BC Black Bear Hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BC Black Bear Hunting?

sp3worker
08-07-2006, 13:35
I'm looking into booking a guided black bear hunt in British Columbia for next fall, and I need some advise. This will be my first bear hunt, so I have lots of questions. Anybody ever hunt in BC? Can you recommend any guides? I've looked at some trips through Cabela's, Steve's Outdoor Adventures and Shoshone Wilderness Outfitting. All of those are outfitters who have several guided hunts available, would I be better off going through the guide directly? What part of BC is the best for size and color phase bears? Any trouble getting guns and ammo into and out of Canada? I'm going to use my Browning A-Bolt .300 Win. Mag., what type of bullet and weight should I use. With the spot and stalk hunts how long is the average shot? I'm sure more will come to me, but these are the only ones I can think of right now. Any help would be appriciated.:thumbsup:

vafish
08-08-2006, 09:45
I've never hunted for bear in BC so I won't be much help on finding a guide.

But I can tell you for sure that if you book a hunt through Cabelas that it will cost you more than booking directly through a guide.

But, the problem booking directly through the guide is you don't know what you are getting.

I've only used guides a few times and I've always booked withsomeone a friend had used.

mpol777
08-13-2006, 09:33
I shipped an email off to a friend that lives in BC. Here's his reply.

There is no shortage of black bears here in BC. The problem is that a non-resident non-citizen has to have a licensed guide. Period. Full Stop.

The best place to go for the most bears and the largest is Vancouver Island. There you are likely to find an outfitter/guide who specializes in bears and cougars.

I do not have a specific recommendation as to the outfitter.

Cheers

I was hoping he'd have a name for you. Such is life. :)

On you're .300 win, any well constructed 180gr (I'm a fan of Partitions) will be good.

Good luck.

sp3worker
08-14-2006, 17:02
Thanks for the info. I looked into some of the Vancouver Island hunts, sounds like they have some huge bears there but almost no color phase, except for the extremly rare glacial bears. Thinking about one in the West Kootenay Mountains of South-Central BC from Shoshone Wilderness Adventures. They said hunters average seeing 40-50 bears in a 5 day hunt, about 1/2 color phase.

mpol777
08-17-2006, 11:40
40-50 bears is a ton. Down around me we'll tree between one and five in a good week of full bore hunting. We have a good population, but not that good and it's big rugged country. The population is also more spread out because the habitat can't sustain that many bears in a small area.

The big predators sure make for a good hunt.

Glocktex
09-11-2006, 08:55
You are picking one of the most beautiful places to hunt in the world! Although I have not hunted black bear there, I have been there twice in the past 3 years. Once for moose and the other for mountain goat. Both times successful :supergrin: Both times were with the same outfitter. The second time I went with the owner's son, Bart. He is one, if not the most hard working guide I have ever hunted with. He has a passion, and I mean passion for hunting bears. He would be an excellent one to contact and speak with. When you do tell him I said hello. Tell him Scott who shot a mtn. goat with him two years ago. You can find the website below.

http://www.fontanabighorn.com

Best of luck to you!

p.s. don't forget to post pics!!!!!!