Indiana Open Carry Sightings. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Open Carry Sightings.

FThorn
08-12-2006, 18:55
Just so folks can get an idea of how much or little people open carry in Indiana, I thought I'd start a thread.

Tonight at Wal-Mart in Beech Grove (SE Indy) I saw a man open carrying a glock with two mag holder, on a tactical style belt. While wearing camo shorts, and some type of t-shirt. He was with what appeared to be his elderly mother shopping. My bet was he was not a cop-just did not look the type.

So, that aisle had TWO carry persons - one open, one concealed.

R. Emmelman
08-12-2006, 20:17
I saw an open carry Glock (G22 or G23)at the east side Meijer. The gentleman did have a badge on his belt. don't think he was IPD/MCSD/ISP though. Looked like a private security type.

Warp
08-12-2006, 21:20
Discounting the range and gun shop, I have seen one person open carry. A 1911 style with wood grips at Turkey Run State Park, in the nature center. This was back in April or so.

rhino465
08-12-2006, 23:06
I saw me carrying openly on the far south side of Crawfordsville on Tuesday evening!

brass308
08-13-2006, 08:22
Rhino, you saw yourself, and you were open carrying?? I can only imagine seeign TWO ballet masters walking the streets at one time :freak:

Cheers
:beer: :rollsmiley: :beer:

IronHorseman
08-13-2006, 09:12
I open carry occasionally on the bike in hot weather.The past couple of weeks I have been leaving my cover shirt unbuttoned due to the heat.When we lived in Indy we used to stop at Dairy Queen or at convenience store at SR 37 and Southport Rd on the way home fro the range and open carry.I`ve seen open carry at Walmart in Greenwood and at Cycle Recycle.

IronHorseman
08-13-2006, 09:14
Originally posted by rhino465
I saw me carrying openly on the far south side of Crawfordsville on Tuesday evening!

Beware of officer Jeff Largent in C`ville.

rhino465
08-13-2006, 17:46
Originally posted by brass308
Rhino, you saw yourself, and you were open carrying?? I can only imagine seeign TWO ballet masters walking the streets at one time :freak:

Yeah! When I see my own reflection, I don't know whether to fall in love or draw! :supergrin:

I refrained from the pirouettes, though. Open carry may be legal, but that kind of thing just "ain't right" around here.

rhino465
08-13-2006, 17:50
Originally posted by IronHorseman
Beware of officer Jeff Largent in C`ville.

Why?

I know the name, but I don't think I've ever met him. What does he look like?

I was carrying openly on my way home from Lebanon again today. I stopped at the Marathon on the east side of C'ville and there was a guy who was very obviously a cop parked at the pump opposite me (he was dressed neatly, had a shaved head, and had lots of attennas on his dark colored sedan). I could tell he "looked" at me while I was walking around my truck pumpin' gas and cleaning a bunch of trash out of the cab, but he didn't say anything to me.

Which is exactly what should have happened. I noticed him and he noticed me, and since we were strangers, there was no interaction. If he'd made eye contact, I would have said, "Howdy!" though, 'cause I'm friendly. :supergrin:

IronHorseman
08-13-2006, 18:53
Why?

I know the name, but I don't think I've ever met him. What does he look like?

I was carrying openly on my way home from Lebanon again today. I stopped at the Marathon on the east side of C'ville and there was a guy who was very obviously a cop parked at the pump opposite me (he was dressed neatly, had a shaved head, and had lots of attennas on his dark colored sedan). I could tell he "looked" at me while I was walking around my truck pumpin' gas and cleaning a bunch of trash out of the cab, but he didn't say anything to me.

Which is exactly what should have happened. I noticed him and he noticed me, and since we were strangers, there was no interaction. If he'd made eye contact, I would have said, "Howdy!" though, 'cause I'm friendly. :supergrin:

I went to school with Jeff Largent he is an officer with Crawforsville PD. He has a real problem with open carry.He has hassled several of my friends.Of course he has had an attitude problem since elementary school.

FThorn
08-13-2006, 19:14
I hate those types.

kfoley
08-13-2006, 19:52
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
I saw an open carry Glock (G22 or G23)at the east side Meijer. The gentleman did have a badge on his belt. don't think he was IPD/MCSD/ISP though. Looked like a private security type.
At first I thought you were talking about me, that is until you got to the badge part. Although I do get mistaken for a cop quite a bit. I guess it's the short hair, clean cut, young guy in BDU's with a Glock and dual mag pouch thing... :freak: Anybody else who OC's get asked this a lot?

I usually open carry in summer and conceal (if I'm wearing a jacket) in winter. However I have not seen many others around town who OC, with exception of the gun shops...

rhino465
08-13-2006, 20:00
I went to school with Jeff Largent he is an officer with Crawforsville PD. He has a real problem with open carry.He has hassled several of my friends.Of course he has had an attitude problem since elementary school.

That's unfortunate. It sounds like he's exactly the kind of person who is attracted to "law enforcment" for the power trip and should absolutely not be allowed to be a police officer.

Perhaps if I have a problem with him, I'll talk to his superiors.

9mm Luger
08-13-2006, 21:07
I saw one person open carrying last summer here in La Porte county. Looked like he was carrying a .357 magnum. Other than in gun shops he's the only person I have seen carrying openly.

He got alot of shocked looks while pumping his gas from the sheeple. :upeyes:

SemperFi5831
08-14-2006, 01:40
I can remember three occasions in the last few years where I saw someone open carrying in the Seymour/Columbus area; with one being just this past Friday.

One was in a restaurant on a well dressed 50 something gentleman with gray hair and a nice .45 in what looked like a quality leather belt holster.

Another was in Walmart where I got in the checkout line behind some schmuch with a Highpoint tucked into the small of his back with no holster.

Then just last Friday I was in the Verizon store in Columbus getting a new phone and my girlfriend pointed out that another man at the counter had a small pistol tucked into his pants at about 5 o’clock. It looked to be about .380 caliber and again was not in a holster. This guy didn’t appear very smart either as he was leaning with both arms up on the counter and his ass sticking out with his pistol displayed for everyone and offering anyone who dared the opportunity to just reach over and grab it. He would have been able to do nothing to prevent it being taken from him. I almost wanted to do it just to teach him a lesson.

