Final Fu [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Final Fu

Soujurn
08-07-2006, 18:08
I just watched a little of this show. Has anyone else seen it? Whats the point of it all? To see who can throw the most worthless kicks and punches?
They have all these kids (I call anyone under 30 these days, "kids"), with black belts from different styles, sparring for about a minute. No kickis or punches above the neck or below the belt. No sweeps or holds or throws.
Like I asked, whats the point?

gr81disp
08-08-2006, 19:51
To look pretty. You don't think martial arts are supposed to be used to *gasp* fight with, do you? [/sarcasm]

BlackBelt
08-09-2006, 05:57
I've seen 4 episodes of it.
I think that one of the competitors made a comment that it wasn't about martial arts, he figured it was just about throwing as many punches as possible and racking up as many points. So when the first round came, he just came in and threw right,left,right,left,right,left...etc. like he was working a speed bag, and won his match.
Doesn't take a martial artist to do that.
Some of the kicks are nice, but what's the point when you can't hit above the neck, or throw, or really fight?
It IS nice to see Earnie Reyes Jr. though. He's a consumate professional. I was surprised he was involved in this type of thing at all.

MightBite
08-09-2006, 09:10
I've seen about 4 or so episodes too. I think the point of it is that there is $25,000 at stake for the winner. Remember this is on MTV so it's not like we're looking at the highest quality programming, their looking for flash. It's also discouraging to see that there aren't any grappling martial arts shown.