Threads being marked as read [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Threads being marked as read

AmnChode
07-21-2006, 10:25
I have noticed that while I am browsing the threads here, that after awhile some of the unread threads will be marked. This would normally not bother me so much, but with as many posts that there are here on a daily basis, combined with how long some of them can become, it gets to be kind of a pain to keep track of what you have read, what you haven't, and what is new.

Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I appologize if this has been brought up before. Is there a "timeout" setting that I have not found yet or is this a server set time that mesgs are being marked read?

Thanx in advance

DJ Niner
07-21-2006, 23:42
This doesn't happen with everyone, but I run into it during my browsing, too. I've found (in my case, at least) if I don't post, move to another forum, or do SOMETHING that requires a response from GTs server every 10-15 minutes or so, then it automatically logs me off. The next time I post/move/whatever, it logs me back in, but it treats me like I voluntarily left GT and then came back later, so all the posts are marked as read from the time I left. When you first log on to GT, make a note of the time you logged in (shown on the main forum page); if threads get marked as read, go back to the main page and see if the log-in time has changed. If so, that is what has happened.

It's really only a problem for me under a couple of circumstances:

1. I go to the bathroom, fix a meal, or something similar while logged in, and take too long.

2. I open another window to check out a link someone has posted, and I get distracted and stay too long.

3. I begin reading a really long post and several really long responses, and take too long getting to page 2 or back to the main page.

In any case, I don't know of a "setting" that can change/fix this; but if anyone else does, I'm eager to hear it, too.

Hope this was helpful.

AmnChode
07-22-2006, 17:42
I'll take note of that and see if that is occuring...

*edit*

yep...checked it just now and bingo, right on the money:

Welcome back, AmnChode
The time now is 06:40 PM
You last visited: 07-21-2006 05:46 PM.

Welcome back, AmnChode
The time now is 07:13 PM
You last visited: 07-22-2006 06:56 PM.

Never closed the window. Wish there was a to fix it... errr