ANY GM's or MA's here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ANY GM's or MA's here

TexasGlock23
08-15-2006, 19:26
I scored high enough to be one. Tell me the good, bad and ugly please!

Thanks

TexasGlock23
08-15-2006, 19:26
I didnt score high enough for intel:frown:

TexasGlock23
08-16-2006, 21:21
So there aren't any Master at Arms or Gunner's Mate here?

DHansen
08-19-2006, 15:34
I'm not a Gunner's Mate or an MA, but I've served alongside both.

As a Gunner's Mate (GM), you can expect to maintaining things along the lines of 5 inch gun mounts, VLS launching systems, M242 25mm Bushmaster, etc. You could also end up down in the Armory, cleaning and maintaining small arms. You'll also work as a range officer during small arm qualifications. Now... the not so great side.

You'll also do things like ammo on loads (long days in the heat), work on less glorious systems (but no less important) like magazine sprinklers, and clean small arms. Cleaning small arms isn't so great when you didn't get to shoot any of them. Also, expect to stand security watches. There are also going to be a myriad of other things that you'll go up against. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a Gunner's Mate. You don't normally get to fire any of the weapons you maintain.

Master At Arms (MA). Security, security, security. MAs are all about security in one way or another. Gate watch, guarding a pier, rolling around in squad car on base, watching restricted personnel, standing watch at the end of a pier with a rifle, cruising the water line in a small boat. Expect to spend a lot of boring time on your feet, checking IDs and the like. If you're going to go MA, try and go K-9, or something along those lines.

Between the two, I'd say GM. They have pretty decent advancement, and you do get to play with weapons a lot more often.

Hope that helps!

TexasGlock23
08-19-2006, 16:31
Thanks, what about the deployment rate? I am not worried about going anywhere at anytime, but I am getting married soon and would love to be here with here a bit in the beginning. I will choose my job monday at MEPS

DHansen
08-19-2006, 16:44
Deployment rate is difficult to predict right now.

MAs are getting tapped pretty regularly to go to Iraq and Afghanistan.

As a GM, your chances of going to a ship out of "A" school are pretty good. Truly though, that's where you want to be for your first tour. Once you get to the ship, it all depends on the schedule.

I checked into my first ship in September, and deployed for 6 months in December of the following year.

aomagrat
08-19-2006, 18:56
I was a GMT before Clinton took over and killed my job. I've also worked with MA's. I'll second DHansen and advise you to go GM. If you go MA you can expect to spend a lot of time on Operation Golden Flow, and I'd not wish that on anyone.

TexasGlock23
08-19-2006, 19:28
Originally posted by aomagrat
MA you can expect to spend a lot of time on Operation Golden Flow, and I'd not wish that on anyone.

what is that? Well, what suggestions do you have? I want to do something I am interested in like guns or LEO. But I don't want to be on a ship a majority of the time. I guess I can not have my cake and eat it too.

aomagrat
08-19-2006, 19:51
Originally posted by TexasGlock23
what is that?

You get to watch people pee into little bottles.

I guess one way to have your cake and eat it too, is sign up as a GM, then after your first duty station, request the Navy Law Enforcement School (NEC 9545). Then you can remain a Gunners Mate, while standing duty as a LEO at your next duty station. That's what I did. I signed up as a GMT, did my first tour on the USS Enterprise, then went to Navy Law Enforcement School, got the 9545 NEC, then spent my shore duty running radar, writing tickets, breaking up fights, busting drunks, checking ID's etc...

TexasGlock23
08-19-2006, 19:55
how guaranteed is that? I would love to be a dog handler! I initially wanted to go into the AF, but my recruiter screwed off way too much. So I chose the USN. Im lost at what to do...

DHansen
08-21-2006, 07:25
I'm not sure if you can get the K-9 school as a guarantee. You may, but I would doubt it. It should fall under the realm of "C" schools, which your recruiter is not able to guarantee. Speak with a recruiter though - it might be a special program to enlist into.

TexasGlock23
08-21-2006, 08:34
no he didn't say I could enlist into it, he just stated that once I am MA, I could ask for it. Thanks for the heads up though. Anything can and will help me.

deadhead
08-27-2006, 18:13
Have you thought about boatswain's mate (BM)? The hours are long in the deck division, but you can pick up the LE NEC (9545) and do LE stuff on base and on some smaller ships. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to work on small boats, which have a few cool toys...