Need fellow veterans advice: Headaches, lack of sleep, etc. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need fellow veterans advice: Headaches, lack of sleep, etc.

16vmkII
08-15-2006, 01:20
I'm wrapping up my deployment in Mosul, Iraq and I seem to be plagued by daily migraines, bouts of extreme internal anger, lack of sleep (2-3 hours max), bad dreams, etc. Did you guys experience similar things? If so, how did you deal with it? I've been struggling the past 6 months or so and I kind of feel like I'm spiraling out of control. Thanks.

hi speed
08-15-2006, 01:23
It's called PTSD! I have bad dreams of a lot of things I saw but what's really freaky is I also have a very vivid dream of something that never happened.:freak:

hi speed
08-15-2006, 01:32
The anger seems to get farther out of control as things that I can't control grow and multiply. I'm out of the Army now so I try to surround myself with people who are vets and have gone through it. It has gotten to be tolerable but it will never subside from what I hear.

Sleep is always cut short by cold sweats and horror flicks. The price we pay for what we've endured. I have found no cure or substance that eliviates this curse. No amount of drink or drug helps. 2 Trazadones and I'm out only for about 2.5 hours max.

I hope we get some more replies cuz I'm in the same boat brother.

Hi Speed

16vmkII
08-15-2006, 01:51
HS,

I figured it was that ****, PTSD. I'm in the single digits as far as weeks remaining in theatre. I just got to dig down deep inside and suck it up until I get home. If you're a praying man, please pray I hold my **** together.

Thanks.

hi speed
08-15-2006, 02:00
Already done. If you need to talk man send me a PM. What Div. are you in. I was 1st. BGD 4ID out of hood.

16vmkII
08-15-2006, 04:27
47th Combat Support Hospital
30th Med BDE
303 COSCOM
MNFI

Sapperstang
08-15-2006, 13:05
I served in Afghanistan when the WOT first started. I had some of what you describe to a degree. It has passed except for a few dreams and stuff every now and then. Loud unexpected noises are the worst or anything resembling the sound of an incoming mortar. Course my experience was for a shorter duration and probably not quite as bad as what you guys in Iraq have dealt with. Please be sure you speak with somebody concerning this problem. Don't they give counseling or something for PTSD now?

jmshady
08-15-2006, 18:25
Originally posted by 16vmkII
47th Combat Support Hospital
30th Med BDE
303 COSCOM
MNFI

Hang in there Brother, I spent most of my time "unofficially" attached to the 332 EMDG in Balad. Spent many a night in the ER wanting to kill the next Hadji that came in. Shoot me a message and I'll tell you what I had to deal with when I came home. I used the Vet Center in town and it was a great help for me.

hi speed
08-16-2006, 23:07
Originally posted by jmshady
Hang in there Brother, I spent most of my time "unofficially" attached to the 332 EMDG in Balad. Spent many a night in the ER wanting to kill the next Hadji that came in. Shoot me a message and I'll tell you what I had to deal with when I came home. I used the Vet Center in town and it was a great help for me.

The VA in Columbia S.C. has helped me greatly concerning my injuries and coping with the BS. jmshady is quite right about that.

Things will be more bareable and you'll see things a little differently upon your return home.

JimmyMN
08-17-2006, 11:56
I can only comment on one thing that I know for sure--VA will take care of you. You may complain about how slow they are, etc, but if you have a service-connected ailment, your country will stand by you for the rest of your life.

After returning from Vietnam in 1970, some 36 years later I'm 100% service-connected disabled, total and permanent, from a disease linked to Agent Orange exposure. VA provides compensation and medical care for me; there's no other country on this planet that will stand beside their veterans like that...do your job, get home, and get some help. Above all, don't go into denial or get frustrated and give up with VA.

Revelations
08-17-2006, 15:10
Originally posted by JimmyMN
I can only comment on one thing that I know for sure--VA will take care of you. You may complain about how slow they are, etc, but if you have a service-connected ailment, your country will stand by you for the rest of your life.

After returning from Vietnam in 1970, some 36 years later I'm 100% service-connected disabled, total and permanent, from a disease linked to Agent Orange exposure. VA provides compensation and medical care for me; there's no other country on this planet that will stand beside their veterans like that...do your job, get home, and get some help. Above all, don't go into denial or get frustrated and give up with VA.

+1000

Check with the local VA when you get back. Id also checking into some kind of counseling. Theres nothing wrong with it.I had some when I returned from the sandbox back in the early 90s. It helped.

Stay Safe

td.trmntr
08-18-2006, 14:58
I think we've all experienced PTSD to a certain degree. Hang in there, bro. It all passes in time. Above posts are right. The VA will help you. First thing to do, finish your deployment ALIVE. Coming home will help the healing process begin.

God Bless
From a retired paratrooper

16vmkII
08-19-2006, 01:02
I appreciate the responses and IM's. God bless you guys.

