Secure SUV cargo storage [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Secure SUV cargo storage

leadcounsel
08-15-2006, 18:40
I have a 2004 4Runner.

I'm interested in a lockable box for the rear cargo area, which would take up about 1/3rd of the available space. I'm intending to store your typical roadside emergency gear but want it to be secured and lockable for other valuable items, including a laptop, truck gun, ammo, or anything else one might want to secure.

I built one from plywood and 2x4s and it turned out okay, but it's extremely heavy at about 100 lbs. I'd like something of durable plastic that weights a lot less.

OR,

I once saw a product that replaced the vacant space beneath the rear seats with a drawer. Anyone know of such a product?

OR,

I'm considering a steel or aluminum full or pickup truck style lockable wing style or traditional lid.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Three-Five-Seven
08-16-2006, 00:20
Yup, do what I did: Get a Honda Ridgeline and you get a trunk along with your pickup bed. The design is great and the truck is absolutely fabulous in every respect.

leadcounsel
08-16-2006, 00:29
Great idea! I think I'll just go out and spend $30,000 for a new vehicle just so I can have a trunk.

Actually, I'm thinking along the lines of a steel or aluminum truck tool box. Used they're about $100.

Asha'man
08-16-2006, 21:26
Originally posted by leadcounsel
Great idea! I think I'll just go out and spend $30,000 for a new vehicle just so I can have a trunk.

Don't forget that you'd be seriously downgrading as far as offroad capability. :)

A metal box is probably your best bet. I know stuff rolls around in the back of my '86 all the time and it's hard to keep valuables back there because it's so open.

Brian

Ljunatic
08-16-2006, 21:33
SUV Cargo caddy (http://www.suvcargocaddy.com/index.html)

I have not used one , so I don't know how secure the locks are. Price is reasonable