Semper Fi

Hoosierdaddy_X4
08-14-2006, 12:26
Originally posted by Warp
Discounting the range and gun shop, I have seen one person open carry. A 1911 style with wood grips at Turkey Run State Park, in the nature center. This was back in April or so.

I thought State Park carry was a "No-No" here in Indiana. (Not that it has ever stopped me) Correct me if I am wrong.

Hoosierdaddy_X4
08-14-2006, 12:32
My position as a Youth Pastor makes it so that I have to always be aware of the image that I am portraying. I think everyone in my church knows that I like guns, and that I have been known to carry occasionally (by occasionally, I mean 99.9%), but they may not like me open carrying too much. So I usually go concealed around town. However, I do open carry every once in a while.

The other day, I was at the gas station and a guy in front of me was open carrying a 1911. Two other guys next to me were arguing about the legality of carrying a gun. Little did they know that he was not the only one carrying. :cool:

Warp
08-14-2006, 14:07
Originally posted by Hoosierdaddy_X4
I thought State Park carry was a "No-No" here in Indiana. (Not that it has ever stopped me) Correct me if I am wrong.

According to Indiana Criminal Code state parks are perfectly fine to carry in. The DNR has an administrative policy against it, and I am unsure exactly what weight that carries. In order to be 100% you would have to consult legal advice. Since it is not listed in the criminal code I believe it to be okay, I simply make sure to conceal very well when I am in a state park as I wouldn't want to get kicked out...

R. Emmelman
08-14-2006, 14:44
*** snip *** I simply make sure to conceal very well when I am in a state park as I wouldn't want to get kicked out...
More like having your weapon taken away and kicked out.

KSFreeman
08-14-2006, 15:20
I open carry every blue moon, usually when in transit to the range. However I do carry IWB with khaki pants and nice causal shirts. People rarely notice the pistol.:)

meeko
08-14-2006, 16:17
One of the only times I saw open carry was two kids (I call them kids) about 18 and 19 looked like brothers. Still had that baby fat in their faces. Anyway I was behind them in line at my local Dairy Queen. They were completly not aware of thier surrondings. Good thing I was not intent on ill will. Rhino knows my theory on this. I can't help it. It is drove into me from when I went to the federal firearms instructor school and my agency on a weapon retention. I really wanted to politely mention that to the kid in a productive way of course however, some people might take it wrong so I just let it go.

sjstill
08-14-2006, 17:25
We stopped at Einsteins Bagels in Speedway this past weekend on the way to the range. Saturday morning, there were 3 MCSD's, and one kept giving me "the look", but I just smiled in return. I'm standing there in khakis, red shirt with Indy Parks logo, spare mags, neat & clean. Does that fit the profile of a miscreant???

Sunday morning a little guy about 10 or 11 came up to me and asked if I was a cop. I told him no. He asked what my spare mags were, and I showed him. He wanted to see one of my 'bullets', so I popped out the top one (45ACP Federal HST). He asked if I'd ever been shot in my bulletproof vest. Had to tell him no. Gave his dad my card and told them to come up and see me at the range sometime.

Did have one guy ask why I carried 2 extra mags, was I expecting a firefight or something?? I just told him it balanced out the load on my belt :freak:

Sunday evening, we went to Texas Roadhouse in Avon for dinner right after work. I did put on my vest to cover my pistol, but I still had my red "CRO" had on. One of the employees came over and asked what it meant, and I told him. May have another range customer now :supergrin:

As a general rule, I like to keep my gun concealed, but there's times it can't be avoided to carry open.

R. Emmelman
08-14-2006, 19:58
Originally posted by sjstill
*** snip ***

Did have one guy ask why I carried 2 extra mags, was I expecting a firefight or something?? I just told him it balanced out the load on my belt :freak:

*** snip ***
I find that my 2-way radio does indeed balance my belt and makes my G22 ride a little better. :)

Warp
08-14-2006, 22:39
More like having your weapon taken away and kicked out.

Care to elaborate? Taken by whom and on what authority? Then what?

Prometheus77
08-15-2006, 01:00
Originally posted by meeko
I really wanted to politely mention that to the kid in a productive way of course however, some people might take it wrong so I just let it go.

There is no way to politely do it right off the bat. People never take it right. It's like guy at the range who has to come over and the first words out of his mouth are "ya know, you'd shoot alot better if...." It's not your (or my) place to tell a stanger these things. If they shoot crappy or get their weapon snatched oh well. Tough for them (and anyone around them), they should have had better friends to clue them in.

I hardly make more than a half hearted attempt to conceal most days. I've had people tell me "this way or that way" is better or get a longer shirt yada yada. I tell them I don't care if they can see it or not. They look confused. I normally don't bother to get into the inevitable drawn out conversation of open or concealed carry.

Weapon retention is another matter however. If someone can see my weapon, it's not something their going to be easily able to grab. If it's easier to spot, it's because it's in a 'real' holster and I'm less concerned. If I'm stuffing it down my pants, like my Keltec p11 w/belt clip, you won't see it. If for no other reason than when I see a holstered gun my radar only goes off mildly. When I see someone with something just stuck down their pants, I can't help but think 'gangbanger' or punk.

I open carried last halloween in a drop leg holster at walmart. I'm not even sure the 2 cops inside the store realized it wasn't a prop. So far other than running out to get gas I don't blantantly open carry. I'm too close to the state line (Hammond, Highland, Munster area) and I honestly don't want to get harrased with the 'man with a gun' call everytime I step out of my car. Those sheeple from ILL that would call, don't give a second look to something poking out from the bottom of a shirt - must be a cell phone case?
----

Oh yeah I did see a guy in the munster target a few months ago (with his wife or girlfriend) about 20 pounds overweight wearing a skin tight tshirt carrying what appeared to be a glock 17 or 22 under the shirt in a fobus holster. Yes the shirt was that tight. Kinda scarry honestly :supergrin:

I was tempted to ask what model glock it was, but I refrained. I figured the onlyw ay I could say it would come across wrong. I donno if he heard my wife say as we went by "is that a glock under there". or not. She was about .5 seconds slower in noticing it. My wife hates glocks and doesn't know much about them, so for her to pick it out so well... yeah.... disturbing :laughabove:

FWIW I'd like to open carry more. If I had more friends willing to open carry with me I'd do it more often. I just don't like teh whole one on one or more than one on one confrontations that are possible with the locals. With multiple friends, they tend to show alittle more respect.

