20lb line and 12lb reel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 20lb line and 12lb reel

jolt8me
08-18-2006, 15:16
i have a reel rated for 12lbs/120yds and a rod rated at 15lbs at 110yds. What would happen if i put 20lb line on it?

noway
08-18-2006, 16:39
It would just carry less total length in line. The difference in total amount of line is all due to thickness of the line.

Picture putting some thread on a spool vrs a 3" rope, how much of the smaller thread could you get on vrs the 3" dia rope?

Also why do you think you need a 20lb line?

>Bigger line are not as sensitive
> in some reels don't cast good
> fall rate is not as good as a smaller diameter line
> and is highly visible to the fish

Only advantage a thicker dia line offer is abrasive and tuff if the size of fish+lure wrarants

IMHO, if you are fishing freshwater species such as bass and panfish 10lb maybe 12lb is tops.

fwiw: if you need more large diameter line than what's stated on your spool, get a bigger reel just my 2 cts opinion.

jolt8me
08-18-2006, 18:03
fishing for catfish and soon salmon and steelhead. I drift fish sometimes and i hit tree limbs and small rocks and lose a lot of lures. I was thinking with a stronger fishing line i would have a better chance of retrieving my line without losing my lure.

NYGunman
08-18-2006, 19:23
Originally posted by jolt8me
fishing for catfish and soon salmon and steelhead. I drift fish sometimes and i hit tree limbs and small rocks and lose a lot of lures. I was thinking with a stronger fishing line i would have a better chance of retrieving my line without losing my lure. I fish for king salmon in the rivers and the max you should use is 17 pound test. My preferred mainline is Trilene XT and I run an 8 pound fluorocarbon leader. Avoid Spiderwire and the like lines. They are great tough lines but not good for salmon fishing as the line has a tendency to dig into itself.

To avoid losing a lot of setups, try tying a single stand of fishing line off of the swivel. Attach a splitshot to this piece of line. When the sinker gets caught in the rocks it will just slip free of your line. All you have to do is attach another split shot instead of the whole rig.

Steelhead fisherman use between 4 and 12 pound test.