One Keyless Entry Remote for Multiple Vehicles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : One Keyless Entry Remote for Multiple Vehicles?

Team Greenbaum
07-18-2006, 12:52
We have an '06 Mustang and an '05 Expedition. Is there a factory or aftermarket keyless entry remote that will control both vehicles?

js_gresham
07-18-2006, 13:00
I could be wrong, but I don't think the factory remotes are "married" to a specific vehicle, so you could theoretically get the dealer to program them both (if it is not a procedure that you know how to do) to respond to the same remotes.

If both vehicles were in the same reception range though you'd run the possibility of unlocking both of them, possibly unintentionally.

I do the same thing with my garage door opener. My remote activates different garage doors (in different locations, not all at my house).

Team Greenbaum
07-18-2006, 13:17
I know how to program a remote for a particular car, but I how do I program the same remote for both cars?

js_gresham
07-18-2006, 13:50
*At your own risk* :)

Just take the remote that you want to activate both vehicles to the car that it doesn't already control and run it through the programming procedure.

If it is like (for example) my garage door remote, it has what's called a "rolling code". the programming process tells the car which rolling codes are OK to respond to.

They're both fairly new Fords, right? so unless Ford has changed technology between the model years (not terribly likely, but not impossible, either), you should be able to do it.

If it DOESN'T work, worst case scenario you'll have to reprogram it for the original car. But I'd be willing to bet that it will work.

Team Greenbaum
07-18-2006, 14:09
I'll try it tonight...

js_gresham
07-18-2006, 18:49
one last thought that I don't think I made super clear...

This assumes that the factory remotes that came with both vehicles are identical.

If they aren't the probability of it not working increases exponentially.

Good luck!

Team Greenbaum
07-19-2006, 13:31
I couldn’t try it yet, my wife's out of town with the Expedition.

The remotes are identical except the icon on the blue button. The Expedition shows the back half of an SUV with the back window open, the Mustang shows a car with the trunk open.

Nicky D
07-22-2006, 22:41
I do not know how to do it, my installer set it up for my wife and I, but we have vipre alarms with remote start on my truck and her car. My installer set it up so that her fob and my fob works for both vehicles including starting the vehicles. It has to do with the amount of channels the fob can handle I think.

Lord
08-04-2006, 15:18
I want to be able to do this also. I have a Toyota 4Runner and a Toyota Tundra. They use the same type of remote. The problem is that there is one 'unlock' button and one 'lock' button. If I were to program a single remote to control both cars, then when I hit unlock, it would unlock them both.. and lock them both ....

I HATE having so many remotes on my keyring. I also have a garage door opener that i carry that is just like the keyless entry remotes. I've been searching EVERYWHERE for a solution that will do both cars and the garage door too... so if anyone finds one, your input will be most appreciated!!!

Nicky D
08-04-2006, 18:41
Originally posted by Lord
I want to be able to do this also. I have a Toyota 4Runner and a Toyota Tundra. They use the same type of remote. The problem is that there is one 'unlock' button and one 'lock' button. If I were to program a single remote to control both cars, then when I hit unlock, it would unlock them both.. and lock them both ....

I HATE having so many remotes on my keyring. I also have a garage door opener that i carry that is just like the keyless entry remotes. I've been searching EVERYWHERE for a solution that will do both cars and the garage door too... so if anyone finds one, your input will be most appreciated!!!

My wife's fob is set that the "LOCK" button does both, lock & unlock. Her auxillary button locks and unlocks my truck doors. So you could set it up to have your "LOCK" button open and close your truck doors and then have the "UNLOCK" button do the same for the other vehicle. This should work for you.

Lord
08-04-2006, 19:07
good idea... one button per vehicle.

My garage door opener has 3 buttons on it. One, of course, opens and closes the garage door. Now I need to figure out how to make the other two buttons control as you describe... but I can't find programming instructions anywhere.

Team Greenbaum
02-16-2007, 05:21
It worked!

I bought a new remote and while I was going through the programming procedure I discovered (accidentally) that a single remote will work on both vehicles.

However . . . After completing the programming for all 6 remotes, twice, I immediately discovered the flaw in my plan. Both cars are parked in the garage so it doesn’t matter if I or my wife inadvertently un/lock the other vehicle. But it does matter if we inadvertently open the other trunk/back window. Now every time I get something out of the trunk I have to also close the back window of the Expedition...
:sad:

Nicky D
02-16-2007, 06:09
Originally posted by Scottbert
It worked!

I bought a new remote and while I was going through the programming procedure I discovered (accidentally) that a single remote will work on both vehicles.

However . . . After completing the programming for all 6 remotes, twice, I immediately discovered the flaw in my plan. Both cars are parked in the garage so it doesn’t matter if I or my wife inadvertently un/lock the other vehicle. But it does matter if we inadvertently open the other trunk/back window. Now every time I get something out of the trunk I have to also close the back window of the Expedition...

That was an issue that I did not have to worry about since my Durango's window does not open up. Congrats on getting everything set up, but I just have to say, 6 remotes :shocked: What are the the six for, just in case or that many drivers in the house!

Team Greenbaum
02-17-2007, 15:55
Originally posted by Nicky D
That was an issue that I did not have to worry about since my Durango's window does not open up. Congrats on getting everything set up, but I just have to say, 6 remotes :shocked: What are the the six for, just in case or that many drivers in the house!

I have one for each car, my wife has one for each car and we have a spare for each car.

Gibbles
03-02-2007, 22:00
It worked!

LoL, I was reading this and wondering, how is he going to handle both cars being unlocked when he leaves, I just figured you would open the door on the car you’re getting into and hit the lock again to relock the other car. (Sounds to annoying for me) My wife and I have "our" cars, I have the remote for mine and she has the remote for hers, if I want to get into hers I just use a key, mine has the remote, and reverse that for her. :thumbsup:
And my suv has the "homelink" I can program 3 different devices and I have 3 different buttons on the roof console.

CMH
03-04-2007, 08:43
The Department I work for has just taken delivery of 2 new Ford Expedition Patrol Vehicles. Both have had the Astro Start romote system installed in them. We have several key fobs and each one of them will unlock/lock and start both vehicles. This system costs about $350 to have installed in each vehicle.

Team Greenbaum
03-04-2007, 08:51
Originally posted by CMH
The Department I work for has just taken delivery of 2 new Ford Expedition Patrol Vehicles. Both have had the Astro Start romote system installed in them. We have several key fobs and each one of them will unlock/lock and start both vehicles. This system costs about $350 to have installed in each vehicle.
Interesting! Does the key fob have separate buttons for each vehicle or does it have 1 set of buttons that works both vehicles?

CMH
03-04-2007, 09:02
Interesting! Does the key fob have separate buttons for each vehicle or does it have 1 set of buttons that works both vehicles?

It has one set of buttons--you have to press a certain buttom either one time or two times for the systems to recognize commands.