IronHorseman
08-15-2006, 05:12
Originally posted by Prometheus77
There is no way to politely do it right off the bat. People never take it right. It's like guy at the range who has to come over and the first words out of his mouth are "ya know, you'd shoot alot better if...." It's not your (or my) place to tell a stanger these things. If they shoot crappy or get their weapon snatched oh well. Tough for them (and anyone around them), they should have had better friends to clue them in.

I hardly make more than a half hearted attempt to conceal most days. I've had people tell me "this way or that way" is better or get a longer shirt yada yada. I tell them I don't care if they can see it or not. They look confused. I normally don't bother to get into the inevitable drawn out conversation of open or concealed carry.

Weapon retention is another matter however. If someone can see my weapon, it's not something their going to be easily able to grab. If it's easier to spot, it's because it's in a 'real' holster and I'm less concerned. If I'm stuffing it down my pants, like my Keltec p11 w/belt clip, you won't see it. If for no other reason than when I see a holstered gun my radar only goes off mildly. When I see someone with something just stuck down their pants, I can't help but think 'gangbanger' or punk.

I open carried last halloween in a drop leg holster at walmart. I'm not even sure the 2 cops inside the store realized it wasn't a prop. So far other than running out to get gas I don't blantantly open carry. I'm too close to the state line (Hammond, Highland, Munster area) and I honestly don't want to get harrased with the 'man with a gun' call everytime I step out of my car. Those sheeple from ILL that would call, don't give a second look to something poking out from the bottom of a shirt - must be a cell phone case?
----

Oh yeah I did see a guy in the munster target a few months ago (with his wife or girlfriend) about 20 pounds overweight wearing a skin tight tshirt carrying what appeared to be a glock 17 or 22 under the shirt in a fobus holster. Yes the shirt was that tight. Kinda scarry honestly :supergrin:

I was tempted to ask what model glock it was, but I refrained. I figured the onlyw ay I could say it would come across wrong. I donno if he heard my wife say as we went by "is that a glock under there". or not. She was about .5 seconds slower in noticing it. My wife hates glocks and doesn't know much about them, so for her to pick it out so well... yeah.... disturbing :laughabove:

FWIW I'd like to open carry more. If I had more friends willing to open carry with me I'd do it more often. I just don't like teh whole one on one or more than one on one confrontations that are possible with the locals. With multiple friends, they tend to show alittle more respect.

I live in Gibson county.The Peoples Republik of Illinois is just on the other side of the river.Around here we don`t care what the sheeple from the PRI think.

Burzum
08-15-2006, 11:41
I spotted one at Autozone in Anderson a ways back. I couldn't really tell what kind of gun it was. Didn't bother me or any one else in the store.

R. Emmelman
08-15-2006, 12:21
Care to elaborate? Taken by whom and on what authority? Then what?

Please remember.... IANAL

IC 14-11-2
Chapter 2. Rules

IC 14-11-2-1
Adoption of rules
Sec. 1. (a) The department may adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 for the conduct of the following:
(1) Department meetings.
(2) Upon the recommendation of the director, the work of the department and the divisions.
(b) The department may not adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 for the establishment of fees for the following:
(1) Programs of the department or the commission.
(2) Facilities owned or operated by the department or the commission or a lessee of the department or commission.
(3) Licenses issued by the commission, the department, or the director.
(4) Inspections or other similar services under this title performed by the department or an assistant or employee of the department.
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.246-2005, SEC.116.

IC 14-11-2-2
Violation of rules
Sec. 2. A person who violates a rule adopted under this chapter commits a Class C infraction.
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.4.

IC 34-28-5-4
Maximum judgments
Sec. 4. (a) A judgment of up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000) may be entered for a violation constituting a Class A infraction.
(b) A judgment of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000) may be entered for a violation constituting a Class B infraction.
(c) A judgment of up to five hundred dollars ($500) may be entered for a violation constituting a Class C infraction.
(d) A judgment of up to twenty-five dollars ($25) may be entered for a violation constituting a Class D infraction.
(e) Subject to section 1(g) of this chapter, a judgment:
(1) up to the amount requested in the complaint; and
(2) not exceeding any limitation under IC 36-1-3-8;
may be entered for an ordinance violation.
As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.24. Amended by P.L.200-2005, SEC.2.

Now while there seems to be no provision to take the weapon (unlike the state fair rule), I would bet that your friendly DNR officer would do so.

rhino465
08-15-2006, 12:32
I susepct that most Conservation Officers with a lick of common sense either won't make a big deal of your gun, or might suggest that you conceal it when in a park since technically it's against the rules. I don't know any park rangers, so they're a crap shoot.

Still, it's inevitable that on any given day, the one guy with the badge who sees your gun will have something to prove and will cause you trouble. Discretion is the better way to go when administrative regulations and quasi-laws (like the State Fair thing) infringe on our inherent rights.

I will open carry pretty much any time it is prudent to do so and I feel like it. If someone else wants to do it with me, then they are welcome to do so as well. Since my primary reason for doing so is socio-political re-education, then I would expect that several normal people together who just happen to be carrying would make an even bigger positive impact (where it's possible to be positive), and would probably dissuade overt negative confrontations.

KSFreeman
08-15-2006, 15:44
I've been hassled once while open carrying. I was in Wheatfield, Indiana delivering a rifle to a gunsmith to have some custom work done and pulled into a gas station for coffee.

I walked back to the coffee, poured a big cup and then walked up to the front. Plain clothes WPD (or maybe he was a town marshal) was up front making time with the counter girl. He asked me if I had a license and asked asked him "which state do you want to see"?:supergrin:

I could have given him a raft of stuff, but flipped him my wallet to show my little pink card. He commented on all the other state licenses and then told me to "cover up."

I smiled reeeeaaaallll big :supergrin: and said "no, thank you."

rhino465
08-15-2006, 18:16
You're okay, KSF ... for an Englishman. :supergrin:

KSFreeman
08-16-2006, 05:36
Now . . . cut . . . that . . . out!

Geez, just because one's family, oh, nevermind.:upeyes: :supergrin:

rhino465
08-16-2006, 11:44
heh!

