Synthetic or natrual (dino) oil? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic or natrual (dino) oil?

leadcounsel
07-30-2006, 00:28
I have an '04 4Runner V8, do mild towing, mild off roading, and sometimes drive in extreme temperatures (100 degrees in summer, sometimes minus 20 in the winter). For the first 44,000 miles I used the recommended 5W30 with no problems whatsoever.

I just bought some new tires and was offered a free oil change with Kendal oil through Tiresplus (an excellent tire store by the way). I was going to go with synthetic but they only had 10W40 available in synthetic. I chose to go with Kendal synthetic blend in 5W30 in a 50/50 blend because Toyota recommends 5W30 for this vehicle. As it is explained to me a synthetic blend offers the benefits of synthetic at a reduced cost.

Here are some questions I cannot get a straight answer on:

1) In the past it was said that once you go to synthetic you cannot go back to dino. I have read that that is not accurate. Can anyone confirm or deny this fact?

2) Is a blend as simple as a portion of synthetic and dino? If so, can you top off a dino with synthetic or top off a synthetic with a dino?

It would seem to me that an engine doesn't care what brand or whether it is synthetic or natural as long as it retains is lubrication and heat absorbing properties efficiently and is clean.

Am I incorrect in thinking that you can use synthetic and natural oils interchangably?

walkin' trails
08-10-2006, 19:43
I've been running synthetic oils off and on in some of my vehicles since the mid 1990s. I have used Castrol, Mobile 1, and currently Royal Purple. I have gone back and forth between synthetic and mineral before in all of them and suffered no ill effects. I've heard the stories, but I don't know how true they are. I ran Mobile 1 for years in a 5.0 Mustang and a Windstar, and Valvoline full synthetic in a Cadillac Escalade for a while. I can't say that I ever noticed much in the way of performance increases, but it was obvious to me when changing the oil that the synthetic flowed better. I have never had a breakdown that was lubrication or engine wear related, and I use to drive the Mustang and the Escalade pretty hard. I currently have an '03 Expedition that I bought new. I have run the Motorcraft blend more than anything else because it was easiest to find. I have not had any luck finding Mobile 1 in 5W20 on a regular basis when I need it. I learned about Royal Purple a while back and decided to try it. I think that I have seen a little bit of an increase in gas milege with it, but nothing that I can substanciate. I recently ran the Expedition to CA with Royal Purple in the crank case and a brand new Gibson cat-back exhaust sytem, and saw a one to one and a half mile per gallon increase with that. I'm going to stick with Royal Purpose from this point on. I will still change it at factory recommeded intervals. however.

Ron3
08-12-2006, 11:03
Just use whats it says to use in the owners manual and you cannot go wrong. Same thing goes for the oil change interval.

Do you think it's going to run 50% smoother with the oil you choose? Do you think your going to find 20 hidden horsepower? Or 3 more miles per gallon? Or your engine will last 300K miles instead of 250K miles? Or cut emmissions by 25%? It won't do any of those things.

It will probobly cost you more money, and whats worse is it causes SOME people to put off oil changes much longer than they should.

It's better in every way to change your oil every 3000-5000 miles with factory-grade oil than change it every 15000 miles with full sythetic magic oil.

JMO Ron3

walkin' trails
08-14-2006, 20:09
I agree that you should always stick to the factory oil change intervals, regardless of what some folks say about synthetic lasting longer. I never let mine go longer than the factory recommended 5,000, and usually change it sooner.

Will it give me better gas milege, greater horsepower, or make my motor last longer? Yes, I believe that less friction leads to better engine efficiency and longevity. A few years ago (early 1990s), one of the Mustang magazines actually did a test of synthetic motor oils. They conducted their test on the drag strip. A 5.0/5-speed Mustang (may have even been a 1993 Cobra) actually clocked consistently quicker times with Mobile One synthetic than with any of the other performance oils of the time.

Synthetics aren't a substitute for good car maintenance, but used properly, they, IMHO, will enhance a vehicle's performance.

Clydeglide
08-15-2006, 10:48
1) In the past it was said that once you go to synthetic you cannot go back to dino. I have read that that is not accurate. Can anyone confirm or deny this fact?

You can switch back and forth all you want.

2) Is a blend as simple as a portion of synthetic and dino? If so, can you top off a dino with synthetic or top off a synthetic with a dino?

A little more elaborate perhaps but not much. Yes you can top off with whatever's available provided it's a recommended oil for the vehicle.

It would seem to me that an engine doesn't care what brand or whether it is synthetic or natural as long as it retains is lubrication and heat absorbing properties efficiently and is clean.

Ding, ding, ding.......we have a winner! I could never find the answer to...."how does my car know?"

You can always call 1-800-ASK-MOBIL. They do answer questions. If you ask one they don't know they will find out and call you back.

You do realize oil threads on the net go way over the top.:upeyes:

:cool: