My homemade blind... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My homemade blind...

StockGlock23
07-17-2006, 18:45
I was looking through my stack of Fall/hunting catalogs and keep drooling to get a blind to set out on the food plots I am planting for this coming fall, and I had that thought most handy/cheap people think. "I could build one of those for less." Well I set out to prove that to myself. I started out with a basic premise of using 1/2" PVC pipe to construct a frame. I did so 30" high by 44" long, in a triangle shape. After realizing 3 posts were too flimsy I cut each 44" section in half and added a T-connector to add another vertical pole. Once that was accomplished I scrounged up some old camo fabric from a past ("I could build one of those for less.") projects. I sewed a sleeve in the top similar to what curtains have and threaded it onto the PVC. I cut notches in the fabric to allow the posts to come though and "voila!" Here is my blind. I am going to fasten the bottoms to the poles using Velcro that is glued to the poles and sewn onto the fabric. I will cut a few slots in the fabric to let wind blow through so it does not act like a kite in the wind. I used 18" dowel rods sharpened and hammered into the ground and slid into the PVC posts to hold the blind in place and it adds a considerable amount of stiffness to the blind as well. Total cost...

$2.58 for the dowels
$0.00 for everything else since it was all from another ("I could build one of those for less.") project.
$0.00 my time (even to me it is not worth a whole lot!)
and finally...
one day of my time (probably 4-5 hours total)

StockGlock23
07-17-2006, 18:46
frame outside with dowels holding it down.

StockGlock23
07-17-2006, 18:47
finished project without Velcro feature...

StockGlock23
07-17-2006, 18:47
Another angle...

noway
07-17-2006, 20:24
That's cool and cheap but probably just as good or better than any hunting catalog equal ;)

StockGlock23
07-17-2006, 20:48
Why thank you. I hope so. I will post results this fall for sure if it pans out.

sharpshooter
07-18-2006, 23:11
Cool. Now fill the pipes with deer urine, add a sprinker head or two, and pressurize the system and you're good to go.

StockGlock23
07-18-2006, 23:21
Originally posted by sharpshooter
Cool. Now fill the pipes with deer urine, add a sprinker head or two, and pressurize the system and you're good to go.

In theory that could be a great system...somehow I think that there are technical difficulties that I am not really willing to deal with.

noway
07-19-2006, 07:27
(long )

Are you planning on seating in that blind? Make sure you check it out in your backyard in the same way that you would use it in the field. Also carry whatever you will plan to use during the actual hunt and bring it into the blind. Do it in the rain/wind/snow or whatever enviroment you have in your locale.

In my experience captive blinds ( a box of some shape ) seems to be restrictive when hunting out of them. Not enough of room and to make them bigger would require more items and harder to carry in the field.

I'm 6'0" tall and with a field-seat, along w/ gun (shotgun/mzl'er/rifle), binoculars, water and a few others items & after 3 hours I feel like I'm in a F16 cockpit.

The cool thing with this blind setup vrs a full inclosed setup like a ameritsetp or double bull blind, you have a greater peripheral view. So you can catch game movement from a greater angle.

One thing you might want tod ( I even currently investigating doing the same borrowing from your style ;) ) is to make it an open "V" with a hing at the point of the V so you can carrying it in the field like a portable slab panel. When setting it up, you would put the open end of the V aganist a solid backing like a tree/rock/thick vegation. You could even use some parachute cord or similar items to secure it to the items and stakes in the ground if you have high winds which is common in my parts.

btw: I do the above currently with a 3 & 5 panel ameristep panel blinds they are cheap and easily fit in a backpack and weighs maybe 2-4lbs if I had to guess.

Now adays I have alot of tree branches and horizonal limbs blown down from 2 seasons of hurricanes, It's easy to construct a all natural ;) blind and trust me deer/squirrels/hogs/trukeys will walk right by you with no clue you are stuck in it. Only thing bad about it, it's not portable :frown:

So I drag brnaches to areas that I have animal tracks/scat/activity and build ambush sites. Every animals I killed almost last year was at one of my pre-fab ambush points with me going to it or already in it. If you start early & ahead of the season you could do these all natural blinds and the animals wouldn't be any wiser.

just a few friendly advice from noway ;)