I came back from Tikrit, feeling fairly lousy after not sleeping much while down there. The first thing I did, was go to our TOC to find out all I could about what had been going on, etc. in my absence. One of my good buddy's was brought up as he was being medivaced out that evening for Severe Depression/Suicidal Ideations. It kind of snapped me out of my funk, because I realized I only have like 54 days or something and it's not that bad.

Thanks again!

A_Swede_17_1911
08-19-2006, 09:59
Go talk to a doctor, I finally whent because I was having night tremors, night sweats, wake up angry in the middle of the night, I would shout things out in my sleep.

I started taking an anit depresent and and anti anxity medicication, and it really helps out.

Im recruiting now, and its stressfull, a different kinda stress that from deployments, but a stress that consumes you, and so it aggravated what I had held over from deyployments.

Go get checked out and just be honest with you Doctor, its not worth it getting out of control. I lost total interest in the things that I enjoyed, and was tearing my personal relationships apart. The medication is working, I never realized how unhappy, before I was.

Deftanker
08-22-2006, 07:46
I appreciate the responses and IM's. God bless you guys.

I came back from Tikrit, feeling fairly lousy after not sleeping much while down there. The first thing I did, was go to our TOC to find out all I could about what had been going on, etc. in my absence. One of my good buddy's was brought up as he was being medivaced out that evening for Severe Depression/Suicidal Ideations. It kind of snapped me out of my funk, because I realized I only have like 54 days or something and it's not that bad.

Thanks again!

Among the other members advice here I think you should also be proud of yourself. You have been through things that the people around here (stateside) will never know. Make sure that YOU know that what you have been through and done was necessary. Your fellow man/woman has depended on you and you have stepped up to the plate (I am not necassarily talking about the civilians stateside either although I believe it to be true).

I had nightmares during and after the first gulf war for a long time (still do occassionally), and the worst part is that I wasn't deployed. I spent my time training IRR's and sitting on tarmacs. The worst got to me. Please do not feel I am trying to compare mine with yours but I know that waking up in the middle of the night in panic or on guard is no fun. I talked it out a lot with my family who were fortunately all vets. My cousin and I have been talking a lot and he returned from Iraq last spring.

Remember, there are friends out there you can talk to with their own opinions on how to deal with the nightmares. Listen to them, one of them may work. Most importantly, don't give up.

Be proud of yourself for I am proud of you. Thank you for your service.

crater
08-29-2006, 07:39

JimmyMN or any others that can help. Is there a special department that I should see. I left the Nam in 66 , had a operation on my back in 67 requiring 30 day hospital stay, Non combat related. Since I came back, I can not stand any holiday which has fireworks related to it. If I can see them, I'm O.K. but usually, I go to bed with the windows closed before it get's dark on any day I know there will be fireworks. I'm just not looking into going on Disability due to two more back surgery's , three heart attacks, and most recently (in the last year) flashbacks/visions of Nam. I can't turn away from the TV when anything war related is going on. Rather it be Irag, Iran, Israel, the North Korean conflict etc. I live alone and have no real friends. I'm on a pain patch, Percocet, mussule relaxers. I have been approved for VA medical, but thought I had to be unemployed or totally disabled to take advantage of it. Just today I informed my employeer that I was no longer able to work and was seeking SS Disablity. They told me it would be a least four months before they made a decision. I don't know how I'm going to live for four months and then what happens if they turn me down?

I have heard that the VA might be able to assist me in obtaining Disablity.

Very sorry to let go like this on this thread, but I am scared and just came across this thread. Anybody that can help clear my head?
Words of wisdom, etc?

Thanks for listening.

Revelations
08-29-2006, 10:13
Originally posted by crater
JimmyMN or any others that can help. Is there a special department that I should see. I left the Nam in 66 , had a operation on my back in 67 requiring 30 day hospital stay, Non combat related. Since I came back, I can not stand any holiday which has fireworks related to it. If I can see them, I'm O.K. but usually, I go to bed with the windows closed before it get's dark on any day I know there will be fireworks. I'm just not looking into going on Disability due to two more back surgery's , three heart attacks, and most recently (in the last year) flashbacks/visions of Nam. I can't turn away from the TV when anything war related is going on. Rather it be Irag, Iran, Israel, the North Korean conflict etc. I live alone and have no real friends. I'm on a pain patch, Percocet, mussule relaxers. I have been approved for VA medical, but thought I had to be unemployed or totally disabled to take advantage of it. Just today I informed my employeer that I was no longer able to work and was seeking SS Disablity. They told me it would be a least four months before they made a decision. I don't know how I'm going to live for four months and then what happens if they turn me down?

Very sorry to let go like this on this thread, but I am scared and just came across this thread. Anybody that can help clear my head?
Words of wisdom, etc?