Hey, let's all get together for lunch some time soon and all carry openly.

I'm serious!

Either Lafayette or Indy works for me.

Warp
08-16-2006, 11:47
heh!

Hey, let's all get together for lunch some time soon and all carry openly.

I'm serious!

Either Lafayette or Indy works for me.

I vote Lafayette. :alien:

However I don't have an OWB holster at the moment, and I'm not sure how my little sub compact Glock would look....maybe it would be okay, I'm pretty skinny after all. :clown:

KSFreeman
08-16-2006, 16:02
O.K. with either Lafayette or Indy. It will be just like Gunsite or Boone County training!:supergrin:

sjstill
08-16-2006, 16:13
If it's Indy, count me in. Except on Thursdays. Or Saturdays or Sundays.....

SHINGLE MONKEY
08-16-2006, 16:54
Hum, I might have to make that lunch. Some place nice like PF Changs downtown....should be interesting.:alien:

FThorn
08-16-2006, 17:20
Let me know where, and I can sit a couple tables away with a camera should the SHTF! :)

toots shor
08-16-2006, 17:31
lol, i just got back on campus (wabash college). i have been open carrying around town this week. (btw, super wal-mart! lol) i store my firearms off campus in a safe place, but carry when i am off campus. Due to the heat recently i have been open.

the only time i ever got a comment was from a girl in indy. she commented to my friend "is that guy really packing?!" "that's scary".

all that said, i will keep an eye out for cville cops. most of them seem to be ok guys. but if i bump in to officer egomaniac i hope he dosnt give me problems.

rhino465
08-17-2006, 02:25
toots shor ... you should be okay. Just be prudent and make sure you conduct yourself as you know you should, dress neatly, use a holster, etc.

If we want one in Lafayette and Indy, I can do both!

Re: holsters ... I'll be doing it with IWB holsters. I have a Blackhawk SERPA OWB that I have specifically for open carry, but I'm waiting for a well known Kydex bender to fabricate a better (read: sturdier and more secure) belt loop for it.

IPDBrad
08-17-2006, 08:02
Does that fit the profile of a miscreant???

Is that a rhetorical question? :rollsmiley:

Count me in for the open carry lunch, if in Indy.

I will only go if Steve is there so that I can keep muttering miscreant under my breath.

Mondays/Fridays are bad for me.

kfoley
08-17-2006, 15:35
If it's in Indy, I'm up for it too. So long as it's not during the week.

R. Emmelman
08-17-2006, 21:41
You need to come to Eagle Creek Pistol Range on September 9th and then go to lunch after. See thread http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=579283

:)

minuteman32
08-18-2006, 11:07
I saw a tall, stocky black man in the Popeye's @ 38th & Keystone open carrying today. Looked to be a 4" wheel gun in a security holster & he didn't have a uniform on that I could tell.

IronHorseman
08-18-2006, 15:48
Originally posted by IPDBrad
Is that a rhetorical question? :rollsmiley:

Count me in for the open carry lunch, if in Indy.

I will only go if Steve is there so that I can keep muttering miscreant under my breath.

Mondays/Fridays are bad for me.

I miss all the fun.I wish I could justify the gas expenditure tohave lunch with you guys.I`m sure the Mrs would open carry too.

rhino465
08-18-2006, 15:52
How does Thursday the 24th sound to you guys for Indy?

Second choice: Tuesday the 22nd.

sjstill
08-18-2006, 16:04
22nd is better for me.

txgho1911
08-22-2006, 17:56
Anyone up for an open carry lunch as earlier mentioned?

rhino465
08-22-2006, 22:05
Uh, guys ... I don't want to nitpick, but, uh, yesterday was the 22nd and we were way, way past lunch time by the time you posted. :supergrin:

I'll be in Indy on Thursday if anyone wants to converge.

txgho1911
08-23-2006, 16:17
ok SOOOOOOO anyone up for an OC lunch in Indpls and maybe even downtown! OH the Horror.

If it happens at PFChangs at least a doz suits in the comp I work at will see, notice, and comment on the spot or in the hall. I would have to pass on wide open but I could join you for lunch most days.
Might participate fully if we ended up East of Meridian or North of Market. Gotta keep this job for 2 more years. Unless I find a better job sooner.

rhino465
08-25-2006, 08:57
Okay, this week is now over.

Next week is bad for me.

How do your schedules look for 04-08 SEP 2006?

Tuesday and Thursday (05 and 06 SEP) look okay for me right now.

rhino465
09-02-2006, 09:30
Let's try again.

I'm good for either Tuesday (05SEP06) or Thursday (07SEP06).

Anyone else?

sjstill
09-02-2006, 17:42
Either date works for me.

rhino465
09-02-2006, 18:05
Let's pick a place. Is there anywhere that would be more "friendly" toward us? Preferably on the west or northwest side?

sjstill
09-02-2006, 18:22
Well, in the Avon area, I've open carried at Moe's, McAllister's Deli, On The Border, Steak & Shake.

I think that's it. :supergrin: :upeyes:

KSFreeman
09-03-2006, 13:23
Open carried today after a day on the range.

No one in a Starbuck's in West Lafayette blinked.:supergrin:

rhino465
09-03-2006, 14:27
Okay ... looks like I'm booked on Thurday, so if I'm going to be there, it will be Tuesday.

Steve ... is Avon the best for you? If anyone else is interested, is Avon too far out?

KSF ... Your regal bearing derived from your noble birth prevents most affrontery! :supergrin:

So ... who else can make it on Tuesday (05SEP06)?

Or will it just be Steve and me? Two lone wolves, making a peaceful political statement for all?

Also ... if you're too wimpy to actually carry openly but want to join us anyway, that's okay too! :thumbsup:

R. Emmelman
09-03-2006, 18:26
I was in our favorite Mexican resturant when a well dressed gentleman took off his suitcoat revealing a Glock-22. Oh, wait, that was me.... Never mind.... :animlol:

sjstill
09-04-2006, 15:04
Joey, I'm open for anywhere Tuesday. I live by the airport, so I can get most anywhere.

rhino465
09-04-2006, 19:38
Steve, since no one else responded, I went ahead and made some other plans. I won't be able to make it to Indy tomorrow.

