scent-elimination clothing: silver v. scentlok [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : scent-elimination clothing: silver v. scentlok

Cicero
08-17-2006, 12:21
I'm looking advice on the efficacy of the silver thread antimicrobial scent elimination systems (like X-Static) versus scentlok. I've used scentlok in the past (borrowed) and it seemed to work fine, but I'm attracted by the lower prices of the silver lined systems.

Any comments would be welcome.

GeorgiaGlockMan
08-17-2006, 16:40
I've got some of the silver thread base layers that I've worn under a scent blocker suit and other regular camo cloths.

I think they are a good part of an overall scent minimization strategy. Washing, scent control cloths, etc.

The big difference is supposed to be microbial scent related prevention vs total scent containment.

I've had deer come down wind of me often in either circumstance without being busted. More often than not if I get busted I think it is probably from them seeing movement.

I think the stuff (silver and scent suits) work to give you an edge, but with that said I think I have more luck from the fact that I hunt really high in a climber (25-30 ft) with the wind to my face.

Happy Hunting!

Cicero
08-18-2006, 07:57
Thanks!

After more research yesterday, it looks like scent lok will be better if I just want to take off hunting after a day at work since it stops all scent going out. Thus, if I have to go hunting while covered in the smells of the office and personal hygiene, I want scent lok.

The silver stuff looks like it would be better on a week-long trip where I only have room for two or three sets of base layer because it kills off the bacteria, but it wouldn't stop a deer from smelling the coffee I spilled on myself that morning.

Based on this and your advice, I'll have to get both. I'm sure Mrs. Cicero will approve.