Hard to fish in this repressive heat? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard to fish in this repressive heat?

BlackBelt
08-07-2006, 11:54
I live on a lake. I fish everyday for bass and panfish. I see them swimming in schools in the lake. This morning there was a school of 16 bass in the 2-3 lb. category cruising the shallows, probably looking for stray minnows. The temp here in TN for the last few weeks has hovered around 100 degrees.
Those fish aren't biting. At least not what I'm throwing. I don't know if it's just the heat, or oxygen depletion in the water from no rain, or the wrong bait, or maybe I'm wearing my hat wrong...
Whatever it is, it SUCKS!!!
Any ideas?

lethal tupperwa
08-07-2006, 12:18
Take a small hook maybe a long shank 8 and thread about 1 inch of night crawler on it up to the eye.

Pinch a small split shot (just enough to sink it slowly to the bottom)about 12 inches above the hook.

If you are in a boat go to anywhere some kind of water enters the lake.

sitting a short distance off the shore let the worm fall and with the bail open keep paying out line as long as it will go.

If you are afoot you can do something similar with a slip bobber.

I am not sure why, I think there is some current near the bottom at these points that takes the bait to where fish are feeding.

I have caught nice stringers of fish doing this when no one else could lose bait.

Razoreye
08-07-2006, 12:37
I've tried all sorts of baits. I end up using a small rooster tail, usually a chartreuse color, and catch the small bass/large panfish.

I'm going to try the jig-n-pig next time I go out.

P.S. - mealworm, nightcrawlers, and minnows have all been working well for me but I don't catch any whoppers with those baits. :rollsmiley:

noway
08-07-2006, 13:11
In general bass and most sunfish have a very low tolerance of hot waters, thus they don't eat as much and will be less agressive towards eating when water temp is XX.x degs. Also they will be less incline to attacking a crankbait vrs a slow crawling worm ( thus that hint above )

Best thing you can do to widen your fish catch ratio, cast a texas/carolina rig plastic worm under pilers/docks and area directly on shade or on top of lilly pads and let the worm just fall with a slow twitch.

I like using Yum hawgtails with a 1/0 -2/0 hook and no weight or very little. if I don't get a strike in the 1st 10secs , Irell it in and cast again.

Keep doing this and you will hook up with a fish in that area if they are sitting still.

sp3worker
08-07-2006, 13:44
Originally posted by noway
In general bass and most sunfish have a very low tolerance of hot waters, thus they don't eat as much and will be less agressive towards eating when water temp is XX.x degs. Also they will be less incline to attacking a crankbait vrs a slow crawling worm ( thus that hint above )

Best thing you can do to widen your fish catch ratio, cast a texas/carolina rig plastic worm under pilers/docks and area directly on shade or on top of lilly pads and let the worm just fall with a slow twitch.

I like using Yum hawgtails with a 1/0 -2/0 hook and no weight or very little. if I don't get a strike in the 1st 10secs , Irell it in and cast again.

Keep doing this and you will hook up with a fish in that area if they are sitting still.

A Texas rigged 4" Yamamoto Skirted Grub with no weight on a 2/0 offset shank hook is my summer go to bait. I think it helps to get on the water at first light too, it's not so hot and the fish seem to be a little more active.

THEPOPE
08-07-2006, 19:55
All great suggestions, folks, and I would try a " Texas " rigged Senko bait, no weight, letting it sink slowly, then small twitches.

Or a spinnerbait, either slow rolled,near bottom, or blazing across the surface, to get reaction strikes.

MAN, IS FISHIN` GREAT OR WHAT?!?

imout :cool: