Best shoulder holster for deployment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best shoulder holster for deployment

AWMP
08-17-2006, 13:03
Going back to the sand box, last time used a local made shoulder holster, was ok, but not the greatest.
Any suggestions?

Mterada
08-20-2006, 17:16
leg or belt if you may actually have to use your pistol

shoulder is impractical and gets in the way, unless you are pretty sure you'll be at a secure fob where the shoulder holster is more convenient to goto chow with in your pts

Biscuitsjam
08-22-2006, 17:51
Shoulder holsters can also be more useful on tanks and some other vehicles, because they are less likely to get hung on stuff or otherwise get in the way.

But, if you aren't in one of those jobs, I'd get a leg holster if I were you.

{TEX}Hawaii 5-0
09-14-2006, 17:59
I used a paddle holster last time and the few of us that had them were the envy of the other 9MM carriers....that was for FOB use only.

AK_Stick
09-25-2006, 00:14
Galco.

Love mine, but then again, I'm aviation, so I dont do much like any other unit....

RENEA
10-14-2006, 05:42
Originally posted by AWMP
Going back to the sand box, last time used a local made shoulder holster, was ok, but not the greatest.
Any suggestions?

Sir,
I'd suggest checking out the following. Personally I'm not a fan of shoulder rigs but here are some for you to consider.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Blade-Tech-Shoulder-Holster-w-Double-Mag-Pouch-pr-812.html#product_images

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Under_Armor/under_armor.html

I always carried my M9 in a Safariland thigh rig when deployed for easier access.

Hope these help you out. :patriot:

Biscuitsjam
10-17-2006, 18:18
In the sandbox, you won't wear your body armor 24/7, but you'll always need your weapon with you.

That means that you need to be able to quickly adjust your holster from wearing it over armor, to wearing it over just your uniform blouse. It may also help to get a holster that buckles together in the front, in case you'll be moving around a lot while wearing it.

I bought an Eagle tanker holster, but I wasn't very happy with it. I don't have any specific models to recommend.

jobe1911
10-30-2006, 19:35
safariland dropleg holster.

it's the best.

had a blackhawk that fell apart after 6 months of duty.

AK_Stick
10-31-2006, 03:24
unless ofcorse you ever wear PT's at what point drop leg holsters suck......

Personaly I've had great service from my Blackhawk, its been to Panama, DS I OEF, and OIF now, and still in great shape.

armorer327
10-31-2006, 14:20
I used the Blackhawk horizontal shoulder rig around the FOB until the main backstrap fell apart. That lasted about six months though. I ended up switching to an issue leather shoulder holster till' I had to give up my M-9.

Another alternative is London Bridge Trading Company's horizontal shoulder rig.

RockSix
11-01-2006, 17:43
Use the issue holster with a thumb strap, on your chest (IBA), use a paddle in the FOB. Drop legs are hard to get to in a vehicle, plus you lose a pocket.

RockSix

Flinter
11-01-2006, 19:42
Just returned home myself. While I carried only my rifle over there, I am very completely satisfied with my Blackhawk SERPA holster and know they make Belt loop, paddle, drop leg, Armor and shoulder converable systems for it. Keep your head down over there.

ILL DILL
11-02-2006, 12:11
These are what I had.

1. Standard pistol belt and GI holster - Easy to use, can be thrown on with PT's or what ever else. Fast.

2. Drop leg, brand doesn't matter. It is more difficult to get in and out of a vehicle. However, after seeing a set up a really liked I moved it from the side of my leg (blocking pocket) to the front of my thigh. That is the ****. Didn't lose a pocket, never got in the way getting in or out of vehicles. Never snagged.

I wouldn't bother with a shoulder holster unless you will be in a position that restricts you to post, or your a tanker, or your an aviator.

Good luck.

stevethemp
11-11-2006, 17:51
I'm going to agree with the suggestion for the Blackhawk SERPA holster. Depending on what you'll be doing, they do make many attachments for it. I was a Law and Order MP based in Kuwait in 04-05 and used a CQC SERPA holster on my duty belt and as soon as they came out, bought the drop leg SERPA holster. A suggestion i picked up from from Naval Spec War guys i talked to is that when you are riding in a vehicle, don't wear the holster on the side of your leg, instead put it closer to the top of your leg, almost with the weapon pointed at the engine block. This configuration aids in a faster draw if needed (trust me) and will aid in the ease of a rapid dismount. hope this helps.

