wear and needed replaced. They said it was fine, no reason to replace it.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another KIA product......

Meanwhile my friend bought a 2003 Chevy Cavalier......his seat broke, his mirror fell off etc - everytime he brings the car in they hassle him, try to deny the repairs etc. He is not impressed - he regrets spending $15K with that Chevy dealer and wishes he would have bought a KIA.

EDIT: Oh one more KIA service story. My car had these excessively pimp, chrome plated 16" racing wheels and ultra low profile tires on it. There was a shimmy in the car that I couldnt track down. I had the wheels taken off and balanced, front end aligned etc......couldnt figure it out. Took the car to KIA. They put it up on the hoist, took the wheels off it and checked everything out. They then took the wheels off a car on the lot (factory wheels) and put them on my car and had me drive it. Problem solved, there was something happening with my bling bling wheels causing the shimmy.

This whole thing took them something in the neihborhood of two hours by the time my car was setting back out front. I really expected, and deserved, to be charged shop rate for two hours. The defect sure as heck wasnt their fault. I asked for my bill, there isnt one.....no charge. Huh? Yeah no big deal, dont worry about it was their reply. Impressive.

betyourlife
07-16-2006, 08:37
Originally posted by aaronrkelly
I have a 2002 Kia Rio that has also been great.

My first bit o' advise - BUY USED. I have owned me car since 2004 so when I bought it was 2 years old. It had 24K miles on it. I paid $3500 cash. It was a 4cyl, 5spd base model with air and cd player. When you buy used you dont get the 10yr/100k warranty (unless previous owner was family) but the resale value on these are NIL so it was worth it in my case. I still got the 7yr/60k warranty so my balance left was 5 years and 35k warranty. I paid $3500 for something and still had the same warranty as I would have had with a new Chevy product.

How do I like the car - great. Its underpowered compared to other cars I have driven but I had to expect that. One time when mine was in the shop I got an 04 Rio with an automatic and it was WAY more underpowered then mine with the 5 spd. I have also heard of troubles with their automatic transmissions but I cant confirm that.

I purcahsed my car from a private party and have had all the warranty work done at Kia of Des Moines (in Iowa). Every time Im there they treat me great, give me a loaner car and when they were out of loaner cars they sent me to Enterprise to rent something on their dime.

Repair work done to my car was done in very timely fashion. Recall work here and there. The only serious problem was the transmission (manual) was replaced. That took about 2 weeks as the transmission literally needed to be "boated" over from Korea.

Why did my transmission need replaced???? Well, when changing the oil I noticed the seal around the shift linkage was collecting road dirt. Wasnt outright leaking but was staying "wet". I mention it to them and took it in. They looked it over and spoke to a senior technician about it. Seems they need to take the entire transmission apart to replace that seal. They had never done it before and were not confident that they could do the service trouble free. The solution to them was to replace the entire transmission. Seeing as this is a major portion of my car they were replacing for a minor problem I didnt complain. I left a note to have them call me if the clutch showed any excessive wear and needed replaced. They said it was fine, no reason to replace it.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another KIA product......

Meanwhile my friend bought a 2003 Chevy Cavalier......his seat broke, his mirror fell off etc - everytime he brings the car in they hassle him, try to deny the repairs etc. He is not impressed - he regrets spending $15K with that Chevy dealer and wishes he would have bought a KIA.

EDIT: Oh one more KIA service story. My car had these excessively pimp, chrome plated 16" racing wheels and ultra low profile tires on it. There was a shimmy in the car that I couldnt track down. I had the wheels taken off and balanced, front end aligned etc......couldnt figure it out. Took the car to KIA. They put it up on the hoist, took the wheels off it and checked everything out. They then took the wheels off a car on the lot (factory wheels) and put them on my car and had me drive it. Problem solved, there was something happening with my bling bling wheels causing the shimmy.

This whole thing took them something in the neihborhood of two hours by the time my car was setting back out front. I really expected, and deserved, to be charged shop rate for two hours. The defect sure as heck wasnt their fault. I asked for my bill, there isnt one.....no charge. Huh? Yeah no big deal, dont worry about it was their reply. Impressive.

Wow. That was very helpful, thank you for taking the time to write that. FWIW, I sold cars at a Chevy dealereship and I wouldn't whish them on my worst enemy...

ETA:

I didn't work there long...

Rinspeed
07-20-2006, 07:54
Just my opinion but I think both are junk. I don't care if they have a lifetime warranty I wouldn't spend my money on one. Buy a used Honda or Toyota. Again just my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people that are happy with their Kia.

ShipWreck
07-20-2006, 09:30
If I HAD to have 1 of those two, I'd get the Hyundai - better resale value, but not by much.

FYI - some dealers and used car places will not take a Kia or Hyundai - even on a tradein. I know a used car guy, and his place won't deal in them. And, when I bought my Toyota, I didn't doa trade in. But, I was told by the dealership that they won't take them on tradeins...

Go buy a Toyota Corolla - hell, in a big city,like Houston, they are cheap. 41 MPG too!

DaisyCutter
07-26-2006, 13:54
I commute with a 2005 KIA Spectra. It hauls butt with a 5-speed and cost about $8K less than a Sentra, Corolla, or Civic.

FWIW, it has 4-wheel disk brakes, 4-wheel independent suspension, and 6 airbags.

The Sentra, Corolla, and Civic didn't offer that combination (standard) in 2005. Some had some of the features, but none had all of 'em.

FWIW, the KIA had marginally more horsepower and more space too.

Lastly, I chose the car based on it's merits and how it compared to the competition. I could've chosen to be ripped-off on the others if I wanted. I didn't have to "settle" for a KIA.

My weekend driver is a 2003 DODGE RAM (http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/2678265/5348258/170187680.jpg) and assorted toys. The KIA is an excellent commuter that cost me $10K brand new OTD, after I traded in a trashed '97 Sentra with 170,000 miles (the Sentra was a good car too).

The KIA was simply the best value.

jolly roger
07-29-2006, 11:50
After years of being VERY skeptical of Hyundais, and in the need for a decent sedan, I bought a 2007 Sonata last week. I do believe the Koreans might have things dialed in now. Plenty of power with the V6 and smooth. They certainly will give GM and Ford fits, if not the Japanese in a few more years. This thing made a Chevy Malibu we tested feel like a rolling tin can. Crash tests are very good now also.

For the same money as a 4 cylinder Camry or Accord you can get it loaded very nicely. Also, it's the first sedan they have made that did not look like a wannabe Jaguar. Further, it's made in the US...yeah yeah I know the money "goes overseas". Face facts, the globalization of the car industry is a done deal. It really does not matter anymore. Anyway, I'm happy and time will tell..