Let's do it next week some time, whether we carry openly or not, whether anyone else joins us or not.

minuteman32
09-05-2006, 07:14
I'd be happy to join y'all! I won't be free until after 4:30, or so each day (M-F), though. I would have to swing by home to regain my full rights as a citizen, too, as I work in a school and am relegated to 2nd class citizen status from the time I leave home until my return!:steamed:

rhino465
09-11-2006, 11:26
How do we look for this week on Tuesday (tomorrow) and Thursday?

Do we need to make it at lunch, or could be do a 1630-ish late lunch/early dinner or just a hangout so Dan can join us?

Hands? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

How about Grindstone Charley's in Speedway at 1630, either tomorrow or Thursday? You can eat or not, drink or not, and if you want to carry openly some of us will be doing so. If you don't feel comfy with it, you don't have to do it, but come anyway to hang out and enjoy the company.

What say ye?

sjstill
09-11-2006, 11:29
That sounds great, Rhino! I'm open for either day. AND, my lovely wife :hearts: is on vacation, so her and mini-me can attend also!!!

minuteman32
09-11-2006, 11:37
How do we look for this week on Tuesday (tomorrow) and Thursday?

Do we need to make it at lunch, or could be do a 1630-ish late lunch/early dinner or just a hangout so Dan can join us?

Hands? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

How about Grindstone Charley's in Speedway at 1630, either tomorrow or Thursday? You can eat or not, drink or not, and if you want to carry openly some of us will be doing so. If you don't feel comfy with it, you don't have to do it, but come anyway to hang out and enjoy the company.

What say ye?

How thoughtfull, Joe! I will be there! 1630, Grindstone Charley's in Speedway. My wife is on vacation, too. Maybe I can get her to o.c. as well!

Dan

sjstill
09-11-2006, 15:04
Ummmm, Tuesday or Thursday????

Or both??:supergrin:

rhino465
09-11-2006, 17:39
Let's do it tomorrow (Tuesday 12SEP06)

So ... it's:

Tuesday - 12SEP06
1630 hours (4:30 PM)
Grindstone Charley's in Speedway (in front of Kroger on C'ville road)

Let's meet in the parking lot so we can enter as a small group.

If we have enough fun, we can always do it again on Thursday. :supergrin:

epsylum
09-11-2006, 18:44
Let's do it tomorrow (Tuesday 12SEP06)

So ... it's:

Tuesday - 12SEP06
1630 hours (4:30 PM)
Grindstone Charley's in Speedway (in front of Kroger on C'ville road)

Let's meet in the parking lot so we can enter as a small group.

If we have enough fun, we can always do it again on Thursday. :supergrin:

Curse this second shift job!!

:supergrin:

Rikki
09-12-2006, 05:35
I don't have a real good rig for "OC" as you boyz call it- can I just bring my 12 gauge along and stand it in a corner while I eat?

rhino465
09-12-2006, 10:51
I'm just going to tuck my shirt in.

Well, and probably otherwise hide my other guns. ;)

R. Emmelman
09-12-2006, 12:33
The wife and I will try to make it.

rhino465
09-12-2006, 18:50
We actually had a good turnout this evening, even though they knew I would be there ahead of time. :supergrin:

R. Emmelman and spousal unit did indeed make it
sjstill was there, also with spousal unit and Mini-him
minuteman32 was there with spousal unit and his cool license plate
I was late ... as usual!

The food was good, the atmosphere fine, and the company was excellent!

Of the eight of us, six carried openly. We had zero problems with anyone. I did notice some curious glances (at the others in the party) from some people when we were outside the front door ready to depart, but it was obviously just some honest and natural curiosity as most people in Speedway don't often see six apparently normal people carrying openly.

I declare it a success on all counts.

We shall do it again soon, hopefully with more of you joining us.

sjstill
09-12-2006, 18:59
'Twas indeed a good time.

Warp
09-12-2006, 19:01
I may drive down from Lafayette to join you guys sometime.

I don't have an OWB holster yet. I could go for morale support or tuck my shirt in behind my Glock...probably don't have to worry much about gun grab if there are a half dozen armed citizens there. :supergrin:

sjstill
09-12-2006, 19:04
I wore my 1911 in my usual IWB holster, just tucked my shirt in.

rhino465
09-12-2006, 19:12
Warp ... five of the six of us (including me) were carrying in IWB holsters. We just either tucked in our shirts or removed whatever we normally use for concealment.

Actually, IWB probably offers better retention than a belt holster unless the belt holster has some kind of lock or special retention features (like police duty holsters).

I now have the custom belt loop on my Blackhawk SERPA holster, but I've not yet tested it on the range, so I don't want to carry with it "raw."

We could do something in Lafayette too. I suspect we could get His Lordship KSFreeman, the Earl of Earl Avenue, to join us, as well as a few others from the Lafayette area.

Warp
09-12-2006, 19:14
I can all but gurantee I would go, possibly with my fiance, if it were in Lafayette.

We have a lot of restaraunts to choose from, right down to our own Grindstone Charley's. :thumbsup:

R. Emmelman
09-12-2006, 20:58
--- snip ---
I did notice some curious glances (at the others in the party) from some people when we were outside the front door ready to depart, but it was obviously just some honest and natural curiosity as most people in Speedway don't often see six apparently normal people carrying openly.
:animlol: :rofl: :laughabove: :uglylol:

R. Emmelman
09-12-2006, 21:01
--- snip ---
minuteman32 was there with spousal unit and his cool license plate --- snip ---
I missed it. What does it say?

minuteman32
09-13-2006, 07:15
I missed it. What does it say?

"PRO 2A" It is framed by a Gun Owners of America license plate frame, too. Even @ that, I had a State Trooper ask what "PRO 2A stood for (he was filling out forms after I hit a deer).

rhino465
09-13-2006, 10:49
Hey! I'm normal!

Well, kinda. Sorta. In a special way.

If you squint your eyes and turn your head to the left. After you've spun around a few dozen times until you're dizzy. After a few (dozen) beers.

And you grew up in the circus.

In the late 50s.

After you were raised by wolves.

Bald, vegetarian wolves.

Under those circumstances, I think I could pass for normal.

