Glasses vs Martial Arts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glasses vs Martial Arts

DBradD
08-09-2006, 22:55
Hello Martial Arts Forum Folks!

I'm thinking about getting back into BJJ after 10 years off and I have a question. I studied for about a year when I was 25, moved away from my school to places that didn't have schools, and now am 35. There are a couple of schools in the place I live now.

Weird thing is that I now wear glasses or contact lenses. Surely there are folks in here that take similar classes (judo, wrestling, MMA...) who do not have 20/20 vision. What do you do about your eyesight? Do you just go without glasses when you spar? Do you wear contacts? If so, do they end up popping out?

I have a moderate prescription, 3.00, nearsighted, so I can see somebody from across a room, but a guy two armlengths away is definitely very blurry. I think I'd be fine groundfighting without glasses or contacts and BJJ classes are mostly groundfighting. It would be nice to be able to see, though, LOL.

Thanks in advance.
DBD

gr81disp
08-10-2006, 08:09
I wear contacts and do BJJ. Although I have heard of lenses popping out while rolling, it has never happened to me. So I say just wear them and do not worry about it. BTW, funny enough, my prescription is the same as yours.

DBradD
08-10-2006, 09:08
Originally posted by gr81disp
I wear contacts and do BJJ. Although I have heard of lenses popping out while rolling, it has never happened to me. So I say just wear them and do not worry about it. BTW, funny enough, my prescription is the same as yours.
Great. That is very encouraging. Thank you very much for your reply.

I guess you and I are at the same point on the downhill vision spiral. :cool:

ltgibson2001
08-14-2006, 18:14
Mine have popped out or folded over if i got poked in the eye or when I was punched when I do kickboxing or mma. I just stopped and went to bathroom and fixed the problem then continued on. It is annoying though.

Skpotamus
08-15-2006, 23:21
If you're just doing grappling, contact lenses will work. If you're doing anything with striking, take them out.

When I was doing my shootwrestling and BJJ, the contacts were fine. When I was doing my Muay Thai or MMA, the contacts gave me problems. When I'd get soemthing in them, I would tear up, and get hit... when I got hit hard, I had a contact stuck in a very dry eye for almost three days. It hurt like hell.