SPC Steve DeHaan
430th MP Det (L&O)

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4246&d=
that's the link for the drop leg.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4025&d=
that's the one i wore on my duty belt.

Joe30045
11-18-2006, 01:28
I no longer carry a pistol, except during CQB. I made the decision that the gain was not worth the tradeoff in weight and space to carry extra stuff(shells/mags/CAT's/IFAK). It also didn't help that our 1911's have been taken up for refurbishment. I may change my mind when/if we get them back. Having said that, I am not a fan of shoulder holsters. To many times around the FOB, I have found myself looking down barrels I would rather not be looking down. How do I know which of those cats are violating orders and has actually loaded the thing? I don't, so I always get a lil nervous. Stay safe.
Joe

Postal Patron
11-23-2006, 12:17
I used a shoulder holster when I got over there and I always had to go back to the drop leg one when getting my body armor on. Also tiresome during long period since most of the weight is one side.

On the other hand a shoulder holster is easier when you have to take a dump.

In the end I exclusively used a drop holster since it was easier and you got used to it better and during your time off (going to bed) I just took my M4 with me to take a leak cause it was easier anyway and I had more firepower, instead of putting the shoulder rig on.

So for me it was either M4 in PT gear or drop leg for uniform since the shoulder rig does not adjust well to on/off body armor. At least mine didn't.

USDefender
12-05-2006, 12:37
Depends on the MOS, IMO.

I used an Uncle Mike's synthetic shoulder holster when I was a Blackhawk crewchief. Belt holster just wouldn't have worked - climbing in & out & all over the bird.

I would surmise that other constantly mounted 'mech' soldiers (i.e. Abrams, Bradleys, Hummvees) would have a similar experience. Dis-mounted MOSs, however, are a different story.

AK_Stick
12-05-2006, 21:19
Originally posted by Joe30045
I am not a fan of shoulder holsters. To many times around the FOB, I have found myself looking down barrels I would rather not be looking down. How do I know which of those cats are violating orders and has actually loaded the thing? I don't, so I always get a lil nervous. Stay safe.
Joe

Uh, why does that matter? its in a holster, they dont just go off when they decide to.....

Joe30045
12-05-2006, 22:00
I used to think so as well. I have seen and heard to many that have apparently just decided to spontaneously expel the round in the chamber. Strangest thing you have ever seen. Ya hear the BOOM and look up and the dude is standing there with a sheepish grin, hands nowhere near the gun and a piece of brass rolling to a stop nearby. Rare occurence ya say? Once in a lifetime in your vicinity is enough to make you leery of it.

KingSapper
12-06-2006, 01:07
In my job as an ETT, we do alot of mount/dismount from 1151's in combined ops with the ANA. The Blackhawk SERPA is very popular in both the IBA chest mounted and the drop leg variant. The shoulder holsters are great if you don't live out in the weeds at a remote fire-base, because you can pack your M9 around in your PT's or what-have-you.

Out where I'm at, no one wears shoulder rigs due to the time it takes to get the weapon out and into play. Most popular holsters for ODA, ETT and ISAF forces is either the hip mount or the drop leg.

It's true that drop legs kinda suck when you're in a vehicle, but if you think you're going to need your M9 when you're mounted it should be in your lap anyway in my opinion.

I met with some Dutch Marines today, and was jealous that they're carrying Glocks. What I wouldn't give for my G20 right now..

SGT Will
Afghanistan

AK_Stick
12-08-2006, 03:06
then he either had something in there, or had a faulty weapon. Guns dont just go off by themselves, they require some outside stimuli to operate.

Blitzer
12-08-2006, 03:10
In the first sandbox war many units choose Galco products due to their resistance to heat and fuels.

Joe30045
12-08-2006, 04:09
I forgot to annotate "sarcasm on" at the start of my previous post. Believe it or not, if you follow the FM on loading the M9, you could inadvertently have an AD. Of course, you would have to be doing something else wrong (finger on the trigger), or have a mechanical failure.

Biscuitsjam
12-08-2006, 15:14
Originally posted by KingSapper
Out where I'm at, no one wears shoulder rigs due to the time it takes to get the weapon out and into play. Most popular holsters for ODA, ETT and ISAF forces is either the hip mount or the drop leg.