AND ... more importantly ... I ate genuine vegetables at dinner last night, without the aid of any type of cheese sauce or deep frying or a large caliber weapon pointed at my pointed haid.

bradp
09-13-2006, 11:04
Yesterday, here at the dealership in Crawfordsville, a couple of gentlemen here on a dealer trade were open carrying. I talked with them both for a while and got to here story's about open carry. They were from Jasper. Of course we then started talking about all guns and everything else. I don't see open carry very often at work, but it was nice to see.

KSFreeman
09-13-2006, 11:43
How many children burst into flames after they saw the six of you complying with the law and not concealing?

Did you keep track or did you just not care?:50cal:

Dalton Wayne
09-13-2006, 11:48
Can someone from Florida with a Florida permit open carry in IN.

minuteman32
09-13-2006, 12:00
Hey! I'm normal!

Well, kinda. Sorta. In a special way.

If you squint your eyes and turn your head to the left. After you've spun around a few dozen times until you're dizzy. After a few (dozen) beers.

And you grew up in the circus.

In the late 50s.

After you were raised by wolves.

Bald, vegetarian wolves.

Under those circumstances, I think I could pass for normal.

AND ... more importantly ... I ate genuine vegetables at dinner last night, without the aid of any type of cheese sauce or deep frying or a large caliber weapon pointed at my pointed haid.

Joe, are you talking to those voices in your head again?! Now we've talked about this... voices bad ... don't listen to them. They are little demons sent to you from Julias HQ to distract you & make you do bad things. :banana: :tongueout: :thumbsup:

KSFreeman
09-13-2006, 12:08
Dalton, take a gander at Indiana Code 35-47-2-21(b). Indiana recognizes the licenses of all states and foreign countries only by the terms thereof.

IIRC, Florida's license requires concealment, thus you must carry as if you were in Florida--so, cover up and wear black socks with sandals, wear giant oversized sunglasses, drive at least 20 mph under the speed limit and you may wish to have a golf cart handy, have dinner at 4:30 pm after you stand in line for your food and you must carry photos of your grandchildren with you at all times, just like Florida. (we kid because we love, Dalton!):banana:

bradp
09-13-2006, 12:56
Originally posted by KSFreeman
How many children burst into flames after they saw the six of you complying with the law and not concealing?

That reminds me, my Glock jumped out of my holster on it's own, then hit me in the head and shot 5 children and 3 elderly people and was never touched!!! Amazing what some people think, isn't it?

boby
09-13-2006, 19:10
Originally posted by bradp
That reminds me, my Glock jumped out of my holster on it's own, then hit me in the head and shot 5 children and 3 elderly people and was never touched!!! Amazing what some people think, isn't it?

Thats because its the evil color of *shudder* "assault weapon black"!!!

If all guns were coated with a "tye-dye" patteren, everything would be fine.

rhino465
09-13-2006, 19:56
Yesterday, here at the dealership in Crawfordsville, a couple of gentlemen here on a dealer trade were open carrying. I talked with them both for a while and got to here story's about open carry. They were from Jasper. Of course we then started talking about all guns and everything else. I don't see open carry very often at work, but it was nice to see.

Which reminds me that I still have not stopped by to see you there. Every time I pass the dealership, it's either closed or I'm in a hurry because I'm late for ... something!

rhino465
09-13-2006, 20:03

The latter, obviously!

We were too busy displaying our obvious signs of "immaturity" and exhibiting our clinically diagnosed "child-like need to draw attention to oneself, and scare women and kids in the check-out line at the supermarket" to care about the dozens of children bursting into flames.

Of course, when the fire alarms and sprinklers started working, it should have been a clue to us. :thumbsup:

rhino465
09-13-2006, 20:04
Originally posted by minuteman32
Joe, are you talking to those voices in your head again?! Now we've talked about this... voices bad ... don't listen to them. They are little demons sent to you from Julias HQ to distract you & make you do bad things. :banana: :tongueout: :thumbsup:

I probably should have worn my tinfoil hat. Or maybe I need to quit cheeking my meds when the aide brings them to my cel...er...room.

:supergrin:

rhino465
09-13-2006, 20:09
Using my British Solicitor Humor & Sarcasm Decoder Filter (BSHSDF), the quoted text below translates to:

"Yes, Dalton. You have the option of lawfully carrying openly in Indiana."

You'll have to forgive our resident barrister. His powdered wig is a little too tight. :supergrin:

Dalton, take a gander at Indiana Code 35-47-2-21(b). Indiana recognizes the licenses of all states and foreign countries only by the terms thereof.

IIRC, Florida's license requires concealment, thus you must carry as if you were in Florida--so, cover up and wear black socks with sandals, wear giant oversized sunglasses, drive at least 20 mph under the speed limit and you may wish to have a golf cart handy, have dinner at 4:30 pm after you stand in line for your food and you must carry photos of your grandchildren with you at all times, just like Florida. (we kid because we love, Dalton!):banana:

bradp
09-14-2006, 06:28
Which reminds me that I still have not stopped by to see you there. Every time I pass the dealership, it's either closed or I'm in a hurry because I'm late for ... something!

Excuses,excuses!!! I was wondering if you were going to stop by sometime. I'm here everyday except for Tuesday's and of course Sundays.

rhino465
09-14-2006, 13:04
Okay, I am ashamed!

BUT ... since you don't work on Tuesdays, you should have been at our gathering in Speedway on Tuesday!

So there!

bradp
09-14-2006, 15:12
Okay, I am ashamed!

BUT ... since you don't work on Tuesdays, you should have been at our gathering in Speedway on Tuesday!

So there!

What gathering?

F350
09-14-2006, 15:55
OK I have been gone from my native Hoosierland for 10 years now.....When did all this OPEN CARRY start????? I applied for my first "Personal Protection" permit on my 18th birthday in.....well never mind...and carried for over 20 years. It was always keep it concealed; NEVER saw anyone but police open carry.

Real glad to see Indiana honors other permits as I still have family there and go back at least once a year. In fact my nephew is getting married the first of OCT so I will be headed back shortly (DAMN THE PDRIL)

Warp
09-14-2006, 15:58
I saw somebody carrying openly in Lafayette's new Sportsman's Warehouse today. Had an auto loader with a grip safety (might have been springfield XD) in his back jeans pocket, sticking out noticeably with no shirt to cover it.

