Contemplating going back in the service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating going back in the service

rhikdavis
07-28-2006, 21:37
Yup, you read it right....

I've got ten years active duty already, figure I can do another ten (or more) standing on my head....I just hate to see that time I've already served go to waste.

Anyhow, I cannot find any info on prior service requirements...boot camp and all that stuff...

Anyone know any other info on prior service joining back up?

Oh yeah, I've been out of the Navy, 14 years. :bigsmile:

Thanx

geminicricket
07-28-2006, 21:54
Perhaps if you were to visit a recruiter you could get a straight answer. Perhaps not, but they do seem to be in every population center in America.

rhikdavis
07-28-2006, 22:32
Straight answer? From a recruiter? Baaahahahahahaaaa.

et2mdo
08-03-2006, 09:25
Originally posted by rhikdavis
Straight answer? From a recruiter? Baaahahahahahaaaa.

:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

I know a little about this, so I'll try to give you what information I can. Keep in mind that I could be completely full of it. I'll do a little research later to see if I was correct.

I believe that when you go back in, you will lose at least one rank from where you were when you left, unless you were E7 or above in which case you keep the same rank. You do have to go to Great Lakes for a 'boot camp', but it isn't the same one that you had to go through years ago. I think the 'boot camp' for non-continuous service members is shorter, easier, and completely separated from the recruits.

You've been out of the Navy for so long though, that I don't know if any of this is true. You may be running into some time/age restrictions... but since you've been in the Navy for 10 years, you already know that there is a waiver for almost everything.

I'll do some research and get back to you.

Navy87Guy
08-05-2006, 19:07
Seriously - go talk to the recruiter. Your age may be a disqualifier and depending on where you come back in as far as paygrade, you may be in for high year tenure problems.

I'm not trying to knock yur idea -- I'd welcome a few veterans back to my ship. But the recruiter can tell you straight up what the conditions would be.

Good luck!

Jim

Retread
09-11-2006, 13:11
Wish I could go back in.
Do not under any circumstances switch services to the Army.
That was the biggest mistake I ever made. It was 4 miserable years due to the Army's anti-Navy sentiment.

BManoftheyear
09-11-2006, 22:37
my uncle was in the army and retired with 24 years service.
the day he flew back to my grandmothers he sat down on the couch cracked open a beer and said thank god it's ****in over with.
i've never seen the man smile so big in my life.
he told me alot of things that he never told me when he was enlisted and by him doing that look at me now i am a SeaBee

Retread
09-12-2006, 06:20
Hey Seabee: There used to be a theater at Camp Lejeune. In the center of a really high ceiling, way out of reach, was a sign stating the theater had been built by Seabees. Man did that sign irritate the resident Marines...

KIDCOP
09-12-2006, 19:04
It won't be the same Navy you left. Last I knew the prior service guys went through a 2 week indoc which was mostly for uniform issue.

Max age used to be just under 35. Prior service counted year for year, in other words with ten years you could go back in just under 45 I believe. I would think though at that age a pimple on the butt would be a medical DQ.

Best thing though is to see the evil recruiter and get the real scoop. Prior service people used to be worth their weight in gold. I don't see this changing.