Multi-animal hunting shotgun help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multi-animal hunting shotgun help

A_Fletcher
08-01-2006, 20:30
Hey guys, I need some help with choosing an all around hunting shotgun. This gun will be used for duck, rabbit, quail and possibly some turkey. I feel like 12 gauge is abit too much of a push and I've decided on 16 or 20 gauge. I've narrowed it down to several different models of guns, how ever money is a bit tight so it's a consideration. Let me know all of your suggestions.

Remington 332
Remington 870
Remington 1100
Mossberg 500

nyredneck
08-01-2006, 23:12
Although I love the Remingtons, for an economically priced gun that goes BANG every time you pull the trigger you just can't go wrong with the Mossberg.
It has a Gazillion after-market accesories availible and is a good gun for any price.

Have you looked at the NEF Pardner? It's new and I don't know all the gauges it comes in (although I'm pretty sure it comes in at least 12 and 20) and is less than 200 beans.

Whatever gun you decide on, good luck huntin'!:supergrin:

mpol777
08-02-2006, 11:12
If money is a concern do NOT get a 16ga. Go for a 20ga instead. The performance isn't that drastically different, but the cost of shells is.

Personally I'd lean towards the double gun. Just my tastes. I've used pumps and autos as well. They all do the job.

BTW: In looking at doubles you may want to check out CZ. They've put the Huglu brand under their name recently.

freakshow10mm
08-02-2006, 12:03
Rem 870 20ga 26" is all you need. There is a reason the 870 is the #1 all time selling shotgun.

Also look to H&R's Pinnacle for an O/U. Well made and priced affordably. I want to say it is the old LC Smith brand.

vafish
08-02-2006, 20:50
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
Rem 870 20ga 26" is all you need. There is a reason the 870 is the #1 all time selling shotgun.

Good choice, unless you are left handed, then the safety sucks. If you are left handed I'd recommend the Mossberg 500 in 20 ga. That's what I got for my son.

FWIW, I don't think 12 ga is that bad. Load selection will help take care of your recoil issues. Besides that the smaller lighter 20ga's kick almost as much as the heavier 12's. Load selection in much greater in the 12 ga as well.

Compy
08-02-2006, 21:16
Originally posted by freakshow10mm

Because it's FREAKING OLD! :)

Look at the Benelli Nova. It's the smoothest pump on the market these days and not very expensive ($300 or so). It also comes stock with a nice fiber optic front sight and 3 chokes. It's lightweight and damn durable.

Michigun
08-03-2006, 07:23
With the info here I gotta vote for the Mossberg... you can still find the muzzleloader barrel for it even!

I agree with vafish on the 12-ga -vs- 20-ga deal as well.

A_Fletcher
08-03-2006, 14:06
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. How ever, after reading the reviews on a Benelli, I'm stuck between a Nova and a Mossberg haha. It never ends does it?:supergrin:

noway
08-03-2006, 14:32
get the remy and don't look back.

Compy
08-03-2006, 15:08
Originally posted by A_Fletcher
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. How ever, after reading the reviews on a Benelli, I'm stuck between a Nova and a Mossberg haha. It never ends does it?:supergrin:

FWIW: I have owned and used them all. The Nova is what I kept.

PlasticGuy
08-03-2006, 23:19
You didn't list a bad shotgun in your question, so you can really pick the one that feels best to you and feel good about it. I personally do all of my bird hunting with a Beretta 391 20 guage, and all of my combat/big game hunting with a Remington 870. I've shot literally hundreds of rounds in a shotgun instructor course through a Mossberg 590, and used a Benelli Nova for a couple of drills.

The Mossberg 500/590's are great, and I'd definitely call them the equal of any pump on the market (even including my beloved 870). In fact, they're better for left handed shooters than pretty much anything else.

The Nova worked well, but it seemed overpriced. There was nothing wrong with it, but I couldn't see anything that would make me want to spend the extra money to go that route.

I'd definitely back up the suggestions of going with either a 12 or 20 guage. Nothing else is common enough to make sense for anyone who doesn't reload.

GeorgiaGlockMan
08-03-2006, 23:39
I'd definately go with a 12 guage. If you're recoil sensative now chances are you'll get used to it or at least can go with powered down loads in most cases (especially for the light game). For high flying ducks and turkey, you'll want something that will get there with plenty of power.

The Remmingtons are good for the occasional hunter/shooter and then some.

My preferences of the ones you listed are:

1187 - you didn't list it but I like mine more than my 1100 (1100 was my 1st shotty vintage 1980-81). They're pretty much the same gun.

870 - like others said good customization opportunities plus all the shuck-shuck fun of a pump action.

Of those that I own, I like my Baretta A391 about the best.

What I'd buy if I knew then what I know now - Benelli SBE2.

Sturmgewehr44
08-04-2006, 01:55
Originally posted by Compy
Because it's FREAKING OLD! :)
Yeah, the B52 is old too. But it's slated to continue service till 2040. The standard 1911 .45ACP is old and I'll bet it will still be sold new long after you die of old age. :cool: :cool:

I bet the 870 model will be around for another 50 years.

If it works, don't fix it. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sturmgewehr44
08-04-2006, 01:58
;)