I Am A Winner! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I Am A Winner!

Swattie
08-09-2006, 09:58
I just won two free weeks of jujitsu classes. WOHOO! I never win anything. I am stoked. Would rather learn Krav Maga but there is no where close that teaches it. :frown:

tnoisaw
08-15-2006, 21:26
Jujitsu is fun. Be prepared for sore wrists and headaches for a while. I took Aikido in Hawaii and was the only white guy there, all others were Japanese. Those little guys tossed me around like I weighed fifty pounds. Fun as heck though.

Swattie
08-16-2006, 09:25
I know some ai ki do and some tae kwon do. Not impressed with either although they both have their good points.

I am impressed with KRAV MAGA however.

Will have to see with jujitsu

gr81disp
08-17-2006, 05:12
Is it Jujitsu or Jiu-Jitsu? The first involves primarily wristlocks and throws, the second involves armlocks, chokes, and wrestling.

Swattie
08-21-2006, 18:44
Not sure. She said cops like it.

gr81disp
08-25-2006, 11:08
Could be either one then. I am a proponent of the Jiu-Jitsu style, but can see the place for wristlocks and such.

paf040
08-30-2006, 20:45
Ju Jitsu is great. I'm interested in Aikido or Krav Maga. Schools can be tough to find though.

paul :supergrin:

DBradD
09-02-2006, 19:08
Is it a groundfighting-oriented class or stand-up stuff? I think I'd be scared to take a stand-up class because I think there's lots of throwing, wristlock throws (throw you using a wristlock--go with the throw correctly or get a suddenly broken wrist), etc. Sounds to me like a good way for a cop to go on disability income. ;) I like groundfighting A LOT and am seriously thinking about checking out the local BJJ school.

brock sampson
09-02-2006, 22:01
In two weeks you'll see some cool stuff and probably get a good handle on how to stand, fall and starting level basics. Don't judge everything by this because two weeks is just not adequate time to really take it all in.
Krav and BJJ are the "in" thing lately and they have their own advantages but with the right instruction, and enough time, you begin to see that everything is really all the same.
Just have fun with your free trial!

Islander-11
09-03-2006, 08:53
I don't want to run afoul of the advertising regs of GT, but...

Check out the main web site for Krav Maga and follow the links to the law enforcement section. You'll see that they offer certification classes for law enforcement. My chief sent myself and another guy to get certified, with the deal being that we come back and train all willing officers. So far, this has worked out very well. The training (one week) was intense - I had worked out like crazy to get ready for it, and still it was all I could do to get through it!

The instructor is a guy named John Pascal. He's with the LA Sheriff's Dept., which means he knows what cops do and how it is to be done. This guy was something to see - about 6 feet tall, maybe 170 lbs., but any idiot who would take a shot at him would quickly get a new perspective on life...

The bottom line - this can be a cost-efficient way for a department to bring Krav Maga to the troops. I strongly urge you all to check it out.

gr81disp
09-03-2006, 08:55
Bjj is an "in" thing because it works and is actually battle tested (UFC, Pride, various streetfights) with video to back it up. Krav is an "in" thing because "it is used by the Israeli Mossad agents." Doesn't mean it doesn't work, but I will stick with Bjj until Krav practitioners start winning world championships in freestyle fighting.

Islander-11
09-03-2006, 09:17
I think we're talking apples and oranges, Gr81.

BJJ is a great discipline. It's just that I'm going to be in one large lawsuit if I take a bad guy to the street and choke him out with a triangle or break his shoulder with a kimura (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

Krav Maga, for my money, is an effective, straight-forward and efficient fighting system. It was developed in Israel to be taught to an entire nation. There is not a lot of flash with Krav Maga - it's about tough training and techniques tested under stressful conditions.

It's something that can keep someone in awesome shape. It can help the smaller person overcome the larger attacker. It helps me in my role as a law enforcement officer to be prepared for the unexpected. It's what I train my daughters and wife with so that they could defend themselves if, God forbid, they are ever attacked.

It is a system that I practice so that I can "walk in peace", as the Krav Maga motto states.

YMMV - For me, Krav Maga is proven on the streets every day.

gr81disp
09-03-2006, 09:21
Sorry Islander, I started replying before your post was up. I have nothing against Krav, I just do not feel it is for me, like you with Bjj. I was replying to Brock's comment about it being the flavor of the month.

Islander-11
09-04-2006, 06:00
Originally posted by gr81disp
Sorry Islander, I started replying before your post was up. I have nothing against Krav, I just do not feel it is for me, like you with Bjj. I was replying to Brock's comment about it being the flavor of the month.

No worries - the guys that bum me out (as co-workers go) are the ones who don't do anything to prepare for the rainy days.

As for BJJ, I'm still sporting a black eye from a training session two or so weeks ago. We have a woman who is pretty (and) proficient who has been coming out to teach us BJJ. It is great stuff. I'm simply an old dog trying to learn a new trick. Getting submitted or choked out by someone who weighs about 80 lbs. less than me has taught me that I better keep learning!

Great forum here. Thanks.

brock sampson
09-06-2006, 15:48
No disrespect to these styles. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of forms of training that will teach you valuable skills and not to only consider one of these two. There are a lot of people who are exposed to these methods at the moment because of the results people are having with them. Personally, I believe the real key is in the instruction, call it whatever style you want. If the guy teaching you doesn't know it, then he can't pass it on to you.

Halojumper
09-18-2006, 22:39
Originally posted by gr81disp
Is it Jujitsu or Jiu-Jitsu? The first involves primarily wristlocks and throws, the second involves armlocks, chokes, and wrestling.

It's just different spellings of the same word. Could also be Jujutsu. Remember, it is a romanized version of a language that represents its meaning primiarily through pictorial symbols.