Want to guess what he was looking at?

Holsters. :banana:

rhino465
09-14-2006, 19:44
What gathering?

See page three onward of this topic. Eight of us met at Grindstone Charley's on Tuesday.

We'll discuss future get togethers in this topic as well.

rhino465
09-14-2006, 19:46
Let's hear voices ... who wants to meet in Lafayette next week?

Warp
09-14-2006, 20:17

aye!

:)

bradp
09-15-2006, 06:04

I know there is a meeting and I cant be there. We are having a sale and there are no days off, so I'll be working Monday-Saturday 8-8. This sucks.

Snowman92D
09-15-2006, 09:42
Originally posted by F350
OK I have been gone from my native Hoosierland for 10 years now.....When did all this OPEN CARRY start????? I applied for my first "Personal Protection" permit on my 18th birthday in.....well never mind...and carried for over 20 years. It was always keep it concealed; NEVER saw anyone but police open carry.

It's called getting in touch with your inner child. :rollsmiley:

sjstill
09-15-2006, 14:08
Originally posted by F350

The bottom line is, it ISN"T illegal for us mere citizens to open carry (with proper license, of course - Thank you 'O Benevolent Government for licensing and regulating my Second Amendment right.....).

While it may not always make good sense to open carry in some locales/situations, we should not be made to feel like we are breaking some rule when we do decide to carry openly (or we are acting in a childish manner).

I've had way more positive encounters while open carrying than negative (ie, no screaming soccer mom's or kids...).

rhino465
09-15-2006, 14:39

I've had way more positive encounters while open carrying than negative (ie, no screaming soccer mom's or kids...).

Impossible! That could never happen since "everyone knows" that you were only displaying your immaturity and childishly seeking attention. The fact that what you say is true and that it mirrors pretty much all of the rest of our collective experience is meaningless! You can't confuse the issue with logic and facts when "long held" beliefs conflict with them.

:rollingeyes:

rhino465
09-15-2006, 15:03
Contact was established with BradP at his place of employment this afternoon. I believe we intiated the talks for a mutual defense agreement in the event of hostile invasion of the Crawfordsville area. We'll call it "CATO," for Crawfordsville Area Treaty Organization.

epsylum
09-15-2006, 15:17
Contact was established with BradP at his place of employment this afternoon. I believe we intiated the talks for a mutual defense agreement in the event of hostile invasion of the Crawfordsville area. We'll call it "CATO," for Crawfordsville Area Treaty Organization.

Does this count for the cybernation.net game? Because I am TOTALLY taking over central Indiana on there. :supergrin:

rhino465
09-15-2006, 16:36
Originally posted by epsylum
Does this count for the cybernation.net game? Because I am TOTALLY taking over central Indiana on there. :supergrin:

Nah, that's too advanced for us!

But you have to agree to hide us when they balloon goes up and our tinfoil hats turn out to be have been a wise precaution after all. :supergrin:

epsylum
09-15-2006, 16:41
Nah, that's too advanced for us!

But you have to agree to hide us when they balloon goes up and our tinfoil hats turn out to be have been a wise precaution after all. :supergrin:

Remember, THEY are watching us.

By "they" I mean Major League Baseball. ;)

Warp
09-15-2006, 19:21
Originally posted by epsylum
Remember, THEY are watching us.

By "they" I mean Major League Baseball. ;)

Via satellite, right?

Do you have access to a tank....? :supergrin:

KSFreeman
09-16-2006, 08:13
Good work, rhino. You have established a hedgehog on the vital 231 corridor.:banana:

I have the front door up here in Lafayette. Remember, for every step the space aliens take on our soil, they lose a life!:supergrin:

rhino465
09-16-2006, 09:08
We still need to recruit football legend and egregiously bad actor Jim Brown to punch them in their helmets in case our guns don't work.

If he can't handle them, our last resort will have to be Chuck Norris and his kicks.

bradp
09-16-2006, 12:11
I am here and ready!!Chuck Norris is my wing man...or is that I am his wing man!!!

FThorn
12-02-2006, 18:56
saw another open carry just now. Indy, Emerson and Thompson Ponderosa. IWB, with untucked shirt EXCEPT for immediately behind the gun. It was tucked to actually 'show' the gun.

MikeL74
12-04-2006, 17:14
A while back I stopped for milk at the gas station at my exit off I-70 and the guy in line in front of me had a Glock and two spare mags on his belt. Was wearing a T-shirt and longish hair, and IIRC was driving an Escort or something similar. Definitely didn't look like a cop. Girl behind the counter didn't seem to notice.

I've had the IWB uncovered when getting mower gas there numerous times (pay at the pump) and I only recall one odd look from anyone at the other pumps, probably an out-of-stater. Been inside a couple of times with no problems. Same thing at the station at the Brazil exit.

Not OC, but one time I was at the Longhorn in Avon and an older guy 2 tables over bent over to pick up a dropped fork and his vest rode up to reveal his CCW. Nobody from the staff was around to notice and we were the only other people in that section.

Q-Ball
12-22-2006, 01:35
Several comments.
1: I am a card carrying, dyed in the wool hoosier
2: I am ashamed gentelmen, ASHAMED, that I never bothered to peruse the statutes sufficiently to learn that I could indeed carry openly.
I've been carrying since I was 20 which is going on 20 years ago, for whatever reason I thought you had to keep it hid, or at least in my case anymore make some desultory effort to do so. Oddly as 40 gets nearer I realize that staying completely concealed 100% of the time has joined the rapidly growing list of things that I don't give a Rat's Ass about. Also I drive through Indy on my way too parts north, Chicago and Milwaukee at least twice or three times a month. Perhaps I can join you all in one of the OC dinners sometime!
A funny anecdote for you since you are fellow hoosiers and will no doubt get a kick out of it. I was sitting at the bar in the Holiday Inn in Champaign Il. As I nurse my beer and watch all the old people wander about trying to find their rooms I overhear a gun related conversation three stools down. I start paying attention and realize that one half of the conversation is a Glock factory Rep. The other half of the conversation takes off and I go sit next to the glock guy to pick his brain. As it turns out the guy is indeed a Glock rep, he sells to police departments and does transition training. He's a Wisconsin native and we talk about this and that mostly about the lamentable state of affairs in Illinois I finally ask him when the Wisconsinites are going to get their act together and get som CCW legislation in place. He says he doesn't know, the hoplophobes keep wetting their panties over the deal. We then discussed the state of affairs in Indiana which had him smiling and shaking his head. He commented on the fact that a lot of people seem to carry in Indiana and no one really acts like it's a big deal, just business as usual. I told him that overall we are hoosiers are a pretty levelheaded and pragmatic lot.
Q

KSFreeman
12-22-2006, 12:37
Q, yeah, nobody is sawing that Open Carry may be always a bright idea, but it is legal under Indiana law. Rights are like muscles or stretching, use them or lose them.