Thanks for listening.

crater

Contact your local VA reps. Your state and county should have one. You might even consider contacting one of the local VFW or American Legions. Should be a few guys there that have gone thru the same thing you are and could defiently be helpful to you in this time of need. Stay strong man...just remember you deserve every program the VA offers for you. Take advantage of it...and use it all.

Revelations

DennisP
08-29-2006, 10:23
Crater,
Get with the Disabled American Vets (DAV) they will be able to help you. They are like a pitbull when it comes to getting benifits for VETS. Be patient and get what ever paperwork your DAV rep needs and hang in there.

16vMK11,
When you get back to the states, check in to getting medical attention. I am confident they will have an outproccessing physical for you and you can voice your concerns then. If that doesn't happen you can always go to the VA. They have a program now where discharged troops get the first two years or so of free medical treatment. Most important thing to remember is that you are not the first person to go through this and you won't be the last. If you have any problems with the VA send me a PM with the problem and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

Dennis P.

Blitzer
08-29-2006, 11:30

And how long did it take the VA to recognize Agent Orange poisoning?

DennisP
08-29-2006, 15:15
Blitzer,
The VA use to be horriable but it has changed greatly. The VA is now what it should have always been and we are getting better every year.

Dennis P.

crater
09-02-2006, 13:46
Originally posted by DennisP
Blitzer,
The VA use to be horriable but it has changed greatly. The VA is now what it should have always been and we are getting better every year.

Dennis P.

Dennis, are you involved with the VA? I have my first appointment with a VA Doctor on the 20th, but don't know how he might be involved, as far as trying to assist me with any disability. Would you mind, if you are assoicated with the VA, if I send you a PM?

Thanks

DriBak
09-03-2006, 13:43
A portion of disability is from PTSD (Desert Storm), I get medication and counseling from the VA

DennisP
09-03-2006, 15:45
Crater,
I am a Police officer (actually the training LT for the Tampa VA Police) for the VA here in Tampa. If you have a question or a problem I can most likely point you in the right direction.

I am also a Vet and if I can help you out feel free to shoot me a PM.

Dennis P.

AK_Stick
09-04-2006, 01:21
bro, if you need someone to talk with, just drop me a line anytime.

Blitzer
09-04-2006, 01:41
Originally posted by crater

Words of wisdom, etc?

Thanks for listening.

I am a post Vietnam vet, entered the service a few months after the offical fray ended. I have been there, get to the VA ASAP and file! You don't have to be unemployed to take advantage of the VA's services, who told you that crap?

File for disability and contact the local Salvation Army, Disabilites services office, etc now! :shocked:

There are groups at the VA and local Disabilities services that are free and can help you through this time, check with Catholic charites for rent, food, and utilities assitance now that they have gotton new funding for the fiscal year, DON't GIVE UP brother. :thumbsup: :hearts:

DennisP
09-04-2006, 10:30
Crater,
Contact the Disabled American Veteran's office (DAV) near you as soon as you can. They will be able to straighten all the misinformation you have been given. They are the pitbull for the Americvan veteran. If for some reason they can not help you they will direct you to someone who can.
Good luck and hang in there Brother things will get better.
Dennis P.

crater
09-07-2006, 13:13
Thanks to all who have provided some good information. I have a scheduled appt with a VA REP on the 18th. I am going to talk to him about assitance with disablilty before I agree to pay an attorney 25% to fight the case, if I am turned downed by filing on my own.

16vmkII, sorry again for getting involved on your original post, but hopefully, I can learn something and share it with you.

Thanks again to everybody.:beer: :patriot:

ShawnT
09-07-2006, 18:28
I've been out for almost 10 years now and still have the problems your having but have kind of learned to live with it, medications help.

16vmkII
09-08-2006, 10:46
My buddy, was recently diagnosed out here in theater with a service-related mental illness, and was medavaced home. Unfortunately, he killed himself last night. Madigan screwed up ****ing big time by having him be an out-patient, rather than admitting him...life's sucking for my unit right now :(

crater
09-08-2006, 11:54
My buddy, was recently diagnosed out here in theater with a service-related mental illness, and was medavaced home. Unfortunately, he killed himself last night. Madigan screwed up ****ing big time by having him be an out-patient, rather than admitting him...life's sucking for my unit right now :(

My prayers are with his family, your self, your unit and all the troops.
I am relating to you in such a way, that I cannot explain, but I will try. This,in no way is an attempt, to try and ease your pain, but here goes. 30 years ago, a Viet Vet was being treated for mental illness in the local VA hospital, he was relased against the wishes of his parents. They tried to get him re-submitted, but the VA hospital refused to take him back. The next day, he shot and killed my dad. To this day he is still being held in mental instutions, although some people have been trying to get him released on supervised conditions. This is only meant as a means to let you know that if you need to talk to someone, please feel free to PM me.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. I'm not very good at expressing what I want to say.

Bless you all.

DriBak
09-15-2006, 17:53

Sorry to hear that