It's true that drop legs kinda suck when you're in a vehicle, but if you think you're going to need your M9 when you're mounted it should be in your lap anyway in my opinion.As a tanker, my head and shoulders were out of the hatch. I also typically had one or both hands up high (on weapon, holding binos or night vision, bracing myself, etc.) It was much easier for me to reach a pistol strapped to my chest than to reach way down inside to get one off my leg. Plus, anything strapped to my leg would constantly get hung up on stuff, whereas the chest rig didn't have that problem. And, a pistol strapped to the side of my leg would interfere with the knee switch.

As everyone else has said in this thread though, what works for you is personal and depends largely upon your job. For me, a leg holster was entirely impractical. (In actuality, I left my pistol in the barracks 95% of the time)

Mr. Ajax
12-21-2006, 21:50
I'm finishing up with combat medic school here soon and I'm giong to be buying an 92 so I can get familiar with it, and I was looking at holster options myself. I liked the serpa, but I'm also looking at a chest rig too. I'll probably try a couple options and toss what doesnt work into the pile but at over $100 all said and done I'd rather not experiment. any feedback is always appreciated.

I'm headed to ft. hood when I'm done here, ASK doesnt say crap about my unit though so it could be 3rd ACR, 1st cav, or 4th ID (but they're phasing to ft. carson so I'm not sure about that)

I'd love to be able to bring a g21, sigh...

AWMP
02-21-2007, 16:29
We went with Serpa Leg Holster, Blackhawk makes a nice rig, and leather shoulder holsters.

michigandude
03-16-2007, 06:45
My unit issued us safariland dropleg holster and for the most part it is adequate.

If you can, you need to look for something that mounts in the middle of your chest. That allows for easily accessibility under most circumstances. It allows someone with an injured arm access to the weapon.

jjadkins1
04-14-2007, 22:01
Got a native shoulder in Afghanistan. Used a Spec ops drop down with my body armor. Worked great in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sigmund79
05-05-2007, 23:30
This is a very personal decision, you need the following.

A shoulder holster for PT's no exceptions - Get whatever you like and fits your budget, this is just a carrier and should not have any operational use.

Go with the blackhawk sherpa with the molle attachment pad to put on your IBA - drop leg holster's blow for driving, and if you have to take a crap drop leg's are a pain in the butt literally. If you have to go to your pistol it is close and easy to get to, you dont have to push pull, toss your rifle out of the way to get your pistol it is right up on your chest. Also with all of the additions to the IBA you are like a turtle and have little range of motion, on your chest its a quick pull.

For your Rifle, I have loved the wolf hook, I dont know all those high speed slings just make me feel insecure my sling always got caught on something, the wolf hook, your weapon is just there always.

Now, if you are bob on the fob, working all day in an office, the shoulder holster may be just fine, you may also want to look at the Sherpa holster with the belt loop that one is nice for carring your pistol around on your hip keeps it out of your pits and makes it easier to work on a puter.

If you are cheap you can also just go ahead and pocket holster it =D

You will also need a lanyard for your pistol, I know many brigades require them. That and if something happens out you know the bad guys wont get your pistol.

Well thats my $.02, remember it is all personal preferance so get what you will be comfortable with. But IMHO drop leg holsters look cool but are a pain in the ass, they chaff your leg, make you loose two pockets due to the holster being in the way and with all the body armor and driving all the time make your pistol inaccessable.

JimP
05-23-2007, 14:06
Forget the shoulder holster - they just don't work. If you need to get your pistol in a hurry, it ain't gonna work. Go with the drop leg if you have to but ALSO by a holster to mount on your chest and body armor. You can't access a drop leg in a vehicle (nor a shoulder holster). I just used an ammo pouch on my chest and cinched the top down around the handle. Worked great.

skx762
06-22-2007, 07:55
I agree with Sigmund, I like a selection and the capability to "accesorize". I have a leather issue holster rigged up Miami vice style for PTs and FOB wear, a Serpa for IBA, a Mikes paddle holster for when I get tired of the shoulder holster and the Bianchi for alternate IBA wear. I had to mount it low on the firing side of my IBA to get so I could reach it.

I love the new phone cord style lanyards, much better than the olds style cord ones.

I have had to go prone three times using a belt or leg holster and just a point to consider is expect to dig sand out of your pistol that night. The Serpa was way worse than the Bianchi (top flap helped a little bit).

You need to check out a way to carry ammo too. Just a heads up, the Serpa ammo pouch has dropped a mag on me in the HMMWV once so far. I like snap or velcro pouches a little better.