Cheeseheads got stabbed in the back. They will win eventually up there.

rhino465
12-23-2006, 14:18
It would suck to be a factory rep for a gun manufacturer and have to do business in places like Illinois where you can't carry legally.

Nothing like a few functional samples inaccessible for use for defense, but very attractive to THIEVES with no effective means for protecting yourself while carrying/driving them around.

IronHorseman
04-06-2007, 20:27
It`s almost open carry season.

boby
04-06-2007, 20:41
It`s almost open carry season.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

TheGrip
04-06-2007, 20:59
Originally posted by Hoosierdaddy_X4
I thought State Park carry was a "No-No" here in Indiana.
(Not that it has ever stopped me) Correct me if I am wrong.
According to Indiana Criminal Code state parks are perfectly fine to carry in. The DNR has an administrative policy against it, and I am unsure exactly what weight that carries. In order to be 100% you would have to consult legal advice. Since it is not listed in the criminal code I believe it to be okay, I simply make sure to conceal very well when I am in a state park as I wouldn't want to get kicked out...
Just thought I'd chime in brothers. You might find this interesting.

Saturday, September 23, 2006
Ind. Law - DNR lifts ban on handguns in state parks

Yesterday a number of Indiana papers reported that handguns will no longer be banned in state parks.
Here is the Indianapolis Star report, written by Will Higgins. Some quotes:

It's now legal to carry a handgun in Indiana's state parks, a move seen as the latest victory for the gun lobby in Indiana.

In the past, you had to keep your piece locked in your car. But under a provisional rule change, announced Thursday by the Department of Natural Resources, licensed handgun owners can pack while birding, hiking, picnicking -- whatever. * * *

DNR Director Kyle Hupfer * * * said he came under no political pressure to change park handgun restrictions. "This is just (a regulation) I found and brought to the attention of the governor," he said. "We've been trying to slowly work our way through all aspects of the agency." * * *

In defending the move, Hupfer, who is rarely seen without a holstered pistol, said a gun could come in handy in the woods should a hiker happen upon people making methamphetamine, an illegal drug that can make its users antagonistic. The drug is often brewed in rural, out-of-the-way places.

"If my life or my wife's life was at risk," Hupfer said, "I want to be in a position to protect her and myself."

The DNR statement notes that by state law, the DNR director has authority to temporarily modify rules for the DNR. Such modifications are valid for a maximum of one year and can be renewed for an additional period not to exceed one year. In order for any DNR rule modification to become permanent, it must be approved by the NRC after successfully passing through a review process, including a public hearing. Once a rule becomes permanent, it has indefinite legal application but must undergo "sunset" evaluation every seven years.

:thumbsup:

R. Emmelman
04-07-2007, 06:26
My question (although moot for the moment) is does (did) the DNR have the authority to restrict carrying of firearms. The Indiana Code that establishes the DNR specifically states they can enact administrative rules to run the parks and protect the park assets. One could argue that by adopting a no guns policy in state parks that they have overstepped their state granted authority.

FThorn
04-28-2007, 19:48
Saw a lady open carrying a large semi-auto at Grindstone Charley's in Greenwood tonight. The man she was with was not carrying, it appeared. Her pistol was exposed to the 'aisle' between the tables against the wall, and the booths against the windows. No one seemed to notice/care, really.

rhino465
04-29-2007, 21:13
Open carry at the Grindstone Charley's in Speedway is becoming more and more common with zero problems. Maybe it's a Grindstone Charley's thing!

agentl074
04-30-2007, 00:02
Also here our reserve police officers can carry as long as they possess a permit; so before they are in uniform they can carry outside of duty openly. On duty - new reserves can carry as long as they are certified and qualify on the range.

Prometheus77
05-11-2007, 20:30
This evening around 1930hrs, Meijer in Highland... My wife and I open carried matching bi-tone XD9's w/dual mag holders.

I think only a few people noticed and no cared. A positive experience and my first OC in a major store in this type of area.

rhino465
05-12-2007, 20:16
Originally posted by Prometheus77
This evening around 1930hrs, Meijer in Highland... My wife and I open carried matching bi-tone XD9's w/dual mag holders.

I think only a few people noticed and no cared. A positive experience and my first OC in a major store in this type of area.

Well done!

cadillacguns
03-18-2009, 05:43
Around X-mas a couple yeras ago in Indy somewhere an obvious store "Mall Ninja" rent a cop, with a dual shoulder holster and two LORCIN .25 autos under his shoulder, man I just burst out laughing, that was too funny!

I have the lifetime CCW, and thats the ticket, no one but me knows what, when, which Glock and where I am carrying!

IronHorseman
03-21-2009, 13:04
Around X-mas a couple yeras ago in Indy somewhere an obvious store "Mall Ninja" rent a cop, with a dual shoulder holster and two LORCIN .25 autos under his shoulder, man I just burst out laughing, that was too funny!

I have the lifetime CCW, and thats the ticket, no one but me knows what, when, which Glock and where I am carrying!

You don`t have " The Lifetime CCW" you have a lifetime license to carry a handgun no concealment required.

revguy216
03-30-2009, 22:57
Hey everyone. Is there anyone from the south bend area on here? If so, just seeing if anyone wanted to go to the range sometime. Just bought my new glock 23 and want to spend some time at the range. Maybe learn a few things.

SBG40
04-01-2009, 12:19
HEY whats the fuss about open carry here in the GREAT STATE OF INDIANA , i have done it many times and have not had a bad incounter with a leo, and i plan on doing it today at wal-mart on George town rd. but if you do it do it with your LTCH if you don't you will go to jail...