Made AF Recuiter Contact - Assistance Appreciated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Made AF Recuiter Contact - Assistance Appreciated

C150J
08-02-2006, 20:09
Hi all -

I have been considering military service for three years now, and finally made initial contact with a recruiting office. It took me this long to really acknowledge the commitment and realize that I want to serve my country. I will probably be hearing from them within the week. My quals:

- B.S., Cornell University
- Certified Flight Instructor (650/100 for those that care), Commercial Pilot Single/Multi-Engine Land, Instrument Airplane
- Law Enforcement Experience (mostly through local/state/federal internships)
- 23 y/o

I know that I have quite a few questions, and certainly don't expect someone to give a comprehensive answer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1. I am very interested in serving as an officer - what I do is secondary. HOWEVER, I am naturally interested in flying and AFOSI. I know that one can apply to OTS "Pilot Only." Is there such a thing for AFOSI?

2. What is the deal with "expeditionary security forces?" Is this actually different from the "regular" SF? Are the officer duties not that attractive (I haven't heard good things, but it's all second-hand knowledge). I am mainly interested in the outside-the-fence operations.

3. I'm not sure of their official name now (used to be FAQs, maybe it's Tactical Air Controller now, not sure), but is this something that is within reach? I was never a super-athlete, but do have the ability to get into great shape (not PJ level though).

4. To reiterate, I am interested in whether or not I can choose these positions prior to "signing the line." I have a strong urge to serve, but would gain some peace of mind knowing what I'm going in for.

Thanks!
J.

MrMurphy
08-02-2006, 21:22
Expeditionary Security Forces are just SF actually deployed for the most part. Some units specifically train to deploy all the time (like the 786th and 820th) but the majority of the expeditionary guys are drawn from regular units and deployed together (squad here, flight there etc).

FACs are now generally Combat Controllers and TACP. Very physical job, high washout rate from what I've seen (TACP didnt-make-its come to Security Forces).

Don't know about OSI, don't believe anything the recruiter tells you (he don't know either). They all come in as criminal investigators from their OSI academy, then specialize out.

With your flight rating, I would become a pilot. As officers in the USAF, there's "rated" (pilots) and "Everyone else".

I think you can guess how that all works out. Not as bad as it used to be, but i guess it can get to some people.

I'm active duty Security Forces overseas in Europe.

meeko
08-03-2006, 20:52
If you try OSI good luck! A lot of competition and very few slots. As for pilot slots that might be tough too but there are more pilot spots than OSI spots. I would talk to a couple different recruiters. Why 2? sometimes you won't get all the answers from just one in my experence. (21 years total 15 Active duty the rest ANG)They can fill you in on everything else. As a TACP's you will be Air Force but stationed at an Army post. (unless you do a ANG or AF Reserve unit) They do have a few officer spots. Also Para Rescue and Combat Control as well but they have a longer tech school than TACP's and it's alot tougher